What has happened to this game?!

Author Topic: What has happened to this game?!  (Read 11803 times)

i think the statement "this game is clearly extremely successful" is highly disputable considering the fact badspot has explicitly stated sales of the game + ads barely pay for running this forum or something

My bad in 2013 block land released pre-steam sales stats which amounted to 40,000+ players, at the current cost of the game, users pay $9.99, and let's be honest if it was regularly updated, the game could be valued at $20 EASILY.

Since the 2013 release of Steam, from preliminary research, the game has made only around 5-10,000 sales.

Non-steam sales may likely amount to a similar amount. So let's say the current sales is 50,000. 50,000 x 9.99 is circa $500,000 in gross sales, and this is being pessimistic with the numbers. This is enough money to employ and get a small dev and marketing team together.

I'm just disappointed as the game has so much potential but it's just ignored.

Sorry excuse. It is ridiculous that people are still whining for Badspot to update the game, give the guy a break. A lot of the time, the people complaining haven't even played the game regularly in years and likely would find something to complain about even if an update did roll out. They aren't helping anything. Meanwhile, there are people working on a spiritual successor for Blockland with a game engine with more flexibility, that will improve upon the original concept. It seems natural that the people actually interested in the game will get their fix, it is only a matter of time. If you want Blockland, loving play it. It is done.

I personally would play it, except it hasn't been supported for the latest macOS. So therefore meaning that the game literally can not be installed on Mac anymore.

I personally would play it, except it hasn't been supported for the latest macOS. So therefore meaning that the game literally can not be installed on Mac anymore.
just use wine

also, badspot will never update this game unless he finds a patch to blhack or some stuff

But the game has over 20k sales so it's made over 200k before tax and expenses.
distributors get a cut anywhere between 30 to 60% of sales, so even with a conservative estimate of $10 per key, and 40k + 100k from steam, that still amounts to $420k best case scenario. that averages to $42k per year over 10 years, which means hes made about as much as if he worked as a junior coder at some company.

The problem isn't getting new players, it's player retention and having improved graphics isn't going to fix the biggest issues.
Most Steam users buy the game and only play for a few hours because of a lackluster server list, then uninstall it forever. First impressions are important to maintain a large userbase.
They might try out singleplayer but either get overwhelmed by a blank slate or get bored by a lack of add-ons because they can't figure out where to get them. Implementing Steam workshop support or baking in a RTB or BLG features would greatly help with add-on discovery.

All good hosts and add-on creators that are still around nowadays joined before the release on Steam. The ones that are still around are in college or have jobs and families and can't give the game their full attention anymore.

The problem isn't getting new players, it's player retention and having improved graphics isn't going to fix the biggest issues.
Most Steam users buy the game and only play for a few hours because of a lackluster server list, then uninstall it forever. First impressions are important to maintain a large userbase.
They might try out singleplayer but either get overwhelmed by a blank slate or get bored by a lack of add-ons because they can't figure out where to get them. Implementing Steam workshop support or baking in a RTB or BLG features would greatly help with add-on discovery.

All good hosts and add-on creators that are still around nowadays joined before the release on Steam. The ones that are still around are in college or have jobs and families and can't give the game their full attention anymore.
well said

i think the statement "this game is clearly extremely successful" is highly disputable considering the fact badspot has explicitly stated sales of the game + ads barely pay for running this forum or something

Badspot told me before that he's made something like 2 million dollars off of blockland and he's still using that cash alone to support himself.

Badspot told me before that he's made something like 2 million dollars off of blockland and he's still using that cash alone to support himself.
did he talk to you while you were in a drug addled haze cause that sounds like something one of your slaves in the basement would say

Sorry excuse. It is ridiculous that people are still whining for Badspot to update the game, give the guy a break. A lot of the time, the people complaining haven't even played the game regularly in years and likely would find something to complain about even if an update did roll out. They aren't helping anything. Meanwhile, there are people working on a spiritual successor for Blockland with a game engine with more flexibility, that will improve upon the original concept. It seems natural that the people actually interested in the game will get their fix, it is only a matter of time. If you want Blockland, loving play it. It is done.
You better watch your tone, stuffbird. Don't go saying "Let it go, the game had its time" to someone who clearly wants an insight on what the hell has happened to this community in the last few years. People have their childhood stored on this game and forum and a group of people making a game for the soul purpose to /try/ to be like it will never satisfy them. It is not Blockland, they care about Blockland not another game trying to mimic it. Don't come to a thread about someone who is genuinely upset about what has happened to this game trying to cram your fascist Brickadia advertisement bullstuff down their throats. You can sorry excuse my ass, no one gives a stuff about what someone else has to offer when they want something else.

You better watch your tone, stuffbird. Don't go saying "Let it go, the game had its time" to someone who clearly wants an insight on what the hell has happened to this community in the last few years. People have their childhood stored on this game and forum and a group of people making a game for the soul purpose to /try/ to be like it will never satisfy them. It is not Blockland, they care about Blockland not another game trying to mimic it. Don't come to a thread about someone who is genuinely upset about what has happened to this game trying to cram your fascist Brickadia advertisement bullstuff down their throats. You can sorry excuse my ass, no one gives a stuff about what someone else has to offer when they want something else.

preach

Everything they need to know is already documented here on the forums. This thread has appeared time and time again. How is it wrong for me to state the obvious? Blockland is a finished game, begging for updates doesn't help. How about you watch your tone, forgetcake.

Also, "fascist Brickadia advertisement bullstuff"
LMAO, dude, you are so full of your own nostalgia. Do you want an improved brick-building game or not?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:15:48 PM by weaver123 »

how do you plant a brick

Do you have an argument or something? Torque is outdated and very limited.