[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1286320 times)

So recently games have been running slow and when I do get 60fps, it looks like 40fps. Today I found out that my GPU has been running in x4 mode. I took it out, blew the pci-e socket, and cleaned the contacts on the GPU and now it's back in x16. Everything is silky smooth again. :]

i realized that i may have sounded a bit like an starfish earlier
steve compiled this whole list of parts for me (except for the fans)
prices are the base price from newegg, not counting shipping or sales

Computer Part List
================================================================================================================================
ITEM TYPE        - ITEM NAME                                - PRICE   - ITEM LINK
================================================================================================================================
Processer        - AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor      - $149.99 - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285
Motherboard      - MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard      - $99.89  - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790
Memory           - G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory   - $84.99  - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
Storage          - Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5" Hard Drive - $69.99  - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
Graphics Card    - MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR       - $224.99 - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127745
Case             - Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case    - $139.99 - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010
Power Supply     - EVGA 650W Modular Power Supply           - $89.99  - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438026
Optical Drive    - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer   - $19.99  - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)     - $99.99  - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416776
Monitor          - Gateway KX2153 Abd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor    - $139.99 - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113040
Extra Fans       - Cooler Master 120mm Fans (Value 4-Pack)  - $29.99  - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

I'm set on this one, for sure.

So recently games have been running slow and when I do get 60fps, it looks like 40fps. Today I found out that my GPU has been running in x4 mode. I took it out, blew the pci-e socket, and cleaned the contacts on the GPU and now it's back in x16. Everything is silky smooth again. :]

How did you find that out?

Hmm, odd. I can see why this would theoretically affect performance, but Linus did a test a couple years ago, running the highest performance GPU's he had in various single GPU and multi GPU situations and even running in 4x with Crossfire it didn't affect the performance anything noticeable.
Unless your contacts were really dirty and it was struggling to call it 4x haha

Just gonna repost this since not many saw it I think.

Update!

Since I last started out with my base design on the one site I have modified it to THIS final build I have in mind.

Mainly looking for this to be an excellent gaming build for modern games. (Battlefield, Skyrim, DayZ, etc.)

• Color scheme I am going with is Black / Red and a little bit of Gold in there it seems.
  • As for the monitor I already have an HDTV I plan to use and I have speakers / headphones.
  • The OS will be Windows 8.1 that I plan on buying through my university.

Comments and input from you guys is always usually helpful so please have at it!

Another list right here for convenience.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • MOBO: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • RAM: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  • SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card
  • CASE: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case
  • PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • ODD: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
  • KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse

And I am still planning on keeping this within my ~$700 budget since I'll be getting as many cyber Monday deals as possible.

EDIT: Should I go ahead and try to throw the Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card in my build instead of the one I currently have? Will the rest of my build be able to handle that and will there be a significant difference? (Since VRAM seems to be getting more important with running today's games.)

Just gonna repost this since not many saw it I think.
-snip-
I personally would do it, if you have no issues with any extra spending.
I can't see the rest of your system having any bottleneck, the i5 should still have heaps of room. And your PSU will be fine either way.

I personally would do it, if you have no issues with any extra spending.
I can't see the rest of your system having any bottleneck, the i5 should still have heaps of room. And your PSU will be fine either way.
The extra spending is what I have been extra working for ha. Definitely more into a 4GB video card than the 2GB one. That is the main thing I was looking at. Just was debating between GTX 770 and GTX 970 based on price / performance and I think I will save and install the 970.

The extra spending is what I have been extra working for ha. Definitely more into a 4GB video card than the 2GB one. That is the main thing I was looking at. Just was debating between GTX 770 and GTX 970 based on price / performance and I think I will save and install the 970.

Get the 970. Performance wise its pretty much equal to a 780 and is cheaper than a 780

Hmm, odd. I can see why this would theoretically affect performance, but Linus did a test a couple years ago, running the highest performance GPU's he had in various single GPU and multi GPU situations and even running in 4x with Crossfire it didn't affect the performance anything noticeable.
Unless your contacts were really dirty and it was struggling to call it 4x haha

It's PCI 2.0. Could be placebo effect, though I'm pretty sure I'm getting better framerates.
Also yay you're back.

Have I mentioned I have really slow startup and shutdown times (usually takes around +5 minutes to start up/shut down)? I think it has to do with the HDD, but I am unsure.

Already ran an antivirus scan, found nothing at all. Help, please?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:31:58 PM by AtlasBlue »

Isn't 535MHz really slow for DDR3?

Isn't 535MHz really slow for DDR3?
Since he's running dual channel, it's actually 1066.

Since he's running dual channel, it's actually 1066.
Alright, got it.

(usually takes around +5 minutes to start up/shut down)?

Sounds pretty normal to me. Back when I was running my OS off a HDD it took about that long (sometimes longer) after I had used up 75% of my boot drive and had a couple of programs on startup.