Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 430062 times)

Seriously it could just be an "on shadow casted" brick event. Something to justify this to people who don't care about graphics over gameplay.

The inclusion of brick shadows instantly creates a gameplay feature for DM and such (assuming the shadows cast onto playertypes): Hiding in shadows.  

the sign on the second picture isn't aligned with the baseplate

You're right!

EDIT: Nope, zoom in on the bottom of it. There's an trans brick that is barely visible.

im on wallet's side until the devs give us another "update" on their opinions (topic meant for feedback, lets see what they think). unless there's a new feature
What have maps provided that builds can't?

The Afghanistan build is proof that you don't need terrain or interiors for a Deathmatch.
maps have provided things that builds didn't. find me a build you can place a town at the spawn, go out 10000 bricks, land in a mountain, and construct "countries" and trade with eachother through planes and scripts.
Most of the servers on the list are really, really bad. Good riddance.
a majority of players find them really really fun. you don't represent the majority, the people playing daily do.

player made terrain won't work well (see: ghosting times and brick count of badspot's party) unless floating bricks are allowed

This is the part where everyone goes detective and the thread turns into "this is fake".

The inclusion of brick shadows instantly creates a gameplay feature for DM and such (assuming the shadows cast onto playertypes): Hiding in shadows.  
you can cheat maps light using tree(); and editing the sun. you can turn off shaders too.

Blockland really needs rendering zones, zones that are ignored when rendering because they are either too far away or have no reason to render. TF2 has this. Many of its payload maps are circular, and only a piece of the circle is rendered.

Entire map                   Rendered, near the camera
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
XXX    XXX
XXX    XXX
XXX    XXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
...    RRR
...    RRR
...    RRR

It would be applied differently in Blockland. For example, imagine viewing the whole Afghan DM build, but certain pieces inside buildings aren't rendered.

you can cheat maps light using tree(); and editing the sun. you can turn off shaders too.
Way ahead of you :cookieMonster:

Wallet does have a good point. I've never really preferred graphics over gameplay.

My main concern is about vehicle stuff. I have a lot of fun with vehicles on terrain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syu51HYwkT0

I'm getting some mixed feelings about this. I just recently started getting into mapping, and was considering making an off-road race track. Vehicle physics on map terrain has always been quite fun. Vehicles on bricks gets quite limited. I'm hoping an answer to that loss is somewhere in the future.

If I had to choose, though, I would go with the shaders. It will encourage more building, and make said builds prettier without dodgy video editing. I'm hoping that eventually the sun and sky can be changed safely for things like sundials.

But what does this mean for lights? How will they work with the shadows? And will it ever be possible to have more of them show up at once?
Will the vector lighting on bricks be pertinent, and could "spammy" building potentially slow things down relatively less if the method of lighting is changed?

am i the only one that thinks this is a hoax?
the images with the shadows and things are a lot bigger, maybe from a modeling program
but, if it isn't, then woah cool, building everything would be fun
I thought this to at first.
then i realized the admins arent that mean

I disagree with any decision that sacrifices gameplay for graphics.

Ever.

Period.

I'm also in agreement here. The interiors and terrain mean a lot to me. I'd rather that they're left in and just don't interact with shadows.

I thought this to at first.
then i realized the admins arent that mean
yes they are

I'm concerned about vehicles too. I like driving them instead of bouncing up and down on bricks or getting stuck in one.

the sign on the second picture isn't aligned with the baseplate
Wrong. If you look closely you can see there is a transparent round brick at the bottom of the sign where it connects to the baseplate.

SOMEONE MAKE TERRAIN BRICKS OR SOMETHING

I'M GOING TO MISS BUMPY ROADS

This topic brightened my day. Shaders and shadows look lovey. I would love to see this ingame as much as the next guy, and I for one can say good riddance to the interiors and terrain.