5 (2%)
Agnostic  
32 (12.6%)
Jewish
3 (1.2%)
Other
26 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Religious Views?  (Read 20053 times)

Okay.  I would like to submit that the reason you do not believe in God is because you can not see, hear, smell, taste, feel or sense him or any of his effects, and, if you could see, hear, smell, taste, feel or sense him (which you can't) you would probably believe in him, because the alternative is irrational.  Is this correct?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:41:03 PM by Firecycle »

That and the fact it's a stupid idea to begin with (imo)

That and the fact it's a stupid idea to begin with (imo)

Would you describe yourself as a materialist?

Would you describe yourself as a materialist?
Mostly I suppose.

Mostly I suppose.

You must realize that the Laws of Logic are completely immaterial.  You can not be a materialist and believe in logic because you can not see, hear, smell, taste, feel or sense them.

I'm not a Christian, but I like to believe that God exists.

You must realize that the Laws of Logic are completely immaterial.  You can not be a materialist and believe in logic because you can not see, hear, smell, taste, feel or sense them.
This is getting stupid.

The laws themselves are just thoughts caused by the brain so in theory a material is causing and creating those things

ownd

You must realize that the Laws of Logic are completely immaterial.  You can not be a materialist and believe in logic because you can not see, hear, smell, taste, feel or sense them.

Don't you know what a "law" is?

We can observe laws

The laws themselves are just thoughts caused by the brain so in theory a material is causing and creating those things

ownd

But then the laws of logic are not universal; they would not extend beyond the brain. In other words, we couldn’t argue that contradictions cannot occur on Mars, since no one’s brain is on Mars. In fact, if the laws of logic are just electro-chemical connections in the brain, then they would differ somewhat from person to person because everyone has different connections in their brain.

No, because we can see mars and think about mars, and we sent robots up to mars

No, because we can see mars and think about mars, and we sent robots up to mars

But if the Laws of Logic are just thoughts then how could they be laws?

But if the Laws of Logic are just thoughts then how could they be laws?
Because society makes them laws.

Because society makes them laws.

Then the Laws of Logic would be inconsistent throughout different cultures.