Poll

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Boss Battles - Six years...  (Read 1604243 times)

In response to Sleven posting a few pages back he wanted to express his complaints about the server, I would think that belongs here.  I've played on this server since it was started (December of last year, I believe) and it has definitely improved a lot since then and I think Pecon would want it to continue improving.  I'm going to list some things that should be added, in my opinion.  I'm not doing this because I'm admin here now, I'm doing this because I've been playing on this server for a while now and I want to see it continue to get better.

THE TIME LIMIT:
Your time when playing as the boss is set.  You have 8 minutes to either kill everyone or capture the point.  It doesn't matter whether you're facing 10 people or 30, your time is set.  It shouldn't be like this.  Time should be something that is affected by many factors.  How many people you kill, how many mini-bosses are present/have been killed, and how many players are on the server should probably affect how much time you get to win.  I've seen many bosses (particularly people who just learned how to jump with the shockwave) ignore their role as boss and simply jump all over the arena.  If you're fighting a Ephialtes or Badspot who is ignoring the main purpose of the game it's going to be a waste of 8 minutes without any kills besides those who died of fall damage.  The main time factor should probably be players killed and mini-bosses killed.  I've been thinking that the time by default should start at 4-5 minutes and increase as the boss kills players (or a certain percentage of players based on how many there are on the server) and mini-bosses (which should just directly add time since they're a hassle to kill).

BOSSES:
The boss lineup at the moment is pretty good but as with everything could be worked on a bit more.  I'm probably going to list some things here and in other places that have already been noted but since there is no public to-do list I have no information about it.

• Penthselia:  My favorite boss.  I like playing Penth because it's more of a challenge to win as him.  You have a spear and a sword and your only tool for getting around the arena quickly is to spearjump.  You're slow and literally a big target for backstabs.  The only thing I recommend for Penth is a stronger spear and lower health.  I've many times survived backstabs and still been able to win.  Rockets and tank shells will blast him far away but in the long run don't do very much damage.  The only way to damage Penth noticeably is to have a team with some good spies and pyros.  Otherwise, if the boss is a decent player and doesn't get backstabbed the round will easily last the full 8 minutes resulting in a long wait for those who want to play.

• Mocheeze:  Probably a model update... if that will ever happen (kidding, it's not that big of a deal).  Mocheeze is "balanced" in that he has extremely low health but moves very quickly and is virtually always in mid air.  The only class that does real damage to a Mocheeze that can dodge heavy bullets and doesn't stand still is a Rifleman (which are typically heavily targeted by people who have played as Mocheeze before).  I personally don't really like Mocheeze because of this.  It's not much of a team effort to win against him because half your team can't land a hit on him (especially without a raycast weapon).

• Dark Samus:  I hardly play Dark Samus for the reason that it's not as much of a challenge and isn't as fun as Penth (once again, my opinion).  Lately I haven't really liked Dark Samus because players who are good with him will easily tear a team apart, but it should probably remain that way (especially if you're actually good with the boss).  However, Dark Samus is overpowered in some regards.  The phazon shield (I believe that's what it's called) makes Dark Samus invincible while in use.  During one round I've backstabbed Dark Samus twice while using his "shield" and it did no damage (which means any other kind of projectile doesn't, either).  I know it's called a shield but it should probably work as more of a barrier, especially since it actually does damage (so is it a shield or not?).  I recommend making it like Rotondo's roar so it's partly a disadvantage instead of a full-on advantage.  The only other thing I can think of is Dark Samus' charged laser which instantly kills most classes.  Penthselia has a spear as his main weapon and the only class it kills instantly is a scout.  Dark Samus has many more options of weaponry than Penth does and he gets an insta-kill laser on his side (I think the only normal class this doesn't kill instantly is the Overweight, and I'm not even sure about that).

CLASSES:
Once again, may say some things I've either said previously (about the healer) and things that are already on the to-do list.  Doesn't hurt to say them again I suppose.

• Rocketman:  My favorite class (see the pattern here?).  The rocketman is equipped with the halo rocket launcher (why?) and the shotgun.  The halo rocket launcher is one of the worst rocket launchers I can think of but it's much better than the released TF2 rocket launcher (not model wise, though).  It's good that you're able to rocket jump and that's the main reason I play as rocketman.  However, the reload time on the rocket is pretty ridiculous (it's at least 3 times longer than the default) and you can "exploit" this reload by "QQing" the weapon (un-equipping and re-equipping it).  This way the reload isn't too ridiculous but it can be extremely annoying to a boss.  I know Rotondo has been configured where he has much more mass and isn't as easily affected by rockets but an easier solution would probably be to just decrease the impulse the rocket launcher has.  I recommend reducing the impulse, increasing the damage, and increasing the fire rate.

• Healer:  I don't know if the healer gets points for how many people he uses ubercharge on (or for even using ubercharge) but that would probably be nice.  The healer should be a much more active part of the team, but unfortunately he is extremely slow and is one of the easiest targets for a boss.  I've said this before but I recommend making the healer faster and heal 1 HP every second (as he does in TF2).  Also, the medic is the 2nd fastest class in TF2, I don't see why he's remained so slow for so long here.

• Detonator:  Easily the most under-powered class on the server.  The detonator should be an incredibly powerful class but he is very disadvantaged due to his weapons.  You should be able to sticky jump with your stickies, first off.  I've modified the sticky launcher's script myself and made this possible (sure, you still take damage but it's not nearly as bad as the standard one).  With my edit you can also survive sticky jumps using 3 or more but will probably end up dying of fall damage if not planned or experienced (which isn't too bad, some classes do require more skill than others (bosses too, right Dark Samus?)).  The faecpwner was added months ago as a replacement for the grenade launcher... a bad move.  The faecpwner does do a lot of damage (most noticeable against Kaje) but its reload time renders it useless against any non-Kaje boss.  I've also edited the grenade launcher a bit but I'm definitely not the best scripter.  I recommend using the grenade launcher again and editing it so it explodes on contact after bouncing (in TF2 it doesn't do this but it works a lot nicer in Blockland) and removing the weird reload time after 4 shots (basically just letting you fire a pill with the only reload in between your shots).  It should probably also be much more powerful and able to blast the boss a bit more.

• Runner:  He's good at running, that's for sure.  With the force-a-nature and his double jump, the runner has 2 methods to survive a large fall.  The only thing I recommend for the runner is to reduce the impulse of the force-a-nature a bit (it's huge and probably too effective on bosses like Spyro).  This could probably be countered a bit by giving the runner a secondary pistol or something (I know the currently released TF2 pistol isn't good, though).

• Infiltrator:  There isn't much to complain about the infiltrator.  I have seen some comments about the backstab being overpowered but with the ping and the fact it isn't an instant hit like it is in TF2, backstabs can often be hard to come by with good bosses...  However, backstabs in TF2 (saxton hale mode) do not instantly kill the boss.  I've thought about having the backstab do a set percentage of damage based on their total health but it would probably be too much work for what it's worth.  The other thing I actually do recommend for the infiltrator is heightening his jump (why is it so low?  there's no reason that he should jump as low as he does).

I think this concludes my huge list of things I believe need to be worked on.  I guess it's not too huge, it's just that I wrote quite a lot for each subject.  This is a gigantic word wall but I wouldn't take my time to write this if I didn't care about the server.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:58:58 PM by Manty »

Thanks for the suggestions Manty. I'll probably have time to work on a few of them later.

One thing I've been wondering- why not add a Renderman boss? Renderman is a very popular character in Blockland and he'd probably be fun to play as

Wow, 1337 Damage. XD

I think the detonator should use Khains Grenade l.

Found little something that could be fixed.
I don't have pecon's trust so I can't fix it myself.
Ninjaedit: I saw a rocketman get up there
DoubleEdit: I just remembered I have build trust. Should I make it instant kill? Evented the same as the others?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:59:11 PM by AirGlider »

• Rocketman:  My favorite class (see the pattern here?).  The rocketman is equipped with the halo rocket launcher (why?) and the shotgun.  The halo rocket launcher is one of the worst rocket launchers I can think of but it's much better than the released TF2 rocket launcher (not model wise, though).  It's good that you're able to rocket jump and that's the main reason I play as rocketman.  However, the reload time on the rocket is pretty ridiculous (it's at least 3 times longer than the default) and you can "exploit" this reload by "QQing" the weapon (un-equipping and re-equipping it).  This way the reload isn't too ridiculous but it can be extremely annoying to a boss.  I know Rotondo has been configured where he has much more mass and isn't as easily affected by rockets but an easier solution would probably be to just decrease the impulse the rocket launcher has.  I recommend reducing the impulse, increasing the damage, and increasing the fire rate.

• Healer:  I don't know if the healer gets points for how many people he uses ubercharge on (or for even using ubercharge) but that would probably be nice.  The healer should be a much more active part of the team, but unfortunately he is extremely slow and is one of the easiest targets for a boss.  I've said this before but I recommend making the healer faster and heal 1 HP every second (as he does in TF2).  Also, the medic is the 2nd fastest class in TF2, I don't see why he's remained so slow for so long here.

• Detonator:  Easily the most under-powered class on the server.  The detonator should be an incredibly powerful class but he is very disadvantaged due to his weapons.  You should be able to sticky jump with your stickies, first off.  I've modified the sticky launcher's script myself and made this possible (sure, you still take damage but it's not nearly as bad as the standard one).  With my edit you can also survive sticky jumps using 3 or more but will probably end up dying of fall damage if not planned or experienced (which isn't too bad, some classes do require more skill than others (bosses too, right Dark Samus?)).  The faecpwner was added months ago as a replacement for the grenade launcher... a bad move.  The faecpwner does do a lot of damage (most noticeable against Kaje) but its reload time renders it useless against any non-Kaje boss.  I've also edited the grenade launcher a bit but I'm definitely not the best scripter.  I recommend using the grenade launcher again and editing it so it explodes on contact after bouncing (in TF2 it doesn't do this but it works a lot nicer in Blockland) and removing the weird reload time after 4 shots (basically just letting you fire a pill with the only reload in between your shots).  It should probably also be much more powerful and able to blast the boss a bit more.

So much this

One thing I've been wondering- why not add a Renderman boss? Renderman is a very popular character in Blockland and he'd probably be fun to play as
Renderman is probably the most annoying thing I have ever heard of in Blockland, one of the reasons Pecon probably doesnt host his server in Bedroom Dark anymore is probably because idiots would look and as where is the renderman instead of actually playing the damn game.

Although I think it may be a good Idea, I think this would cause people to talk more about renderman instead of just talking normal about other stuff.I think we should have more video game based bosses like Dark Samus.

Like Omega from Megaman ZX(The Dark Red Guy on the Right)
This video show I think nearly all of his attacks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBkVTPTiDA

At 3:44 the video shows the Devastating 7 - Hit combo saber attack.

I only think Omega would be a Nice boss because the boss is red and he is....Dark Red, but that doesn't matter, as far as I know no one has ever made, or finished weapons from Megaman Zero or Zx, Omega is basically only very good at close range, but his two shot charge blast and saber slash manage to hit you sometimes,
the Ground pound attack that heals I don't think is needed, well maybe it can be made without the healing, the saber slices per click.

Playertype Stats:
Double Jump
Fast
Med. HP
Stays still when doing 7 - Hit combo, Double Charge Shot Slash, air slash attack, ground pounds.
Able to "Dash" by pushing right click.
Able to dash in mid-air once per jump(Disables double jump when air dash is performed)
Dash Jumping(Dash >Jump, Long jump)

Main Weapon 1st slot : O - Saber
First 3 clicks make a slash attack
Dashing while Slashing makes a dash slash
When charged makes a bigger slash.

2nd Slot: O - Buster
Needs to be charged to use
1st two clicks shoot a charged shot and the third shoots a saber slash.
Has a timeout/cooldown of 10,15 or 7 seconds?

3rd Slot - Ground Attack
On no charge just pushes the ground creating a very weak shockwave(sort of like Rotondo), damages players but doesn't launch them or anything
On full Charge Makes 7 Beams of light that circle around you.
Damaging players if they touch it.

4th slot - 7 Hit Combo
Technically a attack that is performed with the O - Saber, You need to be righht in front of the enemy to use it and close, has a timeout/cooldown of 10/15/7 second where the weapon can not be used in that time.

What amount of damage the weapons should cause would be decided by the maker.

I have other boss ideas too, if you want me to post them you should ask me some time, I don't think this one would require much custom animations, I don't think it should even require any.

I can make reference models for the weapons if needed.
I think Armyunit made a model of the Omega Saber, I don't know if he made anything else but he said he was working on other stuff.

Edit:Also I understand there has been a lack of admins online, I will try to be online more often, I was at Newport Beach today, I'll be online in a moment

Just to be clear my Timezone is PST, in case you don't get to see me online.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:25:17 PM by ShadowZero »

Yeah it's good to have good grammar, but why are some people so picky about it? We're typing fast, most people aren't going to review their post several times to make sure that there aren't any grammar or punctuation mistakes.
Hopefully you aren't typing so fast that you make those errors. You should be going slow and carefully considering how you are presenting yourself through your writing. I type fast, but even then I don't make stupid spelling mistakes.

Nope, he's right about players standing on top of the buttons.  In the past few days I've experienced this 5 or 6 times when standing on top of the button to choose rocketman.  I will spawn without any weapons and the player who clicked will remain in the spawn room with the weapons.
I've heard of this problem a lot lately. I wouldn't bother with repairing it as the updates are rumored to come out soon.

Is it okay for people to grief on the server about not getting admin? I'm getting real tired with Broze who keeps making Jetz sound all bad.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:38:52 AM by SkyHawk »

-My pants are wet. And not with urine-
Sounds like a complicated, but extremely fun boss.

My eyes bleed every time they move over Zombie in the Bluzone. King of General Discussion, puh-lease!

Also, here's a little something for Mega-man fans: http://memebase.com/2012/08/06/internet-memes-fandom-base-youre-mine-little-man/

EDIT: This is Badspot's car. I'm sure: http://memebase.com/2012/08/04/internet-memes-the-car-of-the-internet/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:30:08 AM by SkyHawk »

Considering I hadn't played Blockland (or at least online; I usually spend life in single player) for, like, six months, I decided to play it once more for the fun of it.

This was the first server I played on in a long while, and can I say, Pecon, that you've reignited my love for this game. The game itself is reminiscent to that of a mashup between things like Quake and SW:BF2. And I've also witnessed some other things, like hordes of players collapsing on a single figure in an orgy of explosions and colour.

This is honestly one of the most brilliant thing's I've ever seen and played. Keep up the good work.

-aaaaa-
Re: Dark Samus
The barrier would be more solid if that were possible, reflecting projectiles itself if it could, but it is just an effect, and isn't actually solid. I don't think there is a good way for the barrier to actually block attacks, so the solution is to render DS invincible. If I could make the barrier solid, you wouldn't be able to get close to him while it is active in the first place, anyway. The scatter-shot is not an instant kill, but the sustained fire can do someone in pretty quick. I have tried several things to nerf it, though I think I know of another.

As for everything else, I added to the to-do list the need to transcribe all that other stuff onto the to-do list. The time limit may be difficult, depending on how slayer handles it, but many other things may be easily possible.