Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425221 times)

Would it be possible to make the bedroom/kitchen into one, giant static shape?
Yes, but you can't build on static shapes unfortunately.
Yes, things like giant forests can still be made, and unique ideas will crop up from this.
As foliage emitters won't work anymore, forests could still be made by making collection of trees in one shape.
I'll make a proof of concept v21 map tomorrow.

What would happen if we were to load interior or terrain in the new version? Would it block it? Or would it just look like the last two pictures of terrain and interior you showed us?

Well we need to make it so we can.

What would happen if we were to load interior or terrain in the new version? Would it block it? Or would it just look like the last two pictures of terrain and interior you showed us?
Support is completely gone. You probably couldn't even load them.

Well we need to make it so we can.
Wouldn't it then make it an interior?

When you say there will still be a tutorial, what do you mean? Do you mean you'll keep it with interiors and such? And overall, you're saying the game won't let you use interiors or terrains? Loading maps with them will end up blank or some awkwardness? You seem to be saying they'd all still work, but will no longer be included by default since they won't work with new lighting.

Don't grasp at straws. Interiors will not load or render. If you try it will just give you a non-fatal error message.--kompressor

will map water still exist?
it would be nice to be able to still have maps like slate desert except the collision is replaced with a large brick beneath the water

It looks like the last two pictures in our current version.
It just wouldn't work if you tried to load it. The engine will no longer recognize it at all. The classes are likely being removed.

Like I said in an earlier post, it would be like trying to load a .exe in MS Paint.

To everyone:
Stop asking to have the option to choose between one and another. Stop thinking that we're removing these things for just shadows.
They're being completely removed, and not just for the shadows. They're a huge problem to Badspot and Kompressor when trying to add many new features. Having both will just make a bigger mess than it would to just never remove them. Just let go.

Wouldn't it then make it an interior?
No.

With the new method of creating the ground, will we be able to change the texture of the ground plane instead of using waterblocks?

I hope it will be like adjustable plate, but with even more options.

Shapemask.

With the new method of creating the ground, will we be able to change the texture of the ground plane instead of using waterblocks?
yah thats a good idea

That would be so much quicker and more efficient for making them.

For a day or two, I thought this update would be pretty nice, but a bummer to find out all terrain maps would be removed. This remained my exact thoughts, and the exact thoughts of everybody. Then I looked back at the first screenshot. Look how beautiful it is. Look at all of the details, and see how complicated, and nicely done this is. I think I'm willing to give up terrains/interiors for it. I think it's time to man up, and deal with it. If we get a horrible disease from being nostalgic, then one day they might freshen up the maps, and toss them back in.

Warning - while you were typing 10 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

What the- this topic is getting busy again, 'aint it?

How much FPS would you expect would be lost from using the shaders (if any at all)?

I don't see a change. I have a good graphics card. They can be turned off if they run too slow for you. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:49:55 PM by kompressor »