Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.

Author Topic: Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.  (Read 14927 times)

how about we write a program to properly steal resource files from cache.db

then you just gotta save the datablock, export the file, boom vehicle/brick/weapon (partly) stolen

it won't work for scripts obviously but it's a start to combat private stuff
Ok so the best course of action is now to directly start stealing content from people?
You're loving handicapped.

Truce has typically handed things out when asked.
Yeah, the moment the buildable vehicles by Pass failed, he released his own right after lol

Ok so the best course of action is now to directly start stealing content from people?
Yes it is, that way you'll still have a copy if they disappear without releasing it.

Yes it is, that way you'll still have a copy if they disappear without releasing it.
Nope, still not justified. You can't just resort to stealing things just because someone chooses not to release them. I don't necessarily like it when people hoard their stuff, but directly abusing something to gain access to a mod is outright handicapped.

Nope, still not justified. You can't just resort to stealing things just because someone chooses not to release them. I don't necessarily like it when people hoard their stuff, but directly abusing something to gain access to a mod is outright handicapped.
So you want to re-create it from scratch if it isn't released?

If the game as a whole stands to benefit from it, and the creator is too much of an ass to release it EVER, then hell loving yes it's justified. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and the one.

I don't agree running around stealing add-ons from people known to actively contribute to the game, and to release their things. The fine line would be if they just didnt' release their things, but actively did stuff.
But if you know the creator is on the verge of running away with a metaphorical 'million-dollar' worth add-on, or even a couple, just for their own selfish or unknown reason, then why the hell not?

i feel like when the game downloads files from a server, you should have a "save downloaded add-ons" checkbox which will put a copy of the downloaded add-ons onto your client.

i feel like when the game downloads files from a server, you should have a "save downloaded add-ons" checkbox which will put a copy of the downloaded add-ons onto your client.
The reason this is not the case is to prevent people exploiting that for malicious purposes.

The reason this is not the case is to prevent people exploiting that for malicious purposes.
hm, true.
though i'd imagine it'd work well with rtb if rtb was still up.

this is something i have always wanted

this is something i have always wanted

But then you run the risk of joining a server with a broken add-on that doesn't work / isn't finished

OR a malicious add-on made to infect your Blockland...

The only thing Badspot really needs to do with this game is add Steam Workshop support so that Steam users can get addons easier.

Well thank god Arekan posted this topic. I'm not convinced you did this for any other reason to save face.

Are you loving kidding me right now? Did you even bother to check timestamps? Even so, I was planning to do so roughly a month ago. If you really think I made that archive just to retaliate, how exactly would I have gone through two old USB drives with folder hell and about 9 archived installs of various operating systems? You sound like you're more interested in filling your daily quota for "let's make totally inconsiderate remarks without understanding the situation to sound cool" stuff than to actually contribute to the topic.

You've shown tons of working prototypes, I've even seen them on your server. When asked about them your excuses were usually non-existent or completely solvable by opening to the community.

It'd be nice if you could get your facts right before throwing accusations and assumptions around. All of these have been public since the beginning.

Yeah, well, sorry you have to deal with people who need help. It must be a real terrible thing, I really sympathize for you, as I'm sure you're the only person on planet Earth who has to deal with it. Seriously, if you can't deal with it, don't deal with it. At this point I'm sure everyone's already used to being disappointed by you.

Yeah, real nice job on all the sarcasm. I'm sure you're proud of that one. Maybe you could actually try to understand that releasing large Add-Ons isn't just posting a link to a file.