Poll

Update/Current Events Information

[In Use] Weather Summary in Title; NO Update or Current Events in Display
2 (40%)
Move Weather Summary to Supplemental OP; Update Prompts in Title
1 (20%)
Suggest in Discord channel.
1 (20%)
Voter is lame.  (Sorry, not sorry, Plethora)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: SURVIVE 4 — Land of Savages • [DAY 3 | Early Night | In the Squall]  (Read 29703 times)

Tuusan responds to Theric, "Y-yes. Many of the [unknown] have been [unknown]. Some of the elders also [unknown] for matters of the Akkeman."

"Gee, [unknown], I don't know where you're from, but just stay away from Aanu. I need to be back soon." The man's yelling nearly puts Tuusan in a panic, "I'm sorry, you'll need to ask [/i][unknown][/i] else." Despite his hurried manner, he still accepts the handshake and leads the khaliyuna back to the stable.

He heads across town. Most of the townspeople are working and have moved on since earlier in the afternoon. He passes the large building at the center of town where the guards were posted before. A cart drawn by a khaliyuna is briskly heading in his direction. Sitting in the passenger seat is Eetu, the elder of the house he had stayed in last night. Eetu's focus turns to you and he yells, angrily, "Theerriiiic!". The guards don't seem to react. They have their spears ready, but they seem more to be stifling a laugh.

Theric sighs, still not being able to understand a thing he said. When he mentioned asking something else, Theric just assumes he meant someone else. Hopefully. But he can't be totally sure.

But he lets Tuusan go off and do what he needs to. When he headed into town, he gave a look at the cart and moved out of its way a bit. He saw the elder in the passenger seat and he's getting a bit upbeat as he's beginning to walk over- but he stops raising his hand for a wave halfway as the yell comes out. Theric winces a bit, the sound seeming grating on his ears as his hand comes to rub the back of his neck.

Two thoughts run through Theric's head, one after the other. "I think I know whose cloak this is now... And he had really better stop yelling."

Clearing his throat, Theric puts on a forced smile, his arms outstretched as he approaches the elder- not for a hug, but to show no ill intent. "Eetu!" He says, with somewhat worried friendliness. "What's the matter, friend? I was just coming to see you- I think I know the location of some things you'd like!"

Douzheng undoes his makeshift rucksack, folds the material, and reconstructs the bag, making it smaller - but more structurally intact.

He decides to abandon his grand stick as well, but he keeps the bag of rocks that he'd fastened onto it. Douzheng removes the dissolved bread sludge from the inside of the pouch, and fills it with berries of varying ripeness from the bush. He squishes one onto the back of his hand, and then continues further inland. He keeps his eyes open for edible vegetation in the ground as well.

Eetu responds in a loud and serious tone, "Theric you are not my friend right now, and we need to talk." The villagers around look on worriedly. The guards at the entrance seem to have exchanged their stifled chuckles for a look of curious vigilance. They have their spears a little closer to them than before, but still remain where they are. Eetu reiterates, seeing that Theric is taken aback and distracted by his surroundings, "I mean no harm to you. Please come with me."

Douzheng's rucksack is much more sturdily-built now.

His hand doesn't react to the berry.

The berries he puts in the bag are mostly small and green, far from ripe, but others are either partially ripe or rarely fully ripe. Douzheng finds some soft leafy greens amidst the underbrush and ferns (Bolviadt Shrub) as he crests the hill. He can see the other side, the land ending to the south and curving back up northward again. There is another wrecked boat maybe a mile WNW. To the NNE are.... sailing ships.... Small shallow-water sailing ships move about the water's surface in various directions, some static, some coming from and some going toward an inlet which Douzheng cannot see.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:40:02 PM by SWAT One »

Douzheng decides to make his way towards the rough area of the inlet, though with stopping at the shipwreck in mind. He walks just within the treeline.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:49:33 PM by Juncoph »

Eetu responds in a loud and serious tone, "Theric you are not my friend right now, and we need to talk." The villagers around look on worriedly. The guards at the entrance seem to have exchanged their stifled chuckles for a look of curious vigilance. They have their spears a little closer to them than before, but still remain where they are. Eetu reiterates, seeing that Theric is taken aback and distracted by his surroundings, "I mean no harm to you. Please come with me."

Theric rubs his hands together worriedly. "I see. This is odd- in my place, men can still be friends when they're serious." Theric gauges the crowd, blinking at everyone before he looks back to Eetu, "I can talk, of course. It is why I was looking for you as well."

Although cautious, Theric opts to follow Eetu all the same.

Väinö then answers Mirisham, "I arrived here a day ago, I dont remember what exactly happened but, me and my crewmates were shipwrecked."

Väinö decides to look if he still has anything he already had, then decides to admire the structure, a work of architecture.

Douzheng treks down the hill and walks along the shore within the treeline, making it to the beach where the ship had been wrecked. Human bodies had been picked clean by carrion-eating birds. The whole area reeks. Bones and pieces of them are scattered along the shore. Flies swarm the area, picking whatever the birds left behind.

However there is also a small, heavy barrel made by a skilled cooper, unopened and dry, and a chest, which is unlatched, but the lid is closed. There are two sets of footprints that lead off inland toward the mainland.

Theric boards the cart, and the driver whips the reins, prompting the khaliyuna standing at the front to begin walking and to pull the cart forward. Eetu sighs, and after a moment, he speaks rather calmly, looking forward, "You know I can have you killed for something like this. . . but I won't. . ." He turns to face him, "You are an [unknown]. You didn't know. . ." The carriage rides along all the same toward the house up on the ridge. "We'll talk in detail when we arrive back." They arrive back at the house and the cart stops out front. The servants are walking about, doing their various tasks. The sun sinks lower in the sky.

Väinö finds nothing of his old possessions on him but the clothes that he had worn before. This time not soiled. "You had died, Väinö, but now isn't the time to mill about. You have three choices, boy. You may depart through the gate now while the sun is in the sky, and find yourself back on the land on which you arrived this morning. You may find yourself in a state of danger, should you choose the gate at day." He pauses, "You may step into the pool opposite the gate," Mirisham motions to the fountain at the other end of the hall, with crystalline water flowing from spouts and raining into the pool below, "and pass on from this world." He pauses, "Or, though I do not advise it, you may take all the time you want and find yourself in certain danger and face death once more, from which I will not be able to rescue you." His hands fold around his waist, in front of him, as he holds his staff in the crook of his arm.

Yana finishes her task of digging the moat and begins to gather wooden branches and logs that aren't rotten to make a makeshift teepee, setting them up by leaning them against one another on opposing sides. Using her knife, she hacks into some of the recently-fallen branches at an angle, then peels back the thin bark along with the cambium to create primitive lashings, which she then uses to tie the logs and branches together. Finally, feeling dizzy, she realizes that she had hardly any water today, she headed back to the river with one of her flatter stones, and gathered hat clay she could from the banks, and headed back to her camp to make a small pot. I know there were vessels aboard that boat. Had I looked further, I might've had something to drink.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:33:19 PM by SWAT One »

Douzheng shakes the barrel slightly so that he may determine whether its contents are solid or liquid. He then inspects the contents of the chest.

Douzheng determines based on the sound that the contents are large grains. No liquid seems to be inside.

The chest contains an ornate leather-bound book written in—Romano-Hellenic. In this land?. A † shape is pressed into its cover.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:01:03 PM by SWAT One »

Väinö, confused and awe'd about the situation, step torwards the gate, and opens it. Before stepping though, he waves the man goodbye, and goes through the gate.

Mirisham smiles back and the gates close behind Väinö. He turns around finds himself in a foggy forest in the late afternoon. Nightfall will undoubtedly come soon, and a cold night it will be. He best be resourceful. He turns back around to look into the sanctuary and finds it is no longer there, simply replaced by more forest. The fog begins to lift. Shouting can be heard to the NW.

Douzheng determines based on the sound that the contents are large grains. No liquid seems to be inside.

The chest contains an ornate leather-bound book written in—Romano-Hellenic. In this land?. A † shape is pressed into its cover.

Douzheng uses his chisel to pop off the barrel's lid. He fills his rucksack with its contents, and he also takes the book. He then continues his trip toward the inlet.

Väinö, scared by the noise, tries to avoid it. He walks to the shipwreck, and takes the shirts off the corpses, then lays it on the beach as a form of thin mattress.

He puts the toppled wood in a pile before heading out torwards the NW, seeing if he could help the person yelling.

Theric boards the cart, and the driver whips the reins, prompting the khaliyuna standing at the front to begin walking and to pull the cart forward. Eetu sighs, and after a moment, he speaks rather calmly, looking forward, "You know I can have you killed for something like this. . . but I won't. . ." He turns to face him, "You are an [unknown]. You didn't know. . ." The carriage rides along all the same toward the house up on the ridge. "We'll talk in detail when we arrive back." They arrive back at the house and the cart stops out front. The servants are walking about, doing their various tasks. The sun sinks lower in the sky.

"You're right. I really don't know." Says Theric with a frown, his teeth gritting as he lets his frustration show. Theric is mostly quiet for the ride, glancing around somewhat anxiously. "I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but..." He looks back at Eetu, shrugging, "I honestly don't know what I did last night. I remember drinking, talking... And that's it." Theric looks over his shoulder as the carriage is pulled along, his gaze peering around. "It doesn't help I can barely understand what you're all saying.". There's a brief moment of amusement at that last sentence, but he wipes it away quickly as the situation sinks in a little more.

When the cart comes out in front of the house, he peers at the building they're coming up to with glances all around. "Right... No pressure." he murmurs to himself in his regular tongue.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:41:31 PM by grunterdb1951 »

Douzheng manages to pop off the barrel's lid, but not without bending his chisel enough to be noticeable. The barrel is full of unroasted, whole wheat grains. He manages to fit around 10 lbs. of grain in his bag. Little room is left in it. The remaining weight of the barrel is around 250 lbs.

His travels take him along the coast, over a pesky rock formation, and eventually to the mouth of the bay. He gathers many of the berries of all three varieties and stores them away. He also gathers the mushrooms of both known varieties. Upon picking the paludiak mushroom, however, his skin becomes irritated by the dust they deposit on his hands. He finds out that they can be identified by some droopy caps and white shelves underneath.

Eventually, he makes it to the mouth of the inlet, but all the boats have gone back into the inlet by this time in the evening.

Vaino finds he as no longer at the shipwreck. There were no corpses where he was and no garments to gather from him. No wood blanks from the ship on which he had arrived. He is in an unfamiliar section of forest surrounded by fog. The fog begins to lift and dissipate. The voices grow closer; they're shouting in some foreign language. Either it was the slight glow of their torches or the late afternoon's sunlight that caused the fog to shift into a golden color, but nonetheless, it began to flicker.

Eetu doesn't seem to understand all of what Theric is saying but recognizes the earnest tone in your voice. "It's time that you learn our language in full," he says as they disembark. "I am glad to explain the problem to you fully."

They are shown to an upper room of the house, which serves as a sort of study. Several books sit in shelves, and several hunting trophies are mounted on the wall, from stag to wolf, from bear to squirrel. High up on the wall, nearing the eaves of the roof, there is also a simplistic drawing of an oblong shape with spikes protruding from it. It has been stabbed by spears, and a man is holding a torch next to it. It appears to be on fire. There are also other mounted weapons on the walls, from axes to spears, from sraight swords, to sickle swords to daggers.

There is a fireplace lit in the room, and Eetu shows you to a room with a table. At it is two tankards and a keg—smaller than hat as used last night, and something that Theric alone could probably drink. "Please, sit." He waits at the door and waves a servant out of the room, who promptly leaves the room and locks the door, sliding the key underneath, which Eetu picks up before walking to the table and sitting at it himself.

The tankards are empty, and Eetu dispenses his own beer from the keg first before offering to Theric.

Yana forms the clay pot in her hands carefully, making sure to leave no crevice or nick, before placing it in the fire to bake. The pot rests in the coals for a while, and she keeps herself warm, occasionally checking the pot by tapping its side with a stick. Once it had hardened, she fishes it out and waits for it to cool substantially before heading back down to the river to scoop up water and boil it in the fire.