BAM Development (see page 25)

Poll

name/logo

yes
117 (63.9%)
no (vote for this)
66 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 183

Author Topic: BAM Development (see page 25)  (Read 44125 times)

i agree, private add-ons should not be supported. if they want their add-on to be private so much, let them deal with the downloadability themselves (uploading it to dropbox).
The point of an addon hosting service is convenience. Is lugging around a dropbox link to all the computers you play blockland on convenient? No.

In addition to this, how will you make sure people you share the mod with have the latest version of it? Would you rather click an update button and have it instantly shared or manually send it to all the individual people who you share it with?

In addition to this, how will you make sure people you share the mod with have the latest version of it? Would you rather click an update button and have it instantly shared or manually send it to all the individual people who you share it with?
pm them like how you sent the download link to them. privately. scums.

Private Mods will not be included in this Ipquarx, it is counter productive to what this is trying to achieve.
(this is as far as I can tell)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:51:58 PM by 0xBRIANSMITH »

oh. I think you can see how I made that error.

Sorry tetronaut
Looking at the exchange in posts as a whole, no I can't see how.

if you're distributing private mods, I don't think convenience is a huge concern, considering that only a small amount of people would have them.

He's saying that you do not have the knowledge required for reviewing add-ons
I can't teach. I can code a lot more than I used to though.

also please use default or near default gui styles, as people will hate seeing out of place guis. or at least put in an option to toggle it.

I'll review addons if you want.

I'm sure you, I, Adam, and whoever the other dude was, would be more than willing to review add-ons seeing how we were waiting to review RTB add-ons, but Ephi sort of shut down RTB before giving us our positions.

I'm sure you, I, Adam, and whoever the other dude was, would be more than willing to review add-ons seeing how we were waiting to review RTB add-ons, but Ephi sort of shut down RTB before giving us our positions.

I was the other person that was supposed to be an RTB reviewer.

We'll see about things such as reviewers and moderators once the add-ons service is actually available.

My 2 cents: a lot of people have a bloodlust against private add-ons because they think they ruin the game or whatever. Sure. That doesn't mean that there is no use to having a restricted add-on, a primary use that I know many add-ons have used in the past is for beta testing. It's simply easier to upload an add-on to RTB as private and send your testers an ingame link to RTB-XXX than it is to have them download it from dropbox and have it unmanaged by RTB. Due to the volatile nature of beta add-ons, it's easier to allow people to update them using an ingame interface than mentally keep track of who has what version and tell people to update.

Also, a second note, I would say that private add-ons aren't counter-productive to the goals of BAM. Look at GitHub, their goals are open source code for all projects and the sharing of knowledge, yet even they support private repositories. It's an industry standard for version control systems (like BAM) to support private projects.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:06:51 PM by $trinick »

I have to agree with Trinick.

I can't open the client.

ctrl+tab is not working.

I can't open the client.

ctrl+tab is not working.

If you just hit "Download ZIP" on GitHub and dump it into your Add-Ons folder, it's not going to work. For one, GitHub will modify the filename. Secondly, the master branch is nothing you should be messing with at the current state.