Poll

Update/Current Events Information

[In Use] Weather Summary in Title; NO Update or Current Events in Display
2 (40%)
Move Weather Summary to Supplemental OP; Update Prompts in Title
1 (20%)
Suggest in Discord channel.
1 (20%)
Voter is lame.  (Sorry, not sorry, Plethora)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: SURVIVE 4 — Land of Savages • [DAY 3 | Early Night | In the Squall]  (Read 29708 times)

Aif nods silently and heads out in the direction of the stream.

Douzheng decides to let the boys have their fun. He exaggerates his mannerisms whenever he notices the two looking at him as he eats. He fights off a growing smirk from seeing the girl's worsening fremdscham.

Väinö, enthused by what they are saying, goes with the people beckoning him.

Yana watches Aif head off for a moment before returning to survey the hut. In a wet climate like this, mud walls will do me no good... She checks the lashing holding the hut frame together and promptly goes out and begins to gather up various branches, particularly ones with needles on them. After checking which way the land-bound wind blows, she stacks the on the hut's wall facing the wind's source, affixing them however possible. She eyes the rope and measures it out. Only 25 meters, tops. Not knowing if any length of this rope would come to be more useful, she cuts off lengths, and unwinds them to tie the more troublesome branches to the frame. After some time, her hands become so covered in sap and dirt that it begins sticking to the rope. She grab the clay pot she made and heads in the direction of the stream.

Aif, at the stream, finds some fish in the river—a large, slimy, bottom-dwelling fish with dark brown scales on its dorsal and lateral sides, and silver-white scales on its ventral side, and a large, freshwater fish which with grey-blue dorsal scales, and a spotted gradient to platinum-white on its ventral side. The latter has a strange mouth shape.

In looking for anything to spear them with, there are some straight or semi-straight fallen tree limbs nearby that could be hewn down. There are also plenty of rocks of various sizes, should he prefer simply bashing them to death.

The boys go nuts as Douzheng exaggerates his motions. The girl, at first more annoyed, glances over to see Douzheng's motions and simply sighs, seeming to let it go before folding her arms on the table and burying her face in them.

An elderly man comes down from upstairs and scolds the boys with a flurry of dramatic motions, presumably for making a racket, "[unknown . . .] Zaluk [. . .unknown]." The boys seem to sober up from their laughter real quick.

Väinö, enthused by what they are saying, goes with the people beckoning him.
(Väinö isn't being brought peaceably.)

They carry Väinö into a larger wood and stone building in the center of town and set him down in a chair. The room is dark, but lit somewhat by the light of the morning coming in through the windows up high and some torches around the room. At the back wall, there is a panel of 3 men sitting facing him at tables. The one in the center is elevated higher than the others, wears many animal skins, a hat with a prominent feather side-plume, and is adorned with some gold jewelry. They all look stern.

The room's walls are lined with at least a dozen guards and soldiers.

Ikhannuk huffs at Theric's remark and goes back to eating.

Eetu speaks up, "Yes, Vanadi is going as well. I think there will be. . ." Eetu's gaze drifts to Ikhannuk. "Twenty, sir." Ikhannuk responds in a deep, bellowing voice before returning to take another bite.

Theric gives a slow nod to Eetu, though he can't help but wrinkle up the corner of his lip a bit as he hears Ikhannuks huff. When he hears how many men there's going to be, Theric nods again. "That should be plenty to get everything back here, then." he says before he eats a bit more.

Staring with appraising eyes, Theric looks over Vanadi with a somewhat unimpressed gaze but then he asks, "What other nearby groups are there that could possibly happen upon the site we'll be searching? And what are the chances of them being there before we arrive?"

Vanadi is caught off-guard as Theric asks him a question after a strange gaze. "There shouldn't be. At least, I don't think the Nilkami were going to bring anything to trade. When did you land?" Eetu speaks in spite of his son. Theric notices that the eldest son, quite tall, had been paying close attention to the conversation. "Why would there be?" Ikhannuk asks, turning his head and the top part of his torso toward Theric.

Everyone except Theric had finished their meals.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 02:50:39 PM by SWAT One »

Aif, having become quite adept at spearing fish in his youth decides to take that route, but first kneels at the stream's edge and uses his hands as a cup and takes a good drink.  The cool water refreshes him, but makes him more hungry.

Aif also takes this opportunity to bathe, as the salt and sand from his tumble in the ocean paired with his long trek have chafed him and bathed him in uncomfortable sweat.

Douzheng returns to realistic etiquette after he loses his young audience. He postures attentiveness toward the man who scolded them.

Vanadi is caught off-guard as Theric asks him a question after a strange gaze. "There shouldn't be. At least, I don't think the Nilkami were going to bring anything to trade. When did you land?" Eetu speaks in spite of his son. Theric notices that the eldest son, quite tall, had been paying close attention to the conversation. "Why would there be?" Ikhannuk asks, turning his head and the top part of his torso toward Theric.

Everyone except Theric had finished their meals.

"That day, when I arrived during the festival. That's when I woke at the crash site." Theric is just beginning to finish his meal now, but when Ihkannuk asks Theric looks up at him with a shrug. "I'm just wondering. I don't think there's any reason for there to be people there, but if there's a chance of it I think it's good to consider. I've seen lots of men who would have become as rich as kings if it weren't for them assuming everything would go as they planned." There's a sniffle, then he adds. "You get used to ambushes where I'm from, and you get used to trying to avoid or prepare for them."

Finally having finished up his breakfast, Theric looks over at the tallest son. He stares at him for another second before he asks, "Does this one want to go too?"

Maybe, just maybe, they would understand my language.

Väinö, in attempt to communicate with these savage-like people, says "What are you trying to do?", before examining the situation around him.

Yana arrives, just as Aif is wading into the water. Unable to control her shock, she lets out an arrested yelp before abruptly dipping behind a bush. Seemingly beside herself for a second, she remains shaking and tries to keep her breathing low. I just need to wash my hands. Now what did I do?! Now he'll get the wrong message. Aahh what do I do?! Finally, she manages to escape the thoughts that kept her captive and frantically looks around to try and find an escape route through the bushes.

The man's gaze drifts slowly from the youths whose laughs had stopped abruptly, to Douzheng who sits in the chair, back turned to the man except from his torso and head turned to face him. He seems to stare at Douzheng in silence, but then breathes in then out through his nose, pointing a single index finger at Douzheng in specific, uttering some unknown angry phrase and turns to head back upstairs. Fortunately, Douzheng had almost finished his meal.

Eetu nods, and Ikhannuk listens intently, eyes seeming to stare through Theric's head, his face relaxing more as Theric goes on, uttering only a relaxed grunt with a rush of air from his nostrils through his thick black mustache. He takes a final sip from his goblet and addresses Theric, "We leave in ten minutes", and stands up at a whole head shoulders above Theric, and making a short and silent bow to Eetu, who returns with a nod. Ikhannuk turns to display a long sword at his waist, and leaves through the front door, ducking under its threshold to get through.

The seated men look at on another, confused, the one on the left almost in annoyed disbelief. The one on the right addresses Väinö, "[unknown. . .]?" The room falls silent all except for the torch flames licking the air, the faint murmuring of the guards, soldiers and civilians looking on, and the breeze blowing in through the windows.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:58:36 AM by SWAT One »

Aif is surprised by Yana's scream and jumps a bit, but is unable to turn around in time to catch sight of her.  Not knowing who or what gave the yelp, he attempts to get good footing, but the smooth rocks of the stream bed leave him with poor leverage if whatever it is should jump on him.  Aif slowly crouches down and grabs a fist sized rock from the stream bed, never letting his eyes leave the stream bank.  Aif calls out, "Who goes there?  Friend or foe?" in proto-Germanic, then proto-Celtic.  Drei help me if it's Yana.

Eetu nods, and Ikhannuk listens intently, eyes seeming to stare through Theric's head, his face relaxing more as Theric goes on, uttering only a relaxed grunt with a rush of air from his nostrils through his thick black mustache. He takes a final sip from his goblet and addresses Theric, "We leave in ten minutes", and stands up at a whole head shoulders above Theric, and making a short and silent bow to Eetu, who returns with a nod. Ikhannuk turns to display a long sword at his waist, and leaves through the front door, ducking under its threshold to get through.

Theric stares back at Ikhannuk- his expression as though the larger mans gaze is only serving to make the foreigner tired again. When he gets the notice of when they're leaving, Theric gives a nod to the large man. "I'll hurry, then." And with that, Theric does in fact hurry- he finishes off his food and drink in the next few minutes before he swallows and grunts.

That one seems like trouble. Theric's thoughts wander as he briefly begins to brew up a plan to deal with what he imagines an angry Ikhannuk would look like. Theric pats himself over just to make sure he has all his gear, and then once he's content he looks back to Eetu, "When we get back, I'd appreciate getting a look at those maps I mentioned before."

Yana freezes in place, not knowing what to do. After the greater part of a minute, she turns around with hands up in the air, facing away from Aif. "Friend.. ." she says uneasily, "I had come to wash my hands from the pine pitch and filth from making the hut." She turns her palms around, hoping that Aif would be able to notice, "I dod not know you– you were. . . " Yana seems to be unable to complete her sentence. She looks at the ground in shame, near tears. God have mercy on me, I beg of thee!

"Yes, I will have it by the time I return from the assembly today," Eetu responds to Theric, standing up as a female servant takes his dishes. "Safe travels."

Theric bids the men farewell and heads outside. A soldier is waiting outside, "Theric, please come with me. The boat leaves soon."

Aif, beet red, manages to mostly keep the embarrassment out of his voice, "Drei help us both.  If you come back in a bit or do your business upstream it'll be more, er, comfortable, for us both."  Aif lets the stone drop back into the stream bed and drops down to be more discreet.