Poll

Should I consider secondary developers?

No, retain the purity. One man, one mod, ein reich!
Yes.

Author Topic: CityRPG  (Read 81843 times)

Do you remember my CameraPath type idea I had for train transport? It is purely a cherry on top and doesn't add anything much to the game. Where the player can go to a station and board a train, then a camera path will play out following the railway it will appear to the player as if the train is moving, again purely a cherry on top.

If I recall correctly (which I may not have) you were against this idea but having a stock market type system where prices of resources/products are affected by the players themselves. Though not as badly done as in Diggy's where a couple of guys could sell one tick, then buy when lumber is very low, block entry the next tick and then sell on the 4th tick. This meant people just joining the game were capable of making 20k in first hour, ect.

An idea I've had for City RP's is building contracts. I think this is something city RP's really need.

Government contracts it seems obvious in blockland.

For example a new town is starting to gain more residents and new buildings are needed; police station, hospital, whatever... Instead of the admin's building this themselves, prospective builders will compete for the contract. My idea of how this would work is Admin/Mayor would put up a job in the city bulletin* saying Building X is needed and the payment will be listed. To get the job players will first have to pay an optional deposit to show they are committed and show the mayor buildings you have built in the city or maybe link to a gallery topic. Once the contract has been given the player should complete the building within a time set by developer. Once this time in the RP is reached the Mayor will get a message asking them if they are happy with the building or not. If yes the builder gets the deposit back plus the agreed payment and the bricks will then become the contractor's. If the mayor is unhappy the bricks will be destroyed excluding the lot or the two parties can also negotiate an increase in the time provided

Not sure what is possible and what isn't but I think the idea of contracts could be good and give a sense that the mayor is important... or the mayor could be a dictator and pay for statues of them all over the city.

*A City Bulletin, a small newspaper in which players can pay to post adverts (come to Hoogle's Cafe! sorta thing), could contain information about resource prices, recent crimes, model citizens and maybe the Mayor could put press statements in it.
    +Another power the mayor could have is controlling what goes in the bulletin, censoring adverts if they are corrupt and want a friend to get business.

What's your opinion on lots within a lot? Such as having an apartment building with room lots which can be rented out (different from having to give trust to people you don't know) or Malls who have lots inside that can be rented out and the Mall owner can collect a percentage of what the tenant sells.

1. I have never thought of a good inter-city transport and I don't think it's worth the effort. If I'm going to build a train station, it will be using teledoors.
2. Stock markets sound abusable and not really fun, but maybe.
3. I suppose the idea of contracts would work. I need a city anyways. This is making me think of another system which would take time and I already have a lot to do.
4. A newspaper will be in the works.
5. Putting lots on top of one another will never work. I cannot think of a single sustainable way to keep ownership from loving up during saving/loading.

4. A newspaper will be in the works.
Reminds me of the time I'd trick people into selling them a newspaper deal, where I'd deliver it to their property everyday...what a scam  :cookieMonster:

Can factories set a price that they buy/sell materials/plastic for?

Yes.

{Laborer} -> Resource -> [Raw Plastic] -> Factory -> {Factory Worker} -> [Refined Plastic] -> {Store Owner} -> [Crate of Plastic] -> Lot -> [Products]

-> buyPlastic [0.250 - 2.000] [Quota] ($ per Plastic, Maximum Plastic you will allow yourself to have on hand)
-> doWork [0.250 - 0.750] (% of labor profits towards laborer)
-> sellPlastic [1.000 - 5.000] ($ per plastic)

I'm just going to go ahead and delete my start of a CityRPG now, as this pretty much is the SAME exact idea.

Doctors are a useless concept in a game about lego people.
And why is that?  If you have massive penalties for death, people are going to need a way to heal themselves.  If crime is rampant, there will be a pressing need for some form of medical assistance.

You heal automatically by waiting. After X seconds after being injured, you slowly regain health based on your hunger.

It's a passive benefit of eating. There are lots of these to accommodate the removal of starvation.

While dead you should be blinded.

Why?
Well. If death isn't that much of a punishment because you get respawned n like 30 secs. At least don't give the advantage to look and whatever they want without a limit.

You lose all your items and money. 30 seconds is a long wait, they should at least get some eye candy.

"stuff, I'm dead"
*clickclickclickclick*
*respawn*

It's like nothing's there.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Nvm then.

You lose all your items and money. 30 seconds is a long wait, they should at least get some eye candy.
Well, I know that it becomes a physical item where you died. But why not make it so you have o click ans obtain it from the dead player. Then just when emptied of his items/money, make him an all red player that you can move around by right clicking and holding down. Jut thought of that from half Ports server have []---[]'/ server. :o

That's actually a not-terrible idea, but the amount of logic and game-hacking needed to get bodies to stick around with proper garbage collection is a bit iffy.

Still, bodies would be fantastic for the clue system.