Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430266 times)

How slow do you want the game to run... -- kompressor
?

You think mirrors cost nothing to render? -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:57:44 PM by kompressor »

Will fog finally effect bricks? Right now DTS shapes will fade in/out in distance while bricks are just popping up

We hope to support this. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:57:59 PM by kompressor »

?

You think mirrors cost nothing to render? -- kompressor
I don't understand...

We don't want to add a complicated feature that makes the game run slow. Mirrors are a great example of this kind of feature. So we are not thinking about mirrors. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:59:04 PM by kompressor »

I don't understand...
mirrors have to re render everything AGAIN for people. it's double the rendering power needed. though i'm sure i can handle it :)

Will I be able to make bricks look like terrain magically?

No -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:59:42 PM by kompressor »

I don't understand...
For mirrors to work the game must render the entire world twice, so it would eat up twice the amount of resources.

kompressor, this topic is moving really fast, and since I have college work to do, I really don't have time to follow it. If you find time, could you dump your responses you do into a .txt file and put them into the OP every now and then so we don't have to be constantly on alert for when you respond to a question we might think up? I don't want to put a workload on you, but I can see how frustrated you are with people asking the samee questions, and I don't have time to make sure it hasn't been asked yet since wordings can be vastly different from our own. you understand?

Just wait till it comes out and you can just pay it and see it as it is. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:00:29 PM by kompressor »

Think of how a mirror would function.
It would just be a screen with another player camera on that you could look at, right?

I don't understand...

We don't want to add a complicated feature that makes the game run slow. Mirrors are a great example of this kind of feature. So we are not thinking about mirrors. -- kompressor
mirrors have to basically render an entire copy of the visible world inside the mirror, that would make the game run much slower.

Edit: well crud, that reply to extrude was hilarious and now it's gone, too late to sig it. lol
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:03:18 PM by Mysteroo »

Welp, as mapping is pretty much doomed to have interiors and terrain stripped, i might as well give in.
As long as I still have my static shapes, I could still make maps that have a bit more detail than your average slate edit, for example a flat desert map with a few pyramids and trees with plenty of space to build on.

Now that I think about it, it's not that bad.

Everything looks better in the morning! -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:01:17 PM by kompressor »

I agree, I was freaking out at first. Now I'm thinking of a few ideas to make it work.

is it possible to render a surface (although since interiors are gone but let me say this)

that was like a mirror

but it was a static image
that is like a screenshot of the rest of its opposite

taken once
or maybe once in a while
or taken at a specific time that the host decides

or when it's created

how stupid is that

This is not happening in this update. Mirrors are offtopic for this thread and I'll nuke discussion of them. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:07:18 PM by kompressor »

Welp, as mapping is pretty much doomed to have interiors and terrain stripped, i might as well give in.
As long as I still have my static shapes, I could still make maps that have a bit more detail than your average slate edit, for example a flat desert map with a few pyramids and trees with plenty of space to build on.

Now that I think about it, it's not that bad.

Everything looks better in the morning! -- kompressor
not all "hope is lost" either. they aren't going to magically pack every new feature into this update. I'm sure they will work on more stuff after this in the brick optimization area and more brick related updates to make them more helpful for making terrain. There is always room for more features, and if the removal of interiors and terrain helps as much as they say it will, I can't wait to see more updates.

Since bedroom is being gotten rid of, will the saves be moved to slate? Because some of them are pretty good.