Poll

name/logo

yes
117 (63.9%)
no (vote for this)
66 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 183

Author Topic: BAM Development (see page 25)  (Read 44052 times)

Someone on the other topic said it was working a little bit.

Just wanted to see what the GUI looked like.

My 2 cents: a lot of people have a bloodlust against private add-ons because they think they ruin the game or whatever. Sure. That doesn't mean that there is no use to having a restricted add-on, a primary use that I know many add-ons have used in the past is for beta testing. It's simply easier to upload an add-on to RTB as private and send your testers an ingame link to RTB-XXX than it is to have them download it from dropbox and have it unmanaged by RTB. Due to the volatile nature of beta add-ons, it's easier to allow people to update them using an ingame interface than mentally keep track of who has what version and tell people to update.
It has a value, but implementing it properly also opens up a new can of worms of issues (like whether private add-ons should be reviewed or not, and what kind of privacy should be expected for them). It might be done, but it shouldn't be a focus right now.

Also, a second note, I would say that private add-ons aren't counter-productive to the goals of BAM. Look at GitHub, their goals are open source code for all projects and the sharing of knowledge, yet even they support private repositories. It's an industry standard for version control systems (like BAM) to support private projects.
GitHub isn't really comparable, since their business model is to get you hooked on the free version for open-source projects so you'll convince your company to purchase the paid version. I don't think charging for service is something which is on the table right now (especially considering things like the Danish labour laws). :P

GitHub isn't really comparable, since their business model is to get you hooked on the free version for open-source projects so you'll convince your company to purchase the paid version.
Actually, no it's not.
Literally the only thing that paying gives you is private repositories.

Actually, no it's not.

Did you see what I said?

They give people personal accounts for free so they get used to it, then have them market it to their bosses for you for storing the company's (private) source code on there. There's a reason there aren't any ads. Same tactic that Adobe and Autodesk use too (though they target it towards students more specifically).

Actually, no it's not.

http://enterprise.github.com

GitHub isn't really comparable, since their business model is to get you hooked on the free version for open-source projects so you'll convince your company to purchase the paid version. I don't think charging for service is something which is on the table right now (especially considering things like the Danish labour laws). :P
Alright, then look at BitBucket or any other GIT host out there. My point is that the groups that are spearheading the open source movement still provide space for private projects. They are an important part of the ecosystem.

It has a value, but implementing it properly also opens up a new can of worms of issues (like whether private add-ons should be reviewed or not, and what kind of privacy should be expected for them). It might be done, but it shouldn't be a focus right now.
I don't really see the can of worms. Private add-ons should not be reviewed because they are private, that means only the people who they say get access should have access. Security is mostly unimportant because of the small sample size, if you hide the add-on from the add-on browser people who may be on the list but don't know what it is won't find it without a link, at which point it'd be the same scenario as Dropbox or any other program. And it's also not really hard to implement private add-ons, I'm sure it could be written into your system in under an hour. If you were particularly worried about security, you could even have it run through your auto-checker and if it returns any serious threats (like evals) you could pop up a message that says something along the lines of "Private add-ons that make use of Eval/whatever must be reviewed by staff for security reasons. Do you want to submit this add-on for review?" with a yes/no button that'll either send it to be reviewed or remove it from the system.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:32:19 AM by $trinick »

If you really want to implement some kind of private add-on system, allow people to see the page or whatever that shows the add-on, and allow them to comment on it too.

Lugnut : I really need some reliable way of contacting you that isn't something like PMs or email and isn't Steam, because you're never on it even when you're on the forums.

I can't wait! :D Will this take long?

If you really want to implement some kind of private add-on system, allow people to see the page or whatever that shows the add-on, and allow them to comment on it too.
This completely ruins the point of "PRIVATE."

This completely ruins the point of "PRIVATE."
They won't be able to download it.

They won't be able to download it.
Allowing people to access the pages for private addons but denying them access for downloading it is literally asking for a swarm of idiots to start begging the makers to give them access. It would not be a good thing.

Will you put an id lookup thing

Will you put an id lookup thing
I hope Badspot does, honestly. He has the power to do it.

Allowing people to access the pages for private addons but denying them access for downloading it is literally asking for a swarm of idiots to start begging the makers to give them access. It would not be a good thing.
That's the point.

Private should be private. Not "the download is private but that's it"