Poll

Update/Current Events Information

[In Use] Weather Summary in Title; NO Update or Current Events in Display
2 (40%)
Move Weather Summary to Supplemental OP; Update Prompts in Title
1 (20%)
Suggest in Discord channel.
1 (20%)
Voter is lame.  (Sorry, not sorry, Plethora)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: SURVIVE 4 — Land of Savages • [DAY 3 | Early Night | In the Squall]  (Read 30695 times)

Aif signals his assent with a nod.  "I passed by a somewhat territorial boar on my way here.  We might do well to fence off a larger area around the hut even."  Aif thinks of the baileys used to protect homesteads back in his homeland, but is hesitant to bring such a permanent structure up, as he still harbors hopes of setting sail, if someone able can be found to assist him.

Douzheng explains to Zaluk the status of the empire when he'd last lived in it. He finishes his address with a twist, though, stating: "However- I come from lands far east of the empire. I escaped a raid on my village as a child, and met a merchant who then employed me out of pity. My travels with that man took me far west. The last I saw of him was aboard the ship now marooned upon this isle's shore."

Ikhannuk's brows sink low and his lips press together, "You asked about anyone around here on this island, to which Lord Eetu said that no one should be due to come by here. A Nilkami fisherman? Trading vessel? Everyone on this island knows to stay away from the dead." Ikhannuk motions behind him, where a few warriors are piling up the remaining bodies, some of them looking very visibly squeamish, others carrying out their task with solemn indignation as the flies escape the abandoned frames of the men ho lay here two days ago. "Someone on foot, I'd reckon. Luatu, how many tracks?"

The soldier who had been surveying the footprints stands up straight and makes a short bow to Ikhannuk. "Three, maybe four, sir. Vanati and Igrikam have gone up the crest of the cape to see where one track might lead."

"Thank you, Luatu. Continue your search." Luatu bows again before doing as ordered.

A cold wind whips the men on the beach. The clouds on the horizon grow darker.

Attn.: Theric

Yana's eyes narrowed as she surveys. "Yes, that must be his territory. I gave it a cut in the snout before it ran off into the woods. But I'm not sure we have time to surround the entire area now. Even so, we'd have to cut down these trees or walk for long distances to get fallen and rotted wood."

Adtnl.Attn.: Aif

Zaluk seems entranced with the story and listens intently, eyes still aglow much like a child enchanted by a chronicler's stories. A Douzheng recounts his further origins, Zaluk seems to get disinterested and seems to gloss over it, "Where had you been marooned? Had any others made it?"

"There was a woman who'd been aboard with her husband, the two of them having paid a fee to be ferried. I covered her body, but I found no one else. I fear that some of that ship's less agreeable crew may have survived."

Dasha

Culture of Origin:  Cossack
Language(s):  Proto-Slavic
love:  Female

Physical Description: Thin and short. Fair skin. That's about it
Trade: Tailor

If someone else decides to join in the next say three days, then have me come in with them (if they agree). Otherwise just toss me on shore fam.

Sup bro?

"Just the potatoes for now then, unless you have an ax kicking around out of sight."  Aif walks off to gather some branches to start fencing them in; much of the most convenient wood in the area has already been used in the hut or the fire, but Aif manages to come back with a decent haul of fairly sturdy branches.

Ikhannuk's brows sink low and his lips press together, "You asked about anyone around here on this island, to which Lord Eetu said that no one should be due to come by here. A Nilkami fisherman? Trading vessel? Everyone on this island knows to stay away from the dead." Ikhannuk motions behind him, where a few warriors are piling up the remaining bodies, some of them looking very visibly squeamish, others carrying out their task with solemn indignation as the flies escape the abandoned frames of the men ho lay here two days ago. "Someone on foot, I'd reckon. Luatu, how many tracks?"

The soldier who had been surveying the footprints stands up straight and makes a short bow to Ikhannuk. "Three, maybe four, sir. Vanati and Igrikam have gone up the crest of the cape to see where one track might lead."

"Thank you, Luatu. Continue your search." Luatu bows again before doing as ordered.

A cold wind whips the men on the beach. The clouds on the horizon grow darker.

Attn.: Theric

Therics brows furrow a bit as he shrugs at Ikhannuk, "Island?" he asks for confirmation, looking around with pursed lips. "I'm on an island, then..." Gritting his teeth back and forth, he lets out a slow sigh before he looks back to the large man. "There shouldn't have been any more from my ship." he specifies, "I could only assume that if anyone pilfered this place, it would be the natives here. You say all these things like I'm supposed to know."

Theric looks over at Luatu, as his name is mentioned, and takes note of the other names as they're passed around.

"How often do other ships crash?" Theric as Ikhannuk, looking up at him.

Zaluk's gaze seems to focus intently on Douzheng's face, "Where do you have to go?"

Yana shakes her head. "No axe. Only a knife."

Yana also comes back with a haul in time, setting them on top of Aif's pile, before she starts to use the knife to hack away any of the greens and tossing them in a pile to be thrown on top the hut for more covering or perhaps for bedding.

"Yes, island. Our people left Demoaya four centuries ago." Ikhannuk says, gazing down at Theric. "And not often."

Luatu continues down the path, pointing with one finger up the beachhead before doubling back, glancing thrice to the path he had outlined before, marking his spot, then eying the tree line, before walking briskly back to Ikhannuk.

Most of the other men had loaded armor onto the ship and had piled up the skeletons and bone pieces in a particular pile. They are currently struggling with the grain barrel.

"After the storm passes, you will be free to go on your course." Ikhannuk says to Theric before walking away towards the ship. "Galaskaar..." Seconds later, the helmsman peeps his head over the side of the deck. "Yes, sir?"
"How much longer do we have."
"About one hour 'til the storm hits. Twenty minutes if we want to make it back in one piece."
Ikhannuk furrows his brows and thinks for a moment. "If we're not back by then, leave without us. Thank you, Galaskaar. LUATU! Come with me!" he begins briskly walking toward the treeline where Vanati had left, "Haardal, come.", motioning for one other soldier who had been idling, making jokes with two other soldiers that seem uninterested and bashful at Haardal's jests.

Dasha
Accepted.

If anyone joins soon, before I post of Dasha's landing, they have the option of landing with Dasha.

Zaluk's gaze seems to focus intently on Douzheng's face, "Where do you have to go?"

Douzheng meets Zaluk's gaze with a minor shrug.
"With the demise of the ship, I don't believe I have a place to go, per se. The climate of this island makes me assume we're rather far from the mainland, yes?"

"We have no idea." Zaluk admits to Douzheng, leaning back in his chair. "The wind and the waves have prevented us from sending so much as an envoy to the mainland. After a while, we just gave up..."

Zaluk seems to trail off, looking visibly tired. Zven glances over to Douzheng and then back to Zaluk, addressing him suddenly and rather loudly in the native language which Douzheng cannot understand.

Zaluk awakes with a start and nods, "Yes, yes, please. [unknown...]" His hand coming up and running over his face, blinking several times before yawning. Zven gets up and leaves the room.

"What do you want to do here? I'm afraid that, as is custom in our land, you must earn your keep in whichever place you stay. I know that you may not be able to speak the language of my people, but I can offer you a job, if you will take it, and a place to stay, or, I can send you away with three days' supplies after the weather improves."

"Yes, island. Our people left Demoaya four centuries ago." Ikhannuk says, gazing down at Theric. "And not often."

Luatu continues down the path, pointing with one finger up the beachhead before doubling back, glancing thrice to the path he had outlined before, marking his spot, then eying the tree line, before walking briskly back to Ikhannuk.

Most of the other men had loaded armor onto the ship and had piled up the skeletons and bone pieces in a particular pile. They are currently struggling with the grain barrel.

"After the storm passes, you will be free to go on your course." Ikhannuk says to Theric before walking away towards the ship. "Galaskaar..." Seconds later, the helmsman peeps his head over the side of the deck. "Yes, sir?"
"How much longer do we have."
"About one hour 'til the storm hits. Twenty minutes if we want to make it back in one piece."
Ikhannuk furrows his brows and thinks for a moment. "If we're not back by then, leave without us. Thank you, Galaskaar. LUATU! Come with me!" he begins briskly walking toward the treeline where Vanati had left, "Haardal, come.", motioning for one other soldier who had been idling, making jokes with two other soldiers that seem uninterested and bashful at Haardal's jests.

"Four centuries..." Theric murmurs under his breath, his gaze falling downwards as he mulls over just how much time that is. "How large is this island?" He asks, and then nods at Ikhannuks answer to the question of shipwrecks. "Well, it's either locals- or another crash, then. Or maybe some of the ship grew legs and walked off."

Frowning slightly, Theric looks back over to Luatu as he watches him work. Then as Ikhannuk addresses him, Theric looks up at him and nods. "Right, though truth is I'm not sure what my course is now." Looking around, Theric lets out a slow sigh, "Crashing here has jumbled up all my plans... Guess I'll just have to find my slave, and I'll figure it out from there."

Theric looks over to the two men have trouble with the barrel, and with a tilt of his head and a huff of hot air from his nose he heads over to quickly give them a hand.

When Ikhannuk steps off towards the ship, Theric watches and takes a moment to listen to the new names. His gaze drifts from one to the other before he eventually begins to follow after the men wordlessly- his spear in one hand and resting against his shoulder- tip to the sky.

Aif begins hammering the stripped wood into the ground around the potato patch with a convenient rock.  By the time enough posts have been driven in fairly deep, Aif is fairly winded, this being a new exercise.  Despite his fatigue, he tests each post to ensure that it can hold weight and hammers further those found wanting.  Aif then excuses himself to get some water from the creek, offering to fill what containers he can while he's there.

Theric helps the two men with the barrel and gets it up on deck. They thank him.

Galaskaar looks visibly upset and yells back to them, "Don't do anything rash!" Ikhannuk motions with his right hand over his shoulder to acknowledge. Ikhannuk, seeing Theric is following them, turns to him, "Theric, where are you going? Your job is done here."

Yana helps Aif after she finishes baring the limbs, and moves the wood that had either been recently cut or is damp closer, and the dry wood into the hut for fuel.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:15:14 PM by SWAT One »

Theric helps the two men with the barrel and gets it up on deck. They thank him.

Galaskaar looks visibly upset and yells back to them, "Don't do anything rash!" Ikhannuk motions with his right hand over his shoulder to acknowledge. Ikhannuk, seeing Theric is following them, turns to him, "Theric, where are you going? Your job is done here."

"Sure- but there's something that's rubbing me wrong about this whole situation." Theric admits, glancing over all the men before he looks back to Ikhannuk. "And for that matter, I'll feel a bit of guilt if you guys go out there and do run in to trouble and I only walked away."

Shrugging, Theric looks between all the men and then he looks back over them all. "The more the merrier... You guys know that saying, right?"

Ikhannuk's eyes narrow. "Very well." Ikhannuk moves out of the way for Theric to walk ahead.