Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310018 times)

30 fps worse, 7850 is much, much better than the 7750
Aren't we able to switch out the video card whenever we want, though? We can always buy the computer first, cheaper, and then in the future when we gain enough money we can switch it with a 7850.

All I really want it to do is play games like Blockland and Half Life 2 on max settings, also at least play games like the total war games on Medium settings at a decent FPS.

well, you'd have to worry about the power supply in the computer you selected
anything more powerful than that is going to require a power supply replacement from the stock 350w that one has

overall you might as well get the one i threw out, better upgradeability and more value

im looking for a good cpu

i currently have a (or equivilant to a) dualcore, and its really weighing me down when i play games. i want to know if you guys could see if you could spy a good cpu, for about $200 cheese.

i know nothing about parts, so if you could give me some advice also that would be splendid

im looking for a good cpu

i currently have a (or equivilant to a) dualcore, and its really weighing me down when i play games. i want to know if you guys could see if you could spy a good cpu, for about $200 cheese.

i know nothing about parts, so if you could give me some advice also that would be splendid

This is nowhere near enough information to recommend any sort of processor. There are different sockets, makers, etc. I think the easiest way to determine this would be going to your system info and giving us the current processor name.

Also, if you would be willing to upgrade your motherboard or not, and if you only have $200 total to spend

This is nowhere near enough information to recommend any sort of processor. There are different sockets, makers, etc. I think the easiest way to determine this would be going to your system info and giving us the current processor name.
intel core 2 quad core cpu q6600

Also, if you would be willing to upgrade your motherboard or not, and if you only have $200 total to spend
i can spend some extra dough to upgrade that, too

intel core 2 quad core cpu q6600

Thats a old socket you need a new mobo I think.

i can spend some extra dough to upgrade that, too

This. To really get anything worthwhile you'll need an upgrade.

a new motherboard?

ok. so to upgrade that, will it be another hundred or something?

a new motherboard?

ok. so to upgrade that, will it be another hundred or something?
If your willing to go cheap you can always buy a $50 mini-atx but you'll get less ram/video card slots if you do.

If your willing to go cheap you can always buy a $50 mini-atx but you'll get less ram/video card slots if you do.
There's still 4 RAM slots in most Micro-ATX motherboards...but there's only one video card slot, and 1 or 2 peripheral slots.

I thought atx motherboards came with like 8 ram slots for the 64gb egoistical pigs.

Given the age of the processor, chances are you've got DDR2 RAM. You'll need to upgrade that as well if you're upgrading the mainboard and processor.

Given the age of the processor, chances are you've got DDR2 RAM. You'll need to upgrade that as well if you're upgrading the mainboard and processor.

Pretty much. Most times a motherboard switch, unless recent requires a whole new system, unless you get something like I got a while ago, a cheap ITX AMD board with 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 slots.

Pretty much. Most times a motherboard switch, unless recent requires a whole new system, unless you get something like I got a while ago, a cheap ITX AMD board with 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 slots.
Either way, it only accepts what the memory controller (which is on the processor, mind you) supports. Unless you're buying a 1st-gen Phenom, which isn't even an upgrade, you're forced to DDR3.