Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1319051 times)

using a budget ;_;
Ah. Sorry, lol.

Uh, I'd recommend a microatx board, usually cheaper. Don't think you need an aftermarket cpu cooler if you're on a budget, and I'm pretty sure 8gigs of RAM is overkill for the cpu and gpu you have. Any money saved could probably go into a better cpu and gpu, though I'd get some more opinions on it on this thread and around the internet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:56:30 PM by Oasis »

rate my build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9c8KNG
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JNCLbv
There

everything you had minus a case for just $526. Based on the price of the build you posted, that leaves you around $50 to pick a case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JNCLbv
There

everything you had minus a case for just $526. Based on the price of the build you posted, that leaves you around $50 to pick a case.
Holy stuff, that's pretty nice lol.

i realize its a budget build. but i would highly recommend you try and get a quad core. it dosnt matter if the mhz is a little lower by comparison.
even 4 cores is outdated.. but its still a low end standard now.

So don't know if you guys remember, but I got a new harddrive and shoved it in my old build because I was worried about my old drive. Now that I've got this new comp almost completed, I want to put the old drive back in the old computer and move this one to the new one, obviously.

The question is, should I re-clone my stuff onto the old one from the new one, then wipe the new one and do clean installs of everything, or should I simply just keep trucking with my cloned hard drive? Am I going to see any real benefits to wiping and cleanly installing Win 8.1 and all my stuff?

Edit: I should add that I'm going from all AMD components to Intel/nvidia components, so maybe just for the sake of not having AMD stuff riddled throughout my system I should just do a clean install. Plus the transition from Win7 to 8.1 is going to be messy I'd assume, probably messier than the eventual transition to Win10...

Really I could just reorganize all my stuff and have less clutter from programs I deleted years ago. New question, am I going to have any issues with wiping a disk clean and reinstalling basic stuff? I figure I'll want to do the Windows install in the old computer since I'll be downloading it from my university's free software selection.

Don't mind my rambling.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:22:48 AM by Oasis »

On the topic of hard drives, while Oasis has that started.  I am thinking about getting another hard drive to add to my desktop.

Currently I have a 128gb SSD, and a 2tb Seagate Barracuda drive, and I am running between the two at 1.7 TB's used.  I have looked into getting a 2-4 TB drive to add into the setup but I'm also thinking I should upgrade my laptop from a 5400 RPM HDD to an SSD.

Another option I have is to do a smaller 1-2 TB HDD for my desktop and an SSD for my laptop.

What do you guys think would be the best option to go, mainly I store RAW .NEF files on my desktop for my photography and the occasional .mp4 or so on from my phone and as well selective backups from my assortment of machines.

i just bought a new monitor

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/monitors/lg-22M45D-B

i really like it, its my first fullhd 22'' monitor

Look what I got today! >:D

8 GB of RAM (not the RAM you see in the picture, that's the old one in the package). A new MSI ATX LGA 1150 motherboard and some thermal paste. Sometime in the next couple days gonna check that it's not DOA and then start saving for an i5, hopefully.

i realize its a budget build. but i would highly recommend you try and get a quad core. it dosnt matter if the mhz is a little lower by comparison.
even 4 cores is outdated.. but its still a low end standard now.
i still use a double-core cpu  :cookieMonster: (amd athlon 64 x2 5000+)

Alright, what's the best method to wipe a hard drive for future use?

Also, promised pic of build:

Can anyone guess what's missing that is being shipped on the 9th with one day shipping because I bitched at Amazon?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:43:24 PM by Oasis »

Yup, lol. Also my hard drive isn't in there yet, because:

Yay I guessed right

K gib prize pls ;)

Drop it in a different PC and reformat it.

I don't think I'm going to get the S340. I've heard it may have compatibility issues with some water cooling radiators, and I may want to watercool at some point.

Currently my top pick is the Enthoo Pro, but the Corsair 450D is nice (but doesn't have a PSU cover and will look funny when I put in my ODD).