Grappling Hook [mod edit by Conan]

Author Topic: Grappling Hook [mod edit by Conan]  (Read 32390 times)

Alright, I'm looking forward to it. Just to be clear though, the part that makes the player actually swing was very complicated vector math and physics. We both know you couldn't code anything like that, so don't even bother trying to minimize how difficult a task it was for me to make it work the way it does.
As much as I can't stand hata and think he's an insufferable tool, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that I see where he's coming from.

Even if you don't necessarily want or care about releasing an add-on, you still want to get credit for your work.  The original topic didn't even credit him, and the edit was hardly better.  Most people just skim add-on topics in search for a download button if the screenshot looks cool:

It's best to make sure people know who originally made it.

i had worm's topic still open in a tab

lol pls i could code this myself from scratch if i wanted to.
Bro, you know that's a loving lie. Are you seriously gonna lie flat out?

oh stuff watch out conan he's going in

dont you have something better to do than trying to make yourself look good about a grapple hook addon for a nearly dead lego game or is your life seriously this uneventful

your ego is bigger than your head

your ego is bigger than your head
It has nothing to do with ego, or even myself. If you look at any of Conan's actual releases, that he made personally, none of them even come close to high level programming logic. To say that he could make this is an absurd lie. That's like if he took credit for New Duplicator or Slayer.

It has nothing to do with ego, or even myself. If you look at any of Conan's actual releases, that he made personally, none of them even come close to high level programming logic. To say that he could make this is an absurd lie. That's like if he took credit for New Duplicator or Slayer.
so you're assuming that because he doesn't release unnecessarily complex code, he's an idiot? not everything has to be written by Stephen Hawking here, there's almost no use for high level programming logic outside of these really niche and weird add-ons such as this grappling hook.

Advanced vector math has very little application in the mod community. 98% of all things here can be made using basic vector addition and lower
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:30:19 PM by thegoodperry »

i dont shoot guns so im not good at shooting them
this is literally your logic in a different situation
note: i could be good at shooting guns, but you know, i dont

i dont shoot guns so im not good at shooting them
this is literally your logic in a different situation
note: i could be good at shooting guns, but you know, i dont
That's actually a terrible example. Try going to a gun range, and see if you're 'a natural' at it. It's a lot harder than it looks.

But more importantly, I'm not sure if you guys know this, but Conan used to be on my Steam friends list, and I'm actually very familiar with what he's capable of coding-wise. In fact, at one point I explained to him how this mod works, and he literally said he gave up on understanding the logic behind it. That's part of why I'm so shocked that he'd say something so outrageous. Just know your skill level, is all I'm saying.

when you lasso someone, have it hang people up using right click

thats cause none of my single-addon releases require stuff like that. i've done this vector math like this for stuff like spotlights where the spotlights have a radius from the main beam that only blinds people who look in the direction of the spotlight. i've also written some functions to rotate vectors around other vectors, and rotate objects to align with the player's current perspective. you can find code for all this in my github repos for Item_PlayingCards and prison break (which has the spotlights).

and really vector math is only one part of good programming skill. other aspects include pathfinding, smart efficient sorting/data storage/retrival algorithims, and ai design, if we're only talking about stuff relevant for modding. i've done all of that.

neither new dup nor slayer use high level programming logic either. those just use smart but fundamental object hierarchies and data collection algorithims - its the scale and reliability that makes it difficult, not the algorithims.

you also are not familiar with how capable i am coding wise since i blocked you two years ago, and before that i didnt talk with you for a full year. you're also overstating how difficult this addon is.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:31:37 PM by Conan »

when ru gonna release the wood bricks