Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232285 times)

Small Update: We held our first team meeting today! Went over various topics such as the vision / direction of the game, core vs. additional features to include, maps, artstyle, what BL features we can improve upon, the brick system, etc. We did address the first initial demo release, which we hope to release publicly sometime in March (very rough estimate though). The first demo will be very basic, including a working player avatar, building, and an infinite flat plate world.

any game where you can play in 1st/3rd person legos, and have half million+ bricks without lag, is what the world needs.

so far blockland is the only thing in existence that can pull it off. beyond that, its just a modeling program and not fun.
We did talk about how the brick system will work, and have some great ideas on how to implement it / make it as efficient as possible (will be much better than what I had in mind prior).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:05:28 AM by [GSF]Ghost »

Man this stuff is looking good for the time you've put into it. Good stuff.

any game where you can play in 1st/3rd person legos, and have half million+ bricks without lag, is what the world needs.

so far blockland is the only thing in existence that can pull it off. beyond that, its just a modeling program and not fun.
We did talk about how the brick system will work, and have some great ideas on how to implement it / make it as efficient as possible (will be much better than what I had in mind prior).
Handling that many models/objects in Unity without lag is simply not possible without low level engine changes (and I assume you haven't licensed the Unity source code since it's "per-case and per-title basis via special arrangements").
If your goal is to do anything related to high efficiency rendering you NEED TO START MODIFYING AN ENGINE NOW.
Unless you find someone who really knows how to optimize the rendering, I estimate you'll cap out at 100k bricks in Unity. (even less if you add fancy effects)

I'm not sure how far along this is and all, but how feasible would SEGI (http://www.sonicether.com/segi/) be? This has potential to easily Annoying Orange blockland graphics wise (no more users having to do custom graphics mods for fancy shaders, etc), but bricks/objects appears in limbo.

Man this stuff is looking good for the time you've put into it. Good stuff.
Thanks!

Handling that many models/objects in Unity without lag is simply not possible without low level engine changes (and I assume you haven't licensed the Unity source code since it's "per-case and per-title basis via special arrangements").
If your goal is to do anything related to high efficiency rendering you NEED TO START MODIFYING AN ENGINE NOW.
Unless you find someone who really knows how to optimize the rendering, I estimate you'll cap out at 100k bricks in Unity. (even less if you add fancy effects)
We'll be using various techniques to optimize bricks, so I'm not really concerned about that at all. Also, Unity has two culling features automatically built into the engine.

I'm not sure how far along this is and all, but how feasible would SEGI (http://www.sonicether.com/segi/) be? This has potential to easily Annoying Orange blockland graphics wise (no more users having to do custom graphics mods for fancy shaders, etc), but bricks/objects appears in limbo.
I haven't heard about that before, but looks very interesting and would like to look into it more. I have done research on how to improve Unity's rendering - to make it appear more realistic, so we'll look into that as well as we progress.

Minor Update
I was able to figure out how to use octrees, and am now working on incorporating it into the brick system.

We're also currently rewriting the brick system from before, experimenting with graphics and should be finished with the temporary avatar very soon:

i feel like the normal mapping might be a bit too much, the floor becomes noisy when it's so.. 3d

i feel like the normal mapping might be a bit too much, the floor becomes noisy when it's so.. 3d
noisy? you hear the gif screaming through your PC? tell it to shut the forget up and it'll be fixed!

nah, but i like it. it gives the floor some                 d   e   p   t   h

noisy? you hear the gif screaming through your PC? tell it to shut the forget up and it'll be fixed!

nah, but i like it. it gives the floor some                 d   e   p   t   h

I agree. at the very least it should be much more subtle, and definitely optional in any case

are you talking about the extreme amounts of aniostropic artifacting?

put it on steam when its done for 20$ and give all the people that played blockland before access

That player model is repulsive.

are you talking about the extreme amounts of aniostropic artifacting?

that too, but mostly just the large amount of contrast in a small space. the studs are too "tall", imo, which makes for some really harsh shadows. maybe see how well they would work with toned down height, or just make them flat like in bl

This is still pre-alpha, so a lot of what is being shown is placeholder for now and is acting as a reference.

I'm just experimenting with graphics options, but will adjust the normal mapping and filtering. Also, the player model is a placeholder as well, and will be rescaled for the pre-alpha demo.