Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 428167 times)

It'd be terrain if there was a terrain editor for terrains made out of bricks, with brushes and such. It'd automatically do the math to lower/raise areas and place bricks accordingly. The terrain would repeat itself, like the Slopes currently. This can probably be scripted if someone had way too much time on their hands.

Start posting saves capped out at 256k and I will look into bumping the limit up.

here we go!  :> 

The well known Quality Town project of Blockbase and ATF.
You can even find Pics of it on blockland.us

Link to save: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46619450/Town3.bls
You will need several custom bricks to load it all, right now i dunno which ones.

And while you look at raising the limit, you may be interested into my topic about fixing the memory limit of blockland:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=176851.msg4577233
(you never replied to my PM when i linked you to it, so PLEASE read it )=

here we go!  :> 

(you never replied to my PM when i linked you to it, so PLEASE read it )=

Good build. Does it hit the 256000 brick count?

I did read that post a long time ago, good stuff.

You will release an updated Mission Editor that doesn't contain old stuff like terrains to prevent errors?

And... I'm again worried about brick maps coming out needing sets of bricks to even load. Really hope we get a wider default range of bricks to prevent large amounts of brick pack downloading just to use maps.

The mission editor will still work. We might include new bricks. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:32:00 PM by kompressor »

Interiors aren't really the thing I have a problem with, they are pretty ugly. While I never host a DM on a map like the Bedroom, I use terrain maps a lot.

The mission editor & terrain system allows for fast and relatively good looking, especially when mappers use particles, like grass and waterfalls. Plus, it's very difficult to create concave ramp terrain.

So with removing terrain and interiors, you would be able to increase limits and qualities?

Sweet. I don't know if this question is off-topic or not, but when you remove terrain and interiors, are you going to release more default slate maps, or are you going to let users create more maps?

Does it hit the 256000 brick count?

It sure does, many houses had to be removed to make new ones because of the brick limit

Good build. Does it hit the 256000 brick count?

It hit the limit several times, because of that we added a rating system and deleted the houses with the lowest rating to have space for more bricks to finish the better ones

So with removing terrain and interiors, you would be able to increase limits and qualities?

Sweet. I don't know if this question is off-topic or not, but when you remove terrain and interiors, are you going to release more default slate maps, or are you going to let users create more maps?
I would honestly think that Adjustable plate ruins almost all slate maps.

It sure does, many houses had to be removed to make new ones because of the brick limit

Cool. Well, we'll look into it. We probably won't bump it for only one map. But if there are more people maxing out it makes sense.

Are the pictures in OP very close to the potential end product? Because I can see a few imperfections here and there, like the sign's shadow in the 2nd picture not touching the sign itself, as if the sign were floating. lol

Are the pictures in OP very close to the potential end product? Because I can see a few imperfections here and there, like the sign's shadow in the 2nd picture not touching the sign itself, as if the sign were floating. lol

The sign IS floating.

To compensate for terrains we could have 1 or 2 bricks called "Terrain" bricks - they would be the brick equivalent of meta-balls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaballs . these bricks would change form (changing datablock if need be) to match up in shape with the bricks adjacent to it. this way you could have a smooth appearance overall and no sharp edges.

If all our maps must be made of bricks, chances are we'll be hitting the brick limit before we get close to finishing the base map.

256,000 bricks is a lot. I'm sure you can build _something_ interesting within that constraint. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:38:24 PM by kompressor »

The sign IS floating.
Oh yeah... wow, it's been a lot longer since I last saw that save then I thought XD