Poll

Update/Current Events Information

[In Use] Weather Summary in Title; NO Update or Current Events in Display
2 (40%)
Move Weather Summary to Supplemental OP; Update Prompts in Title
1 (20%)
Suggest in Discord channel.
1 (20%)
Voter is lame.  (Sorry, not sorry, Plethora)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: SURVIVE 4 — Land of Savages • [DAY 3 | Early Night | In the Squall]  (Read 30644 times)

Ikhannuk inhales, replying to Theric, "Demotaya is a name of a land that our people had left behind them when they left the Old Land over four centuries ago. But otherworldly? I wouldn't say that's too far off, to be honest. The Bogudani are worshippers of a demon that inhabits this island. Our old religions of the Old Land talked about demons, gods, witches and the like, but we left all those mere rumors behind when we found out the truth of this land."

"Ah, here we are," He inhales again, deeper this time after a small gust of cold wind hits Theric and himself. He shouts to the crew, which had begun securing the boat down, folding up the sails. "Make haste, men! There will be a storm tonight." He addresses the Helmsman, "Keep watch of the boat and the sky."

"Well, Theric, come with me." Ikhannuk begins walking toward the starboard bow, where some men had already begun to jump off into the cold waist-high water and had begun wading ashore.

Zaluk's eyes widen at Douzhng "You come from Trusium?" Zaluk and Zven look at each other briefly. "What was your purpose for sailing to Nondilum?"

Sorry to spring all these names on you. I can send you the list of defined geographic names if needed.

Yana finishes the fish and sets them aside. She begins boiling the potatoes. After about 10 minutes of them boiling, she puts the clay pot in the coals of the fire and puts the fish-stone on over the fire, propped up at its corners by other, smaller stones. In the mean time, she bares a stick with her knife and hardens it over the fire by charring it slightly while Aif works more on the hut. As the fish finish, she pokes the stick into one of the potatoes and lifts it. The potato remains on the stick and she shakes it off back into the water. The hut is almost done.

"Fish is done. Potatoes will need longer."

Douzheng, though maintaining his calm, amiable demeanor, eyes Zaluk warily.

"I must first know your views on Trusium."

Zaluk looks back at Douzheng strangely. "Though Trusia was a great and mighty empire since the time we've known it, we've been apart from Demotaya for over four centuries."

Aif at this point has the bulk of the remaining work on the hut complete.  While putting on some of the last bits asks, "So where are you from?"

Ikhannuk inhales, replying to Theric, "Demotaya is a name of a land that our people had left behind them when they left the Old Land over four centuries ago. But otherworldly? I wouldn't say that's too far off, to be honest. The Bogudani are worshippers of a demon that inhabits this island. Our old religions of the Old Land talked about demons, gods, witches and the like, but we left all those mere rumors behind when we found out the truth of this land."

"Ah, here we are," He inhales again, deeper this time after a small gust of cold wind hits Theric and himself. He shouts to the crew, which had begun securing the boat down, folding up the sails. "Make haste, men! There will be a storm tonight." He addresses the Helmsman, "Keep watch of the boat and the sky."

"Well, Theric, come with me." Ikhannuk begins walking toward the starboard bow, where some men had already begun to jump off into the cold waist-high water and had begun wading ashore.

"Truth, huh?" Theric mulls over Ikhannuks words slowly. For the most part, it all sounds like a bunch of bullstuff- but Ikhannuk seemed to take himself pretty seriously. "Anyone who worships a demon should be on a spike." He says a short bit afterwards. When they arrive, Theric nods and gets himself ready to go out with the rest of them to go and head ashore to go and sift through the shipwreck.

"Yana looks Aif in the eye as if searching for a particular expression, before simply returning to look down at the fish, poking it with her blackened stick. Kaubern." The accent in her voice suggests as much. Despite speaking proto-German very well, she still does not sound like any native speaker of the language.

"Oh, right!" Yana withdraws another flat stone, "Can't exactly eat food too well right off the heat."

"I agree completely. He needs no servants, that's for certain." Ikhannuk replies while arriving at the edge of the starboard side, adjusting his massive sword and sheath to make sure they are secure, before jumping over the side into the water. Did the boat just rock as he went over the edge? Theric sees some men have already picked out the barrel. Many are covering their noses and looking down at the armor-wearing skeletons that lay on the shore, some whole, and some in pieces.

Theric jumps overboard into the frigid water and wades through it until he can walk on the land, the boat sheltering he shore from the full force of the tide, which lay crashing harshly against the rocks to the east. In addition to the skeletons, there are several bone fragments as well lining the beach.

Ikhannuk, after glancing over the wreckage, asks Theric, "How many survivors?"

"I agree completely. He needs no servants, that's for certain." Ikhannuk replies while arriving at the edge of the starboard side, adjusting his massive sword and sheath to make sure they are secure, before jumping over the side into the water. Did the boat just rock as he went over the edge? Theric sees some men have already picked out the barrel. Many are covering their noses and looking down at the armor-wearing skeletons that lay on the shore, some whole, and some in pieces.

Theric jumps overboard into the frigid water and wades through it until he can walk on the land, the boat sheltering he shore from the full force of the tide, which lay crashing harshly against the rocks to the east. In addition to the skeletons, there are several bone fragments as well lining the beach.

Ikhannuk, after glancing over the wreckage, asks Theric, "How many survivors?"

Theric's lips purse into a thin line as he contemplates just how strong Ikhannuk might be... Probably better off to not go against him face to face, if it comes to it. Looking around, Theric kicks his legs a little as he's made his way ashore, and he approaches over towards the wreckage with Ikhannuk.

"Me, but someone else woke up before me. A slave." He pauses, and then looks over to Ikhannuk, "My slave." he specifies, and then his gaze turns out to the treeline.

Therics nose wrinkles up a bit at the smell of the decay, his finger coming over to pinch his shirt and raise it rest on the bridge of his nose.

"I don't know where she is now, but she'd better wish she's dead by the time I find her." The words are let out in a slow growl, and now he's looking around for anything that isn't there that should be.

Ikhannuk grunts and glances over the wreckage, eyes set on Vanadi pointing out something on the ground to the east of the wreckage to two soldiers, and then moving his finger to point in the direction of the steep, rocky forest slope.

"Was the ship transporting prisoners or criminals?"

Aif waits for the food to cool and takes the portion Yana lays out for him.  He begins to put the pieces together, from Yana's bearing, She was a slave.  Probably bought or kidnapped by Germanics from this Kaubern, wherever that is.  Either her master or one of his loyal servants is roaming the island, left for dead at the wreck, or she killed him (or tried to) with that knife of hers, leading to her jumpiness up until now.  Aif doesn't put too much faith in the later half of these musings, and keeps them to himself.  For now, he enjoys his morning meal and the fire while deciding which direction to explore in search of more food, especially food which might be planted nearby.

Yana tests the potatoes again with her charred stick. The potatoes slide off the stick this time. She takes this stick and another one similar in size and picks up the pot by its lip, setting it away from the fire, on the ground.

The wind outside is beginning to stir up most needles, leaves and is moving some twigs.

"Aif..." Yana points outside, "We must finish the hut."

Ikhannuk grunts and glances over the wreckage, eyes set on Vanadi pointing out something on the ground to the east of the wreckage to two soldiers, and then moving his finger to point in the direction of the steep, rocky forest slope.

"Was the ship transporting prisoners or criminals?"

"Neither. My people, the Vannateli, are migrating. My slave and I were cut off from the majority of my people with some others, so we continued west and decided to flee from pursuing Trusian warriors. With that, we boarded ships and headed this way." Theric looks back over to Ikhannuk, "Why do you ask?"

Then he notices where Ikhannuk is looking, and he too looks over at Vanadi, squinting as he tries to discern from afar for now what he's pointing out. He begin to slowly head over that way so he can ask properly. "Have you found something?"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:01:08 PM by grunterdb1951 »

Ikhannuk grunts, "None of your concern. I had wondered if she was enslaved as a criminal as is custom in our land." Two men carry the barrel to Ikhannuk just as Theric steps away.

The wind is picking up. Moderate clouds can be seen to the ESE.

Vanadi and the two other men nod, following Vanadi pointing about. They were talking, but the speech was muddled by the wind and waves. Vanadi and one man briskly head into the forest, up the hill. The other man heads in a slow pace toward the general shipwreck, eyes on the ground. Even at a jogging pace, Theric would not be able to make it to Vanadi and his man in a minute or two, as by the time he reaches the third man on the beach, they are halfway up the hill.

"Footprints. Please, I need to focus." the soldier replies.

Yana picks out the potatoes and tosses the steaming potatoes around in her hands before setting them down on her rock-plate and Aif's. She blows on them until they are cold enough to pick up and eat after her fish is finished.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:26:30 PM by SWAT One »

Aif wolfs his food down quickly, hunched over, with his makeshift plate close to his mouth, barely waiting for it to cool beyond what necessity dictate.  Seeing Yana hasn't finished yet, he thanks her for cooking it and returns to his work on the hut, reinvigorated by a full belly and what his sailor's senses tell him in incoming foul weather.

Yana finishes her food and goes down to the river and washes the large plate stones off. The griddle-stone remains over the fire as it probably requires two to move a large, hot stone like that.

After she finishes cleaning the stones, she hauls them back up to camp. Some Woolswine family far in the distance browses in the brush North of her. The male stares her down, enlarged tusks easily spotted lining the sides of it's mouth. Remembering the incident of two days ago, she keeps eye contact and quickens her pace and makes it back to camp just as Aif finishes up the hut.

She places the prep stones down and eyes the griddle-stone for a second, before turning to check out the small plot where the potatoes had been planted. "What do you think? Should we fence the plot so animals don't try and dig out the spuds?"

Zaluk asks Douzheng a flurry of questions, eyes seeming brightened, "What has become of the empire since we left?" is eyes suddenly grow dark again, "Oh, how rude of me. I must admit, I am–... was a military commander in my time."

Zaluk stops speaking and turns to Zven, who stops trying to translate, and begins discussing with him. Zven then relaxes and Zaluk addresses him in Latin.

"Is this better?"

Väinö is compelled to speak by the men seated on the cushions opposing him. Several guards seem to take a more alert stance.

Ikhannuk walks up the Theric from behind. "I was told by Eetu that this site was untouched?"
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:41:15 AM by SWAT One »

Ikhannuk grunts, "None of your concern. I had wondered if she was enslaved as a criminal as is custom in our land." Two men carry the barrel to Ikhannuk just as Theric steps away.

The wind is picking up. Moderate clouds can be seen to the ESE.

Vanadi and the two other men nod, following Vanadi pointing about. They were talking, but the speech was muddled by the wind and waves. Vanadi and one man briskly head into the forest, up the hill. The other man heads in a slow pace toward the general shipwreck, eyes on the ground. Even at a jogging pace, Theric would not be able to make it to Vanadi and his man in a minute or two, as by the time he reaches the third man on the beach, they are halfway up the hill.

"Footprints. Please, I need to focus." the soldier replies.

Ikhannuk walks up the Theric from behind. "I was told by Eetu that this site was untouched?"

Theric gives Ikhannuk a sideways look, "The moment my slave ended up here is the moment it became my concern, Ikhannuk." He offers to him, his voice laced with a bit of authority. Not that he really has much here.

Looking between the men heading off to investigate and the soldier focusing on the footprints, he rolls his shoulder and gives him a nod.

Stepping back, Theric looks over as Ikhannuk approaches him, before he purses his lips and shrugs. "I told him that it was possible that people could've been here before we arrived. I told all of you that at the table this morning."

Theric looks back over to the others searching over the site with furrowed brows. "But it might've just been easier for him to go in assuming it'd all go according to his plans." There's a huff and then he looks back to Ikhannuk. "We just have to figure out how many were here. After all- not much seems to be missing, which doesn't add up for local looters."

Theric looks back to the soldier going to work discerning the tracks and gives him a look as to say, get to it.