#gamergate megathread

Author Topic: #gamergate megathread  (Read 122630 times)

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who care about journalistic integrity, and those who don't.

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who care about journalistic integrity, and those who don't.
gawker journalists are the latter

ftfy
I think there is at least one game journalist that isn't a complete lying starfish.

I think there is at least one game journalist that isn't a complete lying starfish.
Nah, didn't you know that once you are similar to any other starfish on the planet you are automatically labeled an starfish.

What's best is that kotaku is trying to play it off like they're not involved

What's best is that kotaku is trying to play it off like they're not involved
once begging for people to stop didnt work they decided their only hope was to let it blow over

Nah, didn't you know that once you are similar to any other starfish on the planet you are automatically labeled an starfish.

OH OKAY LET ME JUST CHANGE THE JOKE REAL QUICK FOR YOU GUYS NO PROBLEM

A LOT OF game journalists are the latter

OKAY BAND-AID ON THE BOO-BOO DOES BABY FEEL ALL BETTER?

OH OKAY LET ME JUST CHANGE THE JOKE REAL QUICK FOR YOU GUYS NO PROBLEM

OKAY BAND-AID ON THE BOO-BOO DOES BABY FEEL ALL BETTER?
can i have a lollipop

can i have a lollipop

yeah but we only have orange flavored tootsie-roll pops.

this is the most i have ever felt like i am out of touch with controversy in my realms of interest

so the way i understand this whole thing is some girl touched wieners to get good reviews or something and now it's blown up and people are either making it a massive feminist issue, mindlessly attacking people and being generally unpleasant people, internet yelling back and forth, or asserting that the entire issue is misplaced and the centre of it is really x and not y (tl;dr there were a few bad people that accepted loveual favours for dishonesty and now it's a big deal cus w/e right it's the internet)

is that the gist of it

It started off with a woman named Zoe Quinn (if that's even her real name) cheating on her boyfriend with several people and it was speculated that because she had a loveual relation with Nathan Grayson, that Nathon had given her game (Depression Quest) a positive review because of that. (unrelated: It was later shown that Nathan's name is in the credits for Depression Quest from all the way back in 2013, before the review) Because of this, people started digging into things and evidence started piling up that several gaming journalism sites were corrupt, and that is when #gamergate started. Multiple sites put out a total of (iirc) 20+ articles within the same day all saying the same thing: "Gamers are dead" which prompted a lot of suspicion. It was later found that they had a secret mailing list where they were colluding together to try to push their agendas, and talk about what they will and will not talk about on their sites. that was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for all those sites.

now several companies like adobe and nissan and colgate have pulled ads out of gawker media (the place that runs a bunch of the sites that were colluding with eachother) and they're losing thousands of dollars, and people are trying to get more companies to do the same
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:32:39 AM by Ipquarx »

-aw loving stuff i meant to edit ignore-

well that is a pretty goofy scenario