Author Topic: RTB Dedicated Hosting Service - Service Closing  (Read 256869 times)

Use SSD's. They're twice as fast and use half as much energy.
Blockland doesn't use disk much, it's all about memory.

Getting an SSD will decrease startup times and decrease the time it takes to execute files.

The cost increase for clients plus the decrease in disk space they'd get for really a few seconds less in boot speed just makes no sense at all. It's a bad idea.

it sounds like a worthless upgrade to upgrade to an ssd

If this was minecraft then an SSD would help, for Blocklad I think mostly just the processor clock speed and memory as people have stated. Kalph told me that at his New Years party his CPU core was only used at around 70% or so and it was only 2.4ghz.

Getting an SSD will decrease startup times and decrease the time it takes to execute files.
I'm sorry, but are you like, stupid? They are not going to spend hundreds of dollars just because someone wants a few second faster start up.

I'm sorry, but are you like, stupid? They are not going to spend hundreds of dollars just because someone wants a few second faster start up.
Not just "someone" but everyone. It will pay off in the short run. You can get a 128 GB SSD for as much as $120, seeing as a single Blockland installation uses less than 300 MB of space 128 GB will be more than enough. It's may be a few seconds but you'll be more than satisfied.

If this was minecraft then an SSD would help, for Blocklad I think mostly just the processor clock speed and memory as people have stated. Kalph told me that at his New Years party his CPU core was only used at around 70% or so and it was only 2.4ghz.
75% of that one core, which is about 9.5% for a CPU with 8 cores. The most disk/CPU-intensive part is when the server is starting, so it doesn't make much sense to get an SSD.

What goes through your head that you have to insult someone when he's wrong or only slightly incorrect?

Not just "someone" but everyone. It will pay off in the short run. You can get a 128 GB SSD for as much as $120, seeing as a single Blockland installation uses less than 300 MB of space 128 GB will be more than enough. It's may be a few seconds but you'll be more than satisfied.
It's not a one-time payment.

Yeah you clearly have no idea how dedicated server rental works, an SSD would probably cost ~$30 a month.

an SSD would probably cost ~$30 a month.
And $30 a month is a lot?

And $30 a month is a lot?
If you had any insight into the finances, which you don't, and understood the benefits an SSD gives, which you also don't, you'd understand why buying an SSD is a bad idea.

If you had any insight into the finances, which you don't, and understood the benefits an SSD gives, which you also don't, you'd understand why buying an SSD is a bad idea.
Faster read times
Faster write times
Less energy
Lasts as long as an HHD
No mechanical failures
It costs about 10* as much but how much does satisfaction cost?

I have a feeling the change in boot time for the server won't matter because time will be wasted because of time spent trying to get on the server at the right time.

Professionals servers and datacenters are usually protected against mechanical failures you know.