INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause

Author Topic: INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause  (Read 129203 times)

"Once again, you've managed to tell me nothing with a paragraph's worth of words. I asked who your contact was," Zhang snaps, "not how you got here."
With a sigh, Zhang leans back in her seat and takes a sip of her water. She points at Norum, continuing, "He says you can dig up anything? I want a list. Information broker, potential contacts, people you've corroborated the most recent information with, their connections, information on Xang, the Anglers, their potential connections. You want to work together?" she stares at Elena with hooded eyes, "Then you're going to have to pour everything you've got into finding who set us up."
With finality, Zhang sets her water on the table with enough force to drive a few drops into the air before they land back in the glass.

Ryde withdrawls from the conversation for a second, looking around the bar to see if there are any suspicious stares or anything suspicious in the bar.

Ryde withdrawls from the conversation for a second, looking around the bar to see if there are any suspicious stares or anything suspicious in the bar.
At least half the bar is looking at the party's direction taking notice of the increasingly heated exchange

"You're demanding aren't you? Nobody has to give you anything." Amanda said sternly towards Zhang. "What makes you so useful? You're the only bird here that doesn't know where it's going and somehow you want everything plus more from the only lead you have."

Throughout the exchange, Norum gets more and more irritated, eventually rising to anger.  Abruptly, he stands up.
"Listen. miss.  We've done over two years of research on the bastard and as Elena just said, we already put too much time into researching this guy, and he never remains in one place for longer than two weeks. I can't count on four hands how many times we tried to figure this stuff out in depth and there's cobwebs where the starfish was staying."

Norum sits back down and resumes in a calmer, but still irritated tone

"I already told you that we have no such luxury of time and I made it clear that with more manpower, we have a higher chance of success. And you're not going to be any bit more successful on your own or with anyone you can find in that jungle."

"I want you to be very. Very. clear.  What do you even want out of this, huh?" Norum points at everyone seated or around the table. "Newsflash for all of you and I regret to say it, but the conditions that you have don't stop here. It gets worse, and as a doctor at the hospital had told me, it's terminal."

Ryde lightly knocks on the table to get the table's attention. He then whispers, "We have a crowd."

"You're demanding aren't you? Nobody has to give you anything." Amanda said sternly towards Zhang. "What makes you so useful? You're the only bird here that doesn't know where it's going and somehow you want everything plus more from the only lead you have."

"Oh and y-"

Throughout the exchange, Norum gets more and more irritated, eventually rising to anger.  Abruptly, he stands up.

[snip]

"I want you to be very. Very. clear.  What do you even want out of this, huh?" Norum points at everyone seated or around the table. "Newsflash for all of you and I regret to say it, but the conditions that you have don't stop here. It gets worse, and as a doctor at the hospital had told me, it's terminal."

What do you even want out of this, huh?
As she watches Norum's face, a high-pitched ringing starts to fill Zhang's ears. Then a throbbing headache that only seems to be getting worse with every pulse.
What the hell do I want? I know I'm not getting my old life back, of course I'm not. So what the hell am I still doing? What the hell drives me?
She props her elbow onto the table and rubs her eyes with her thumb and forefinger. "I want answers," she sighs. She lifts her head, fully expecting a need to elaborate.

"Welcome to the club."

"You people are loving ridiculous," Daniel cuts in, "I'm going outside before someone recognizes me," he said, gesturing subtly to the patrons of the bar, who periodically turn and face the loud group.

Ryde looks to his soda, leaning into the wall next to the booth to remain out of the conversation

"She's right." Norum says in return, gesturing to Amanda with his hand, the look of frustration mostly swapped with worry at the sudden change in expression and attention from the bar.

Norum then resumes, calmly, "I'm afraid we're all short of a proper explanation. You want information, I know, but what we can provide now is little."

Norum stops as Daniel announces his exit, looking to him as he speaks and heads for the exit. "Hey, uhhhh, sorry didn't get your name. We'll be out soon."

Norum turns back to Elena, who has grown visibly upset at the attention that's been turned to the party and nods, lips pursed before turning to Zhang again. "Look, this Doctor is a complete mystery. Some big fish in the Gokudo even know he exists and keep their eyes peeled. We all want answers, some of us want revenge, and some just want to live out their last days in relative comfort rather than in a gutter.     However..."

"I don't think anyone here had their previous lives turned on their head, permanently forgeted over by a sole guy with motives unknown, and just ask for information in return. You will have to answer for yourself what you want on your time, and it's the only answer that will make a real difference."

Norum pauses and then turns to Elena, motioning with his eyes and head to the bar patrons. "We need to move on."

Amanda looks at Elena.

"If you're going to continue bar crawling then my presence here needs to conclude."

Amanda looks at Elena.

"If you're going to continue bar crawling then my presence here needs to conclude."

"You don't say. I'll close the tab," she says.

She turns around and heads to the bar.

Jae stands up from the booth, taking a few final swigs of soju, exiting the booth and walking outside.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:43:03 PM by bigcapitalbaka »

Norum makes his way out of the booth, stands up, and casually walks towards the exit and opens the door and peers around for Daniel.