#gamergate megathread

Author Topic: #gamergate megathread  (Read 122665 times)

its all over

I don't get it.

What's the relationship between the two? What's Gawker? I'm out of the loop.

I'm out of the loop.
It's best to stay out. Political knowledge just leads to stuffstorms.

It's best to stay out. Political knowledge just leads to stuffstorms.

I'd rather have a stuffstorm than remain in the dark.

I don't get it.

What's the relationship between the two? What's Gawker? I'm out of the loop.
Gawker is a media outlet that owns Kotaku (the main website that people who are pro-#GG despise), Jezebel and a bunch of other blogging sites. There's no real journalism on the Gawker network, and yet they present themselves as such.

Adobe runs ads on a bunch of websites, and the Gawker network was one of them. Because of the #GG protests, they've decided to pull advertising so as to keep themselves distanced from any drama, and maybe even gain a few customers in the process.

Gawker is a media outlet that owns Kotaku (the main website that people who are pro-#GG despise), Jezebel and a bunch of other blogging sites. There's no real journalism on the Gawker network, and yet they present themselves as such.

Adobe runs ads on a bunch of websites, and the Gawker network was one of them. Because of the #GG protests, they've decided to pull advertising so as to keep themselves distanced from any drama, and maybe even gain a few customers in the process.

I see now.

What's the difference between "pro-gamergate" and "anti-gamergate"? Does "pro-gamergate" mean you're for calling out the shenanigans or you're against that?

I see now.

What's the difference between "pro-gamergate" and "anti-gamergate"? Does "pro-gamergate" mean you're for calling out the shenanigans or you're against that?
Anti-Gamergate means you support the bloggers and believe pro-GG people are basement-dwelling misogynists. Pro-Gamergate means you support people like Total Biscuit, InternetAristocrat, AngryMatt (forgot his actual name) and believe that anti-GG people are all SJW hipsters who don't care about gaming and want to bring their agendas into everything.

It's a bit confusing, but basically the pro-GG people think that Gamergate is a positive thing, since it brings awareness to the problems going on.

tl;dr "pro-gamergate" means you're for calling out the shenanigans"

anti-GG people are all SJW hipsters who don't care about gaming and want to bring their agendas into everything.

Gamergate is a positive thing, since it brings awareness to the problems going on.

Isn't this true?

where does the stupid end

Pro-Gamergate means you support people like Total Biscuit,
Really? He seems to post more things against it than most I follow.

Really? He seems to post more things against it than most I follow.
He is against the "fighting" but he is for the main goal of GG

how'd you miss this bit?

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/520242699082145792
Maybe its just because he seems to be reasonable in most of his views and I haven't yet seen him repeat unfounded claims or supporting people being richards
He is against the "fighting" but he is for the main goal of GG
Yeah

See right now the "goal" of GG and the "societally viewed goal"  do not match, and this is what is leading to the majority of conflicts right now between the gamer community and the outside world.
Yes there is a problem in journalism, and as evident by the past few weeks there still is a problem of discrimination within our community and both of these have to be addressed. The problem as it has been stated repeatedly, is that people are wrongly thinking equality in journalism is against equality in society and vice-versa which is a very silly statement when said aloud.