Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator v3 [Working on v3.1]  (Read 98959 times)

i'm assuming it uses whatever bricks are on your server at the moment, so i doubt there's custom ones for the add-on itself, as it would use any brick you enable?
In the above screenshots of the GUI it shows sylvanor's tree bricks and general's plant bricks. I'm assuming that those are used in the mod someway. I am wondering if there is anything else not shown currently being used.

On a side note, can the buildings have events in them? Nothing involving named bricks of course.

In the above screenshots of the GUI it shows sylvanor's tree bricks and general's plant bricks. I'm assuming that those are used in the mod someway. I am wondering if there is anything else not shown currently being used.

On a side note, can the buildings have events in them? Nothing involving named bricks of course.
they're in the add-ons section, if it works anyway like the old versions did it has a menu that allows you to select bricks for the biomes and detail, etc

they're in the add-ons section, if it works anyway like the old versions did it has a menu that allows you to select bricks for the biomes and detail, etc
Yeah, the detail selector window just lists all the bricks for the server, so you can choose whatever you want to be generated for biome details. I did however make custom cubic bricks which will be included with the generator (such as pillars, half cubes, etc.), which are used to fill in gaps in terrain while keeping the brick limit down. Would you need those?

Yeah, the detail selector window just lists all the bricks for the server, so you can choose whatever you want to be generated for biome details. I did however make custom cubic bricks which will be included with the generator (such as pillars, half cubes, etc.), which are used to fill in gaps in terrain while keeping the brick limit down. Would you need those?
Alright, I was confused since sylvanor's trees come in two parts with trunk and leaves. Since the trees would have to be built in a fashion the selector would have to recognize those bricks and add a trunk to each tree. If the selector can do that I assumed that the tree bricks were part of generator. Its not that far of a leap to assume that general's plant bricks are also part of the generator.

Could you release the bricks? It would be handy to have all possible materials we can work with without adding unnecessary bricks. 

Alright, I was confused since sylvanor's trees come in two parts with trunk and leaves. Since the trees would have to be built in a fashion the selector would have to recognize those bricks and add a trunk to each tree. If the selector can do that I assumed that the tree bricks were part of generator. Its not that far of a leap to assume that general's plant bricks are also part of the generator.

Could you release the bricks? It would be handy to have all possible materials we can work with without adding unnecessary bricks. 

That's alright, actually you gave me a good idea about using Sylvanor's bricks - if I have time I'll add support to automatically add leaves to trunk bricks if planted, or vice versa. And sure, I'll include a pack of all the cubic bricks; I wasn't able to add in the preview icons yet however.

Yes, the generator loads events with the saves. Directional events don't get rotated with the builds, but there is an easy way around this if necessary.

A pack of custom bricks used in PTG is included below. Feel free to use these bricks in any builds you wish to submit for the generator. Although, it may be best to delete the brick pack once PTG is finally released.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5detpifze82ru4/Brick_PTG_Custom.zip?dl=0 (6.44kb)

it may be best to delete the brick pack once PTG is finally released.
May I inquire why?

It's not required, but both add-ons use the same datablock names. I'm not sure if having them both enabled would cause problems or console errors.

There is an option included called Edge FallOff that forces the edges of terrain to gradually end at ground level, so that should help with creating finite islands.
I currently have a question unrelated to building objects concerning procedural island generating. Since it is possible to make the ground gradually go down onto ground level is it possible to make it gradually come back up in the distance? Such as having Edge FallOff not work for a set distance but work at a random one allowing this to be used as a sort of island generator mod?

If it is possible I request a feature: island support

Support for having this would require that islands generated off the ground up (pun) would have six items.

• The coastline being of primary concern when it comes to this mod working with islands. A check box in the GUI for "enable island support" would make it so that the Edge FallOff height is above the water level height as set in the environmental control panel.

• Second it would make it so whatever was selected as the coast color/texture would appear on the bricks within that height range.

• The third thing it would do is make it so any caves generated would be above the water level height.

• The fourth item involved would be settings that allow the player to control the minimal/maximum ranges islands appear at along with the rate at which islands appear. These settings would of course only work with island support enabled.

• The fifth requirement to make island support work would be another setting to allow the player to control how far the coast goes above the Edge FallOff height. This could work without island support as a simple setting for how high normal coasts go on up.

• The last problem is what happens if the player changes the water height after generating an island. The height of an islands coast should not change without reloading. If a player saves an island and reloads it the island should correct its height to match the water level. If a player changes the water height and goes off into the distance the new islands that spawn should have a coast that matches the water level at that current time. If a player saves and reloads the islands that are at different heights and reloads at a new water level the difference should stay the same. However the water level should be below of what ever is the lowest island on the server.

That is everything island support would need to work properly, The one big reason island support touching the ground rather than an ocean setting in the current procedural would be useful is how it would save on brick count tremendously. Islands being non-continual would avoid the use of water/ground bricks in between them.

Now I do recognize this is not just a large, but ginormous request so I am asking if you could put this in a future update, such as v4 or 5, or 6. As long as it is made sometime within the next three years I shall be content.
(p.s. sorry for bad grammar)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:52:14 PM by Bester Bageler »

well crap

i won't be on my computer for the whole week end

i hope i will still be able to test

nevermind

something unexpected happened so i will be available tomorrow
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:02:45 PM by 77x5ghost2 »

well crap

i won't be on my computer for the whole week end

i hope i will still be able to test
I believe that the way this works is that he'll pm testers the alpha version instead of hosting a server, so you'll be good.

I believe that the way this works is that he'll pm testers the alpha version instead of hosting a server, so you'll be good.
Exactly, I'm finishing up the Alpha version now so the testers can try it hands on.

I currently have a question unrelated to building objects concerning procedural island generating. Since it is possible to make the ground gradually go down onto ground level is it possible to make it gradually come back up in the distance? Such as having Edge FallOff not work for a set distance but work at a random one allowing this to be used as a sort of island generator mod?

If it is possible I request a feature: island support

Support for having this would require that islands generated off the ground up (pun) would have six items.

• The coastline being of primary concern when it comes to this mod working with islands. A check box in the GUI for "enable island support" would make it so that the Edge FallOff height is above the water level height as set in the environmental control panel.

• Second it would make it so whatever was selected as the coast color/texture would appear on the bricks within that height range.

• The third thing it would do is make it so any caves generated would be above the water level height.

• The fourth item involved would be settings that allow the player to control the minimal/maximum ranges islands appear at along with the rate at which islands appear. These settings would of course only work with island support enabled.

• The fifth requirement to make island support work would be another setting to allow the player to control how far the coast goes above the Edge FallOff height. This could work without island support as a simple setting for how high normal coasts go on up.

• The last problem is what happens if the player changes the water height after generating an island. The height of an islands coast should not change without reloading. If a player saves an island and reloads it the island should correct its height to match the water level. If a player changes the water height and goes off into the distance the new islands that spawn should have a coast that matches the water level at that current time. If a player saves and reloads the islands that are at different heights and reloads at a new water level the difference should stay the same. However the water level should be below of what ever is the lowest island on the server.

That is everything island support would need to work properly, The one big reason island support touching the ground rather than an ocean setting in the current procedural would be useful is how it would save on brick count tremendously. Islands being non-continual would avoid the use of water/ground bricks in between them.

Now I do recognize this is not just a large, but ginormous request so I am asking if you could put this in a future update, such as v4 or 5, or 6. As long as it is made sometime within the next three years I shall be content.
(p.s. sorry for bad grammar)
It is possible by changing the terrain scales. Terrain works by overlaying 3 detail passes, 4 if you enable Skylands. So if you increase the scale of the largest pass, you can create islands that generate further apart. An easier solution though is to enable a feature called "Connect Lakes", which basically turns small lakes into oceans.

I'm almost done finalizing server settings updating with the GUI! It's being setup to work with dedicated servers, and to allow other players to upload their settings - if you enable that feature. The generator takes into account when you change servers (to prevent issues with the GUIs), and only allows one player to upload settings at a time.

It is possible by changing the terrain scales. Terrain works by overlaying 3 detail passes, 4 if you enable Skylands. So if you increase the scale of the largest pass, you can create islands that generate further apart. An easier solution though is to enable a feature called "Connect Lakes", which basically turns small lakes into oceans.
I would like to join testing

Sure, I'll add you to the list

i'm going to be away until the thirtieth
if that's a problem feel free to strike me off the list, although i would love to test