Author Topic: Metropolis RPG Beta Bug Report Thread  (Read 13462 times)

Thoughts on security cameras and possibly being super badass heist teams:

- Security cameras placed on lots require an active Security Console on that lot
- Someone with a Hacking trait can click on a security console and as long as they don't move from where they were when they clicked, it won't report any crimes for up to ten seconds (with a 20 second cooldown)
- Lots can only have one security console
- People with the hacking trait should be able to rob ATMs for cash too, but this is obviously illegal (but if you disable the security console first...)
- I dunno if they already do (they should) but police officers should count as cameras for crime and tracking

- Every minute or 30 seconds, all wanted criminals should broadcast a check to all cameras within the max range (or perhaps all cameras should search for players within range - depending on the number of players/cameras and positions, either approach is potentially quite slow) and check line of sight. If a camera can see them, it should broadcast a waypoint to all policemen as to their positions.
- Perhaps allow someone with the hacking trait to view this information themselves from the demerit terminal or whatever

On vehicles:
Vehicles should be purchased from a dealership, which spawns the vehicle manually via code instead of via a spawn brick. To keep your vehicle safe you need a garage brick, which you park the vehicle on; when you disconnect, it despawns your vehicle if it's on a garage brick with no associated vehicle, and respawns it on that garage brick when you reconnect, so your vehicle is safe as long as you're offline. You could probably make it so only one vehicle can be active per player at any given time, or so a player can only own one vehicle.
If you disconnect when the vehicle isn't on a garage brick, it should still be accessible. And destroyable. And if it's destroyed, it doesn't respawn, so keep your car safe.
Non-explosive damage should do significantly less damage to vehicles, though. So they should be fairly hard to actually destroy.
If your vehicle is stuck and needs to be recovered, you should be able to recover it via a terminal at the dealership or something like that, for a nominal fee (like 5% of its value or $100, whichever is higher) which will return it to that dealership in its current condition.

Also, you should totally ask Hata about the climbing playertype he was working on a while ago. That'd be totally badass and a way better thing than the grapple rope (because it's about grabbing ledges and stuff rather than swinging around, and it also is significantly less handicapped with latency, plus holy stuff it's so coooool)

- Can spawn items with "spawnItem" event for free
- Can spawn vehicles for free
- /help items doesn't show item prices
- Half of the city rp events can't be used because variableTrue/False is admin only
- Can't buy an axe from the labor terminal
- BuyResources doesn't work
- Can sell ammo to people but can't buy it from yourself
- Can't spawn items through the wrench GUI (used to work properly)
- Bow doesn't use up ammo, so has unlimited shots with just 1 bolt ammo
- Personal spawns don't work
- "ERROR: File "/shapes/sky/stars.dml" is not in one of the default directories" appearing in console a lot
- Shop Keeper events don't work on the actual baseplate of commercial lots
- Self defense doesn't work
- Attacking players doesn't give you demerits
- /local doesn't work
- Can rapid fire the baton

More things to be looked at:
  • Axe cuts faster than chainsaw.
  • Players bricks are not part of the minigame when they are offline.
  • Assault and Grand Theft Auto don't rack up dems.
  • Fire needs to be fixed and enabled.

As far as other suggestions:
Personally, I don't like the Car dealership suggestion.(it makes it harder for me to do crime :P ) However, it is a good idea. If it does get added, there needs to be more than one dealership. As for recovering vehicles, I'm sure a tow truck service to your garage will work fine.

This one is a long shot. What would really be nice is if Trenton and Wellsk were refurbished and we used that map. Most of the players on the server have been original players, and I'm sure most would welcome that map back. Brick count shouldn't be an issue because computers haven't gotten worse since 2009. Keep in mind, refurbishing would include the further conserving of bricks. (If possible) In the long run it would be way less work. I also mention the old map, as it had a full underground and waterless sewer/subway system, which was one of the huge things that made the old map good. (actually, I wouldn't mind the whole old mod running on the server with the old map for right now while you work on the new one, but I figure that suggestion is a bit out of reach in the realm of possibilities.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:15:58 PM by stargatefan »

More things to be looked at:
  • Axe cuts faster than chainsaw.
  • Players bricks are not part of the minigame when they are offline.
  • Assault and Grand Theft Auto don't rack up dems.
  • Fire needs to be fixed and enabled.

As far as other suggestions:
Personally, I don't like the Car dealership suggestion.(it makes it harder for me to do crime :P ) However, it is a good idea. If it does get added, there needs to be more than one dealership. As for recovering vehicles, I'm sure a tow truck service to your garage will work fine.

This one is a long shot. What would really be nice is if Trenton and Wellsk were refurbished and we used that map. Most of the players on the server have been original players, and I'm sure most would welcome that map back. Brick count shouldn't be an issue because computers haven't gotten worse since 2009. Keep in mind, refurbishing would include the further conserving of bricks. (If possible) In the long run it would be way less work. I also mention the old map, as it had a full underground and waterless sewer/subway system, which was one of the huge things that made the old map good. (actually, I wouldn't mind the whole old mod running on the server with the old map for right now while you work on the new one, but I figure that suggestion is a bit out of reach in the realm of possibilities.)
Axe and chainsaw speeds should be swapped and chainsaw be the buyable one, yes
Bricks being part of the minigame can be kludged via
Code: [Select]
package forgetMinigames {
    function minigameCstar fishe(%a, %b) {
        return 1; // ALWAYS MINIGAME, ALL THE TIME
    }
    function minigameCanDamage(%a, %b) {
        return 1;
    }
};
activatePackage(forgetMinigames);

Alternately, make getMinigameFromObject(%obj) always return the same minigame. Same effect, really. Goes without saying that you shouldn't use this code in add-ons that aren't designed to be the only thing on the server, and that it's just generally not a very good practice, but it gets the job done.
You could also make minigameCanDamage return false for bricks unless they're transparent or it's explosive damage. People sniping out bricks to get into houses is annoying as hell.

Oh, and for polish reasons, make it use the actual Blockland gamemode system so the server shows up as running Metropolis, rather than Custom?

The point of the car dealership is to make getting a vehicle actually part of the gamemode rather than just buying a brick and having every vehicle available to you. Even if it's not designed for roleplaying it's nice to have everything consistent and a little immersive. It wouldn't even make it harder to be a criminal - people will probably leave them laying around all the time anyway.
Of course there'd need to be more than one dealership. In fact I'd like it if each dealership sold different vehicles - one out in the country/industrial area might sell Jeeps but the inner-city one would sell more urban vehicles.
I don't think that planes should be available, though. Boats maybe, if other islands get added, but not planes.

And on Trenton/Wellsk, I may not like the current map all that much (early days, but mostly I just hate how tiny the roads are) but I also don't think we should be trying to pull out the whole old map just because nostalgia.

Thanks for the bug reports. The previous version of the mod was not designed for the current version of blockland, so a lot of things were broken to start with. I decided to change the mod from how it was before because it was a huge mess of too many jobs. However that doesn't mean that jobs will suck in this version compared to older ones, they just aren't done yet.

I like M's ideas about security cams and vehicles, especially vehicles. Like he said, doing a search for security cams isn't the fastest thing, so having it occur for multiple felons for tracking purposes could lead to issues. Overall, I will come back to these suggestions after I finish the drug system. I have posted the list of bugs you have reported on the first post here.

ok, swat725 and i will set up the rules for the server soon, this is beta, and an official topic will be done when all will be good!

Yes, the mod is making progress, we will be done beta mode pretty soon. I might want to reset all the client data now that I think I fixed the saving issues. Also, I found the issue that was restricting events to admins.

I heard someone on the server report that lumber when dropped had a $ sign next to it. Also, please keep vehicles on the server.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:59:26 PM by stargatefan »

Pheonix here,

Mod is a bit unplayable at the moment. Account got reset (wasn't much, like $60 and 200 lumber) and I'm unable to labor. It states "You are too weak to continue working". I had full Health but Self Deleted to make sure it wasn't a first spawn issue. The problem persisted, so I'm currently unable to gain more lumber to work on my house or get cash for a different job. Unless there's a new thing added that isn't showing up in the GUI (stamina or hunger?) it seems that there's a bug somewhere.

Also, a couple suggestions. First, I would really appreciate more general use brick packs. Stuff like 64, 63, 62, 32, 31, 30 length variants, the missing lengths in the 1-16 length areas, and maybe some more heights to use. Since there is a brick limit on lots and it costs lumber to build, I'd like to use as few bricks as possible. Then about the mod itself, I think that Doctors need a bit of job stability. There's not much incentive to seek out a Doctor when wounded; you'll get pretty much the same effect from suiciding and respawning. I propose that when people die and respawn, they come back at less than full hp. Maybe 80 hp or so, enough to give Doctors a bit to work with, but not so much that a lack of Doctors empowers the criminals.

Pheonix here,

Mod is a bit unplayable at the moment. Account got reset (wasn't much, like $60 and 200 lumber) and I'm unable to labor. It states "You are too weak to continue working".

I really hope it isn't a hunger system. I hated that from Ibans Server. Urg !

I'd like to propose the position of: mayor!

it's just something I'd like to see with features such as effecting the economy through managing sales tax and also a town treasury to give the police, firefighters, and other jobs temporary bonuses!

I know you said no before but it's a cool thing

Suggestion/bug list:
  • Kevlar vests should make you partially immune to labor damage.
  • Hospitals should have ambulances so criminals have getaway vehicles to evade cops.
  • Double Grand theft auto dems for stealing an ambulance, provided grand theft auto gets fixed.
  • Make all jobs free. Training should eliminate the need to pay for jobs.
  • Doctors should get payed based on how much they heal. They could pick up their paycheck at the hospital. Maybe a pay of $1-$2 per HP healed?
  • More brick packs to fill in the gaps
  • Log refunds if we destroy a brick on our lot
  • I dare you to slap a mineral block right smack dab in the middle of the road.
  • While woodcutting, it takes nearly half my profit from cutting to heal myself at the hospital.
  • Cops can only catch you with drugs if they have had the drug training themselves.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:32:54 PM by stargatefan »

The "ifVartoVar" output event doesn't work. It keeps removing whatever's entered in the last box. According to this thread its something to do with the number of parameters the event allows.

get these bricks, they're essential..
plant bricks:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=205139.0

round corner bricks:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=107295.0

extra arch bricks:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=205373.0

extra fence bricks:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=116125.0

updated wedge bricks (like 30+ new ones wtf)
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=107602.0

..do not get one random brick pack, that stuff's broken