Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 236149 times)

if you've got modding or pink pointy hats, you'll end up with snake avatars anyways though
yeah but you'd have to change/make a new model, or use your imagination to it"s extent to make something that looks vaguely like a snake out of existing models
making a character out of voxels just makes it so it can be just a snake. mods can be moderated and characters can be restricted.

If it's a sandbox, a snake will be made.

If it's a sandbox, a snake will be made.
It's one of the basic laws of sandbox.

ok but will it have a farlands

theoretically, a majority of games will.

if you've got modding or pink pointy hats, you'll end up with snake avatars anyways though
it wouldnt be a literal snake, only an avatar evocative of the snake aesthetic. the rest of my points still stand though

it wouldnt be a literal snake, only an avatar evocative of the snake aesthetic. the rest of my points still stand though
if you can replace the avatar with your own model like you can in blockland, someone can add a snake model. it'd have to be on the server but it'd be possible.

And as for the modded bricks thing, just make people have a backup avatar with only default bricks in case the server doesn't have the right bricks. then they default to that until they fix their main avatar to only use bricks the server has.

Dude this project looks SICK!

if you can replace the avatar with your own model like you can in blockland, someone can add a snake model. it'd have to be on the server but it'd be possible.

And as for the modded bricks thing, just make people have a backup avatar with only default bricks in case the server doesn't have the right bricks. then they default to that until they fix their main avatar to only use bricks the server has.
doesnt address the problems regarding playertype scale/hitbox/animations and weapon mount locations, as well as visibility. imagine a DM where you have your avatar set as a single pixel. what about models and animations like mesh deforms (think smooth head rotations like on my dog playertype)? in the end server hosts would end up defining player avatars except on newbie servers or servers set up for people to intentionally richard around, which defeats the point of this custom avatar system being able to "express yourself".
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:44:51 PM by Conan »

in the end server hosts would end up defining player avatars except on newbie servers or servers set up for people to intentionally richard around, which defeats the point of this custom avatar system being able to "express yourself".
but blockland can do that right now. whats the point of avatar customization at all if a host can just force a playertype/model in a default minigame?

but tbh i think just having a base avatar that allows customization is ok. being able to create and event "bots" that could be made out of bricks would be really cool though

but blockland can do that right now. whats the point of avatar customization at all if a host can just force a playertype/model in a default minigame?

but tbh i think just having a base avatar that allows customization is ok. being able to create and event "bots" that could be made out of bricks would be really cool though
the base avatar works for 99% of situations, and the only time server hosts limit what the player can wear is out of aesthethic or gameplay reasons, eg team uniforms and stuff (but allowing players to customize certain parts of their uniform). this partial-customization wouldnt work with a 100% sandbox avatar system since there's no way to reliably determine "skin color" or "shoulder attachments" or the like.

the difference is like a good vs bad cityrpg (build wise). if you let anyone build anything you'll just have stuff spam 90% of the time, with maybe the occasional quality house and the occasional snake/troll build. meanwhile if you restrict the kinds of builds people can make, overall the server looks better and has a more consistent quality.

Thinking in terms of "whether the server has the proper bricks or not" is very closed-minded toward how Blockland and Torque is designed. Building a new avatar and brick system from the ground up, it would be trivial for this to not be an issue. From what it looks like, this game already doesn't have fixed brick sizes. Models can be transferred both ways. I've seen this thinking a few times in this thread, this isn't TGE and this isn't Blockland 2.

just an idea, make a mode specifically to give players the deep farlands experience

just an idea, make a mode specifically to give players the deep farlands experience
The farlands is something every game engine will have, so you should be able to have that experience by venturing far enough away from the origin. It would be interesting to add a custom / unique farlands experience somehow.

Brazillian life savings? 100 pennies won't get you far.
lol

why not mods that allow things like fancy character customization n stuff
Thinking in terms of "whether the server has the proper bricks or not" is very closed-minded toward how Blockland and Torque is designed. Building a new avatar and brick system from the ground up, it would be trivial for this to not be an issue. From what it looks like, this game already doesn't have fixed brick sizes. Models can be transferred both ways. I've seen this thinking a few times in this thread, this isn't TGE and this isn't Blockland 2.
The idea for building your own avatar from bricks is very creative and a great idea, but it would be hard to implement, especially since I'm mostly working by myself right now. But, I definitely want to add plenty of options for character customization, and allow support for modding the avatar.

this needs a discord server so we get notified when an idea is posted, until notifications for the blf get implemented