Add-on Making Academy (Google Classroom details in OP, new poll)

Poll

What course would you most like to see first/participate in most?

Modeling and animation
35 (39.8%)
General Scripting
45 (51.1%)
Datablock specific information (state system, emitter/projectile/explosion properties, image limitations, bots, etc)
7 (8%)
Other/Not listed (make a post)
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Add-on Making Academy (Google Classroom details in OP, new poll)  (Read 26174 times)

I feel like the methods and object orientated section of torquescript is the most practical for add-on making. There's only like 5-6 methods that i use frequently and with that i'm able to make 90% of my add-ons functional. Simple stuff like onDamage or onCollision really give you so much room to make awesome add-ons

vector math is probably the ugliest part of torquescript and I still don't fully understand how it works, which is sad because it's also very important
its "the most practical" if all you want to make is guns/generic items. im sure people want to make things like my prop tool, not just items, and that takes a lot more code than just a few functions.

vector math is tough in general and is /not/ limited to torquescript lol. ts provides convenient vector manipulation functions as well so its not like it's particularly difficult to use in ts

Creating vectors isn't much of an issue. It's mostly rotating objects relative to vectors and figuring other stuff out. Most of the euler and axis stuff is difficult to me.
look up euler angles and axis angles and see if you can figure out how ports brick tool does it (aka understand each step in the math). if you can understand that, you're already doing pretty well. theres multiple ways to do it, and each way has its pros and cons.

if you make a modeling tutorial make sure you strongly discourage all this 1x scale realistic weaponry bullstuff
it will cover scaling to players, including noting the player body proportions. as a good rule of thumb, scale the gun to the head, relative to how the gun is scaled to irl heads. this results in slightly oversized but appropriate-looking guns, oversize due to how the blockhead head takes up 1/3 of the body compared to irl only 1/8 - 1/10

to be good at vector math you just need to learn linear algebra lol

also anyone who wants to become good at coding needs to know .dump();

Yes please. So many tutorials on the web are trash or incomplete

i completely forgot about this
i've tried learning blender several times now but all the good tutorials are on old versions

but if bl is dying r u guys really all that interested??

i was gonna put up a poll at the end of the month as a new topic to re-gauge interest, but i guess we can still use this topic

Still very interested, literally my favorite game of all time.

Creating vectors isn't much of an issue. It's mostly rotating objects relative to vectors and figuring other stuff out. Most of the euler and axis stuff is difficult to me.
I have had my fair share of issues with this myself.
I never really was a math genius, but managed overall.
But when i had to do relative vectors and stuff, i bumped into a boatload of troubles.

Why havnt I heard if this yet? Yes please!

Holy forget, i might actually be able to learn TS now!

does the add-on also make the add-on maker?

No, you don't automatically can make good Add-Ons. You need to yourself learn what is good quality.

No, you don't automatically can make good Add-Ons. You need to yourself learn what is good quality.
I was trying be philosophical there lol.
Basically saying what you make it turn makes you.

I was trying be philosophical there lol.
Basically saying what you make it turn makes you.

Oh, my bad. I just thought it was badly written question.

"In mother Russia, Add-Ons makes you."

only if the addon maker has nothing else in life but addons

aka me