Space Engineers (Bug Fixing Period)

Author Topic: Space Engineers (Bug Fixing Period)  (Read 165089 times)

its not that its alpha it's that it's continued to stay horrible and keeps bottlenecking my CPU for no apparent reason

edit: woooow its bottlenecked so bad if i turn around any more than slowly i can see the game loading the asteroid behind me

its not that its alpha it's that it's continued to stay horrible and keeps bottlenecking my CPU for no apparent reason

edit: woooow its bottlenecked so bad if i turn around any more than slowly i can see the game loading the asteroid behind me
No that's a separate issue

okay wow they really butchered the optimization in this game

when i bought this game i could run it on max graphics with no problems at all and now i can't even run at 30 fps with 4 asteroids and minimum graphics

looking at the center of an asteroid reduces me to about 10-15 FPS and prevents me from even moving properly

i don't know how they've actually managed to make the game *worse* but they did

edit: looks like a CPU issue (and also like this game is singlethreaded why would they ever do that)
From what I understand, they did not make the engine used in this game. And it's no trivial thing to just make something that's singlethreaded into something that can run threads simultaneously. It makes sense that they would try to add all of the features they've planned before getting really deep into optimization.

I'd say for a game so heavily physics based with all the ramming and meteor showers hitting stuff and projectiles multithreading would be very much a primary concern.

i know its in alpha and i know i should expect stuff like this and im fine with it, its just amazing that they managed to destroy the performance so quickly that over the course of 4 months i've gone from 50 FPS on max graphics on 16-asteroid world to 20 FPS on minimum graphics on a 4-asteroid world

edit: after some CREATIVE RESOURCE MANAGEMENT the game is now playable. woohoo.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:29:05 PM by Kearn »

http://forums.keenswh.com/post?id=7018986

Features
- control blocks through toolbar
- fire weapons which are attached with rotors and pistons
- multiple toolbars (switching by dot and comma)
- re-enabled the save confirmation on leave for autosave worlds

Fixes
- reduced network bandwidth for all moving objects
- reduced idle network bandwidth (when player sits in ship and doing nothing)
- fixed VSync crash
- fixed few spelling errors
- fixed too fragile piston
- fixed piston copy/paste glitch
- fixed issue when piston was pasted without top part
- fixed issue with piston physics
- fixed pistons functioning without power
- fixed issue when piston was not working on converted platform
- fixed crash while adding cargo container under the piston
- fixed issue when piston’s top part gets separated when platform is merged with ship
- fixed crash when retracting a chain of pistons at once
- fixed spamming reverse breaking pistons
- fixed issue when pressing "No" on exit the world was saved anyway
- fixed overriding thruster force causes all thrusters facing the same way to fire
- fixed custom color was not saved after exiting the world
- fixed cost of recharging battery is called "Sprint"
- fixed 1x1 wheels popping out after merge
- fixed explosives not doing damage after explosion on dedicated server
- fixed rotors floating in the air after client merges two grids
- fixed turret rectangle is visible when weapons are not enabled in world
- fixed issue when control panel items were clickable even when they were invisible
- fixed delete block sound volume was too loud when deleting many blocks with symmetry
- fixed full batteries still using energy
- fixed crash when ":" was written into search-box
- fixed turrets target stuff on when moving

Goodness how could i have forgotten Thursday, my new favorite day of the week.

updated topic title

We should get a team PvP game going sometime.

From what I understand, they did not make the engine used in this game. And it's no trivial thing to just make something that's singlethreaded into something that can run threads simultaneously. It makes sense that they would try to add all of the features they've planned before getting really deep into optimization.
...false. The VRage engine is an in-house engine developed by KSH

We should get a team PvP game going sometime.

the only thing that bothers me is how close together asteroids are...one or two factions can easily maintain control over them while the rest of us are forced out into empty space, either relying on trading with the fewer asteroid factions or raiding passing cargo ships.

if cargo ships were disabled, you have no real choice but to go in and either mine sneakily or join one of the asteroid factions.

what happens if the asteroids run dry, though? what if we can't produce more ammunition? would people start throwing ships and chunks of metal at stations to fight?

and then if the metal runs out? would people turn their starbases into ships and then jury rig thrusters onto it in one last effort to go out with a bang? or would everyone just fight with grinders and hand drills?

i'd imagine larger worlds or some sort of asteroid generation (even looping maps would work) would be needed to keep a more popular server up and running for a long time

correct me if i'm wrong on anything, i haven't played in a while

I've always liked the idea of Cargo ships being some sort of resource when things run dry. Also its a bit fun raiding a ship.

i don't think a team pvp game would really require that many resources. yogscast did a cool one actually where they had an hour to build up and the objective was to destroy the enemy spawn or something.

...false. The VRage engine is an in-house engine developed by KSH
I guess I heard wrong then. Regardless, multithreading is not as simple as it may seem. You still have to manually schedule the threads within the code, and detect any applicable hardware. I'm sure it will happen at some point, but they're probably waiting until they finish adding features to get a better idea of what specific processes can be run per thread.

the only thing that bothers me is how close together asteroids are...one or two factions can easily maintain control over them while the rest of us are forced out into empty space, either relying on trading with the fewer asteroid factions or raiding passing cargo ships.

if cargo ships were disabled, you have no real choice but to go in and either mine sneakily or join one of the asteroid factions.

what happens if the asteroids run dry, though? what if we can't produce more ammunition? would people start throwing ships and chunks of metal at stations to fight?

and then if the metal runs out? would people turn their starbases into ships and then jury rig thrusters onto it in one last effort to go out with a bang? or would everyone just fight with grinders and hand drills?

i'd imagine larger worlds or some sort of asteroid generation (even looping maps would work) would be needed to keep a more popular server up and running for a long time

correct me if i'm wrong on anything, i haven't played in a while

I mean pre-determined teams, the two stations map, and an amount of time until we fire away at each other.

I mean pre-determined teams, the two stations map, and an amount of time until we fire away at each other.

that would be kinda fun actually

the only thing I want from this game are small signs.
srsly.