[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1309789 times)

I'd go for anything WD Blue or Black, or Seagate Barracuda / Firecuda

Woot I'm borrowing a friend's GTX 560 and I'm getting a 8800 GTX here in a few days, ye olde gpu's to hold me over until I can buy my own

I'd go for anything WD Blue or Black, or Seagate Barracuda / Firecuda

Firecuda only goes up to 2TB tho
And is black really worth 2x the price over blue?

Firecuda only goes up to 2TB tho
And is black really worth 2x the price over blue?
I'm not too familiar with the differences between blue and black, aside from knowing blue is mainstream

I'd suggest blue if you want to save budget

Shopping for HDDs for the first time in many years,  my 1TB is nearly full so I'm looking for a 4TB.
Wondering if anyone has recommendations.

WD has their blue and black lines, black is advertised as being more intended for gaming uses whereas blue is general use, but i don't know if it's really worth almost twice the price (Amazon has 4TB blues for $99 and blacks for $191) ?

I have Seagates currently but I'm not familiar with their lines
You can have a 4TB Hitachi drive for $100: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RTDN6E/?tag=pcpapi-20
Hitachi is owned by WD, so it's likely they either helped engineer it or maybe it's a rebranded WD drive. Either way it's a better deal than the other drives in the price class since it's a 7200 rpm drive rather than 5400 or 5900 which means it's faster.

hitachi/hgst drives are also more reliable than others according to backblaze

Can't wait until Tuesday to get 50 bucks for my PC and buy this PSU, it looks loving amazing

It's a Rosewill Glacier 500M

Here's a Toshiba X300 that's their "WD black" on sale for the moment at the WD blue price point of $115 (og. price $299 dubiously)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149627&cm_re=toshiba_hdd-_-22-149-627-_-Product

has 128mb cache and 7200rpm like the cheaper WD black

Honestly tho, the disks aren't going to be different for home desktop use no matter what you choose to go with

Here's a Toshiba X300 that's their "WD black" on sale for the moment at the WD blue price point of $115 (og. price $299 dubiously)

it's now $120 og. price marked at $150
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:59:30 AM by Anybody »

So I bought a used R9 290 last sunday, and I finally got it today.

Here's a picture of it next to my old GTX 760, can you guess which is which?

So this is my planned PC https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MoltenKitten/saved/47fLD3

I'm getting mixed responses from some people saying the PSU isn't enough and others saying it's fine so I don't loving know

it'll be fine, that cpu doesn't use a lot of power

So this is my planned PC https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MoltenKitten/saved/47fLD3

I'm getting mixed responses from some people saying the PSU isn't enough and others saying it's fine so I don't loving know
Switch the 1200 to a 2200G, they're the same price but the 2200G is way better. I think people are saying the PSU isn't enough because you have a 970, which is more power hungry than current gen cards. 520W will be on the edge but it should work, though I suggest at least something closer to 600W. Also, I would suggest DDR4 RAM higher than 2400 as Ryzen does better the faster your RAM speeds are, but it may be too pricey for your budget. Focus on a slightly better PSU first and switch to the Ryzen 2200G.

the same priced newer ryzen is a good idea

970 only has higher idle wattage than 10 series cards and 520 watts will works just fine

ram is the last thing to worry about, with how pricey it is compared to the minuscule bump in performance that would bring

well for four more dollars he can get a huge upgrade.

in general gaming use you wouldn't notice any actual difference between the two anyway, but for a few bucks why not, maybe it'll come handy with some with video editing or something

much more noticeable would be increasing the amount of ram, but that would be a lot more expensive