Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232235 times)

Kickstarter is probably not a good idea considering how much flak kickstarter games have gotten lately. I'm not saying GSF's is guarenteed to fail, but alot of other "developers" have done stunts which give games who go on kickstarter a bad name.
If I do pursue Kickstarter, it won't be until the game is in Beta and there's a demo players can try. I want to make sure the game's release is well within sight before doing crowdfunding.

Greenlight died, that's not an option anymore.
direct seems much easier than greenlight to me
Oh okay, I'll look into this more when the game gets closer to release; hopefully it's a lot easier to get games on Steam by now.

do you think you can add a gamemode that keeps the original BL stuffty vehicle physics
I don't think that would be possible lol.

Kickstarter is probably not a good idea considering how much flak kickstarter games have gotten lately. I'm not saying GSF's is guarenteed to fail, but alot of other "developers" have done stunts which give games who go on kickstarter a bad name.
The reason is because most of these failed projects started out only on paper, it didn't had a proper game to showcase, or even a demo to try, if GSF does choose that option he must have a great portion of the game done to showcase, and a demo to try.

That demo could also be sent for websites and youtube channels to help promote the game.

Or even a prototype, at least.
Something quickly made just for the sake of presenting the idea. That's pretty much what v0002 was.

Oh okay, I'll look into this more when the game gets closer to release; hopefully it's a lot easier to get games on Steam by now.

Now you just pay 100$ to Valve and your game gets put on Steam iirc

Now you just pay 100$ to Valve and your game gets put on Steam iirc
That would be a welcome change from the voting process they had before; 100$ is not bad.

Btw, if y'all are open, I could really use help with up-voting the progress updates I post on Imgur. It would help promote the game to even more people, and helps with the trolls who go around down-voting posts and lowering the reputation of developers.

Update:
The new brick texture management scripts are basically done! Instead of working on brick destruction and physics, I decided to focus more on core-functionality, which will help in the long run. This is useful for:
  • Making creation and importation of custom bricks much easier
  • Allowing for near-unlimited textures for bricks and the addition of prints
  • Simplifying texture orientation when rotating bricks (to make the brick grid more believable)
  • and a variety of other reasons
I'm still trying to figure out how to orientate textures relative to the stationary grid when bricks are rotated. I did get this working for ghost bricks, but it's much more complicated for bricks that are already planted.

Graphics have been given an update - textures are sharper and have more vibrance:

The floor grid generation script has been completely rewritten. Even though it's still infinite and looks exactly the same, it's much more efficient, faster and less resource intensive. Instead of using multiple objects, it works within a single object, loads instantly per frame, has dramatically increased the overall fps (to about 40-60+ when walking on the grid as a player, and about 40-170+ when flying in free cam mode) and allows the grid to be expanded even further. Eventually, it'll work for all players on the server.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:28:44 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

I'm still trying to figure out how to orientate textures relative to the stationary grid when bricks are rotated. I did get this working for ghost bricks, but it's much more complicated for bricks that are already planted.
if you're doing this for shadows, it may make more sense to use a normal map for the brick studs instead
that way it'd be a basic square texture and then the shadow would depend on the lighting

Tbh I'm surprised normal maps aren't already being used here.

I think an interesting name could be a spin off of the German word "Würfel" which translates in English to "Cube". (In reference to Lego's dutch based title)..

It's a start.

right?

if you're doing this for shadows, it may make more sense to use a normal map for the brick studs instead
that way it'd be a basic square texture and then the shadow would depend on the lighting
Tbh I'm surprised normal maps aren't already being used here.
Normal maps are being used to help represent depth, but are relative to orientation of the main brick textures. So, if a texture is misaligned to the brick grid, the normal maps will be too. I do have an idea how to incorporate this however, which I'll be working on today. =)

(Edit: I forgot that I temporarily removed normal maps due to a rendering glitch, but they should be added back in later.)

I'm also experimenting with different rendering options (i.e. one that allows you to see through multiple transparent objects - which is more expensive performance-wise, and another that is similar to Blockland's rendering - in which you can't see through mult. transparent objects, but is much better for performance). So, you'll possibly be able to switch between either one in-game.

I think an interesting name could be a spin off of the German word "Würfel" which translates in English to "Cube". (In reference to Lego's dutch based title)..

It's a start.

right?
That's actually a clever idea. =) Maybe it can be something catchy that takes part of the word and constructs a new one.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:23:16 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

(Edit: I forgot that I temporarily removed normal maps due to a rendering glitch, but they should be added back in later.)

oh no

he's already removing maps

oh no

Haha, that's not what I meant. -_-

oh no

he's only removing normal maps
we still get the weird ones