Poll

Update/Current Events Information

[In Use] Weather Summary in Title; NO Update or Current Events in Display
2 (40%)
Move Weather Summary to Supplemental OP; Update Prompts in Title
1 (20%)
Suggest in Discord channel.
1 (20%)
Voter is lame.  (Sorry, not sorry, Plethora)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: SURVIVE 4 — Land of Savages • [DAY 3 | Early Night | In the Squall]  (Read 30628 times)

Eetu doesn't seem to understand all of what Theric is saying but recognizes the earnest tone in your voice. "It's time that you learn our language in full," he says as they disembark. "I am glad to explain the problem to you fully."

They are shown to an upper room of the house, which serves as a sort of study. Several books sit in shelves, and several hunting trophies are mounted on the wall, from stag to wolf, from bear to squirrel. High up on the wall, nearing the eaves of the roof, there is also a simplistic drawing of an oblong shape with spikes protruding from it. It has been stabbed by spears, and a man is holding a torch next to it. It appears to be on fire. There are also other mounted weapons on the walls, from axes to spears, from sraight swords, to sickle swords to daggers.

There is a fireplace lit in the room, and Eetu shows you to a room with a table. At it is two tankards and a keg—smaller than hat as used last night, and something that Theric alone could probably drink. "Please, sit." He waits at the door and waves a servant out of the room, who promptly leaves the room and locks the door, sliding the key underneath, which Eetu picks up before walking to the table and sitting at it himself.

The tankards are empty, and Eetu dispenses his own beer from the keg first before offering to Theric.

Theric shakes his head at the offered booze, "No disrespect, but I think I'd best leave the drinking until I understand things better. Ending up drunk again may... Y'know, cause this again." There's a lopsided grin sent in Eetus direction, as a thanks, and then Theric's gaze moves across the room. His brows rise as he looks over all the weapons, especially the sickle sword- he's heard of those back where he was from, but he's never seen one. Aren't they supposed to be from the men who rule the deserts from their river-side palaces?

"You must have-- You must be a accomplished warrior and hunter, to have all these weapons and trophies." Theric corrects himself before he commits to the past tense, looking back to Eetu as he's properly settling himself into his seat now. His eyes focus onto the painting, but Theric doesn't ask any more questions. After all, he's being chewed out- and he doesn't want to seem like he's trying to ward off any punishment or explanations for any longer than he has already.

The Bolgil Woolswine doesn't seem to like Aif being there all the same and continues grunting as he backs away. After he is out of view, the beast doesn't seem to pursue, and Aif makes his way around through the forest, new bearing NWW. He climbs a particular gentle hill which leads him to a place which had been cleared for a campfire. The fire was here fairly recently. There is also various molested ground cover—It is unsure if this concerned foraging or a struggle with an animal. A single bloodstain is found on the south end of the clearing, and a light blood trail leads SSW.
Aif gives a shrill whistle, hoping to alert anyone still nearby to his presence, then does a more thorough lookaround.  Probably there will be some human's trail leading in or out.  Aif keeps ever on the watch, however, for the boar.  He figures that the trail leading SSW is probably not the boar's given the direction he came from, but isn't going to risk it quite yet.

Eetu sets the keg down, "Theric, flattery will not work, at least not now. I am angry at you for two reasons. One more than the other. Can you guess what those two reasons are?"

Yana freezes, thinking she heard something, but nonetheless waits until the water had cooled after boiling for several minutes, and drinks it. Still tastes like river water indeed, but hopefully no harm will come to her with boiled water. Finally, with much discomfort, she walks about the forest to gather pine needles off the forest floor and spread them within her wood and log teepee frame, away from the fire, then spreads the giant sailcloth over it, folded as necessary, to make a makeshift bed mat, leaving a flap to be folded over herself.

Aif neither hears a response to the whistle nor finds that the boar from earlier is charging him. Another trail, definitely human, leads ESE.

Eetu sets the keg down, "Theric, flattery will not work, at least not now. I am angry at you for two reasons. One more than the other. Can you guess what those two reasons are?"

"Flattery wasn't my intention." Assures Theric with a shrug of his shoulders and a tilt of his head. When he's asked what the reasons are for Eetu being angry, "I only have a vague idea about one." he admits, his right hand coming over to pinch the cloak he wears to show it off a bit. "And I think it has to do with this and some late night activities... And I figured that when the tenth person refused to even give me a reason to why they wouldn't tell me whose it was that it was some big deal." Theric pauses, glancing left and then right before he offers to Eetu with a pinch of humor, "I was scared that I got in a fight, honestly."

"You didn't fight anyone, but you just said both reasons at once," he says gruffly, pausing to look away at the mounts and drawings on the wall before coming back in a seething tirade, albeit staggered to explain the numerous language barriers, "As you might have been able to see, I am an elder of this family, and there are 9 elders representing this village. It is customary in our tribe that we welcome travelers, especially those in need. At the Tervetuloa Kevään and other such celebrations, this is especially true, as some would not be able to walk home. Those that bring gifts at such an event are treated as honored guests, which makes the problems we're facing so damn frustrating!"

Eetu takes a huge swig of beer.

"Another tenet of our culture is that when a woman lies with a man, especially when unwed and on the night of the Tervetuloa Kevään, she leaves her outer cloak with the man to conceal until the next night as promise that she would come again. Although after the Tulossa Talvella, or "Coming of Winter" and before the Tervetuloa Kevään, shall a woman not give up her outer cloak, she shall remain without it the entire day. I, too, had many of these such incidences in my own time."

He stands up and begins pacing,

"It wasn't your questioning of the town that told me my second daughter slept with you last night, but that she was aloof and giggly the entire day, at least until she heard about it from some friends. In our culture, it is bad luck for the recipient of the cloak to tell others of what happened, and bad luck for others to tell the receiver of the cloak who did it or what it means."

He leans on the table, "I will not punish you for what happened with my daughter, as I feel you will have to deal with her on your own, but to have a disgrace on my head and on this house IS WHAT I FIND PARTICULARLY ANNOYING!" Eetu slams his hands down on the table, causing his beer to slosh in his tankard, "I WAS LAUGHED OUT OF THE COUNCIL TODAY, THERIC. HOW DO YOU SUPPOSE YOU'LL RECTIFY THAT?!"

Douzheng immediately washes his hands in the shore swash when he notices the paludiak spores causing a reaction. He continues into the inlet.

Theric rests his arms down on his forearm. His brows dip down and his gaze grows serious- but despite Eetu's yelling and anger he keeps fairly calm... He spent most of his years around yelling guys a lot more dangerous than him. Theric's gaze wanders to the side for a moment, his right hand coming up to rub his face lazily. "I'm not used to these kind of courting rituals, so forgive me." he says, murmuring something to himself in his own tongue. You're way too loud...

"This matter seems quite delicate." Theric points out the obvious. "If I'd have known, I would have acted a lot more discretion. I apologize. I've seen cities go down for these same sort of things- and even less." Scratching his beard, Theric eyes the ceiling of the room for a second or two before he looks back down to Eetu. "So regarding your daughter, I will take responsibility for my actions." Pausing again, the foreign man brings his hands over to link together thoughtfully.

Looking back, Theric gives Eetu another serious stare. "I won't suggest what I can or can't do- simply because I don't trust that my methods would be the best approach here." There's a three second pause, and Theric's brows rise as he shrugs and admits to the elder, "I won't lie-- my people are violent. I'm not different.". Then Therics finger rises, and he juts a finger in Eetu's direction- not directly at the man, he's not sure if he'd find it rude or not. "But I know what you could do." he says, and his finger points off in the direction of the coast he came from.

"The ship I was on crashed not too far from here. There were mostly just bastards and worthless people there, but the goods were... Well, good. A nice, hefty and full barrel of goods, some pretty nice clothes... And there's probably more that I just didn't see." he says, looking at Eetu. "I don't know how the other elders are, but I'm hopeful they'd be less inclined to run their mouths against a man who brings back things for his people." Beat. "And if they do, well... I can't imagine that. In all my time, men like that haven't lived long."

Washing his hands seems to alleviate some of Douzheng's pain, but it still stings nonetheless. He makes it all the way to the mouth of the inlet. Looking up into it, he realizes that the water is flowing out to sea; he's arrived at the estuary. On the same side of this bay, there's a town, it's Torchlight clearly visible to him.

The anger in Eetu's face appears to drain as Theric accepts responsibility for the former matter. And he nods as the acknowledgement passes Theric's lips. Nevertheless, he remains calm throughout the explanation.

"So... What you're saying is that the entire ship and it's remains are mine to keep?"

The sounds of footsteps approach Väinö as do the torches that usually are carried by men. The fog has lifted and a small hunting party has come from the east. They reach you and keep their weapons down, but at the ready. They attempt to talk to you but you don't know their language.

"[unknown]. . ." "[unknown]?"
"[unknown] Mirisham [/I][unknown][/I]. . .?"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:00:13 PM by SWAT One »

The anger in Eetu's face appears to drain as Theric accepts responsibility for the former matter. And he nods as the acknowledgement passes Theric's lips. Nevertheless, he remains calm throughout the explanation.

"So... What you're saying is that the entire ship and it's remains are mine to keep?"

"Well I certainly don't have anywhere to put it. But-- I did talk to a young man who said there were others besides your people, so maybe some others may have poked around there." Theric offers Eetu a shrug, "I don't know. I washed my hands of that crash when I arrived here. Now I'm just looking for something I lost."

Theric pauses, and then he asks, "Can you tell me about this land? Are there any maps, what other civilizations are there here?"

Douzheng moves slightly deeper into the treeline as he advances toward the town. He moves carefully and deliberately, consciously avoiding making himself more visible than necessary.

Eetu's face brightens up somewhat, "Where was it?" he asks of Theric, inquisitively, "Might there be more ships?" He seems to ignore the statement about what Theric had lost.

"Maps... maps . . .  " Eetu begins to pace around and saunters over to his bookcases, and navigates to a rack of scroll, looking at the wooden end caps of the scrolls, using an index finger to mark where he is. He is muttering something to himself while browsing the modest library.

Douzheng is able to navigate undetected into some bushes overlooking the courtyard of some back house. There are three servants outside speaking some foreign language. They seem to be sizing each other up. As it seems to make a non-confrontational climax, the middle one reaches inside a side pouch and withdraws three shaped stones. They then chant three words or numbers before the holder casts them on the ground. The shaped stones roll and settle, two of them with dark side up and one with light side up. The holder looks quite disappointed while the other two cheer.

Yana, seeing that the sun has set, settles down for the night, placing more logs in the fire and folding up in her sail-blanket.

Aif decides to follow the human trail heading ESE.  Hopefully it doesn't lead to hungry cannibals.

Aif follows the trail down and finds a patch of herbaceous plants, wait—Aif looks at an area where a section of these had been torn out of the ground—Potatoes.

He continues to follow the path downward and spots the frame of an elliptical cone-shaped structure with a fire in its midst, sort of like a tent. Something stirs within as he looks from the brush.

Yana, hearing rustling in he underbrush nearby, props her head up to see if she can hear where the sound is coming from. It better not be him, oh, God, let it not be him! She adjusts her footing the best she can so she can stand at any moment. Finally, she clutches the handle of her knife as if it were her on life.

Douzheng continues to spectate the servants.

The middle servant that Douzheng is observing picks up his stones and stuffs them back into his pouch. The three leave to enter the back of a larger house, still talking. Muffled voices can be heard in the house and on the street downhill. No one is looking in this direction for now.