Poll

What course would you most like to see first/participate in most?

Modeling and animation
35 (39.8%)
General Scripting
45 (51.1%)
Datablock specific information (state system, emitter/projectile/explosion properties, image limitations, bots, etc)
7 (8%)
Other/Not listed (make a post)
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Add-on Making Academy (Google Classroom details in OP, new poll)  (Read 25815 times)

you must be a nerd then
swollow's that fat chick you'd see walking down the hallway with glasses and braces, science textbook under one arm and pokemon trading cards in her hands

ty based thearmyguy i need this in my life

yes please bby

We can't be friends now
but ye I'll help

swollow's that fat chick you'd see walking down the hallway with glasses and braces, science textbook under one arm and pokemon trading cards in her hands
don't be so quick to assume their gender now

I know there are a lot of people on here including myself who have been scared away from making add-on because of the lack of documentation for the workflow beyond the basics such as prints and static items. This is something that should've been done 5 years ago, but the next best time is now. I hope you can start a sort of add-on renaissance Conan, the Blockland community is depending on you.

I know there are a lot of people on here including myself who have been scared away from making add-on because of the lack of documentation for the workflow beyond the basics such as prints and static items. This is something that should've been done 5 years ago, but the next best time is now. I hope you can start a sort of add-on renaissance Conan, the Blockland community is depending on you.

Or, maybe you and a lot of people are just too lazy to do simple research. There's literally TONS of resources on this forum alone and on this forum, tons of resources that are external (websites, etc). Let's not use this excuse please.

How do i make my own addons

Badspot:   If you can't figure this out on your own you will never be able to do it.

(http://blockland.us/FAQ.html#v)

Even though i disagree with that statement, it is quite true.

figuring something out on your own includes independently finding help from others
my interpretation of that is that if you can't figure out how to code/model/whatever without someone over you 24/7 you shouldn't bother putting your effort towards it

Or, maybe you and a lot of people are just too lazy to do simple research. There's literally TONS of resources on this forum alone and on this forum, tons of resources that are external (websites, etc). Let's not use this excuse please.
its far harder and more tiresome and boring to learn on your own, makes it less fun and more work. i would never be where i am at now if it werent for the many people who were willing to point me in the right direction

the biggest impediment to new modders is not knowing what you dont know, and documentation can only change that if hours and hours of time are dedicated to just reading things, and thats for well documented languages. blockland has no good central source other than the generic tge documentation, which doesn't mention oft-used player, brick, and vehicle functions.

-snip-

I get what you're saying, but once again it comes down the resources available (which is more than enough for anyone to start learning). Resources also being the ability to ask question on these forums, and if needed, sending private messages (questions) to people who have the knowledge. Lastly, they can even ask questions via steam (for those that use it). So if you're scared away from making add-ons because of 'lack of documentation', I have some bad news for you.

Of course there can and will be more and more resources available as time goes by.

blockland's documentation is not the worst out there lol

or, the documentation we have, I mean

Holy forget I didn't realize you were such a prick who couldn't identify with lazy starfishs like myself who don't want to take the time to filter through stuffty outdated forum posts to figure out how to do anything and then have the audacity to make excuses about why we haven't done anything.

I get what you're saying, but once again it comes down the resources available (which is more than enough for anyone to start learning). Resources also being the ability to ask question on these forums, and if needed, sending private messages (questions) to people who have the knowledge. Lastly, they can even ask questions via steam (for those that use it). So if you're scared away from making add-ons because of 'lack of documentation', I have some bad news for you.

Of course there can and will be more and more resources available as time goes by.

Back in High School I wanted to learn C++. It was a mindblowing amount of resources available and so hard to even start doing anything. At the same time I learned Java and PHP so I thought it would be easy, but I was so wrong.

Later when I went to a Qualified Vocational Training, they learned us C++, and that was way easier than doing it on my own.

For TorqueScript, I think it's a mix of "bothersome" and "contradictions" that makes it hard for people to even start learning. First, they need to know what makes programming fun. Then their lust for finding resources will make everything go automatically.