Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 53427 times)

All I wanted was a quick pocket world to see what it was like to start at a goblin fortress, and flood it if possible ( just for fun ;D), and after a long time, I think it would have been faster to just do a stinking full sized world, going to stop it now... (it's already up to 25000 by the time I took a pick and posted this)

Actually, world making runs the exact same way as on windows, so it is just a fluke seed.

No, it is your peice of stuff mac.
Get a real computer.

Macs are fine. Elitist starfishs who use them aren't. Notice how I said elitist starfishs? Yes, well, that doesn't mean you, unless you are an elitist starfish, so don't start posting about "OMG RKY U ASS U SAID MAC USERS ARE starfishS" unless you really feel like an idiot.

I personally hate Macs, but the Macs are really coming along now...

Macs are fine. Elitist starfishs who use them aren't. Notice how I said elitist starfishs? Yes, well, that doesn't mean you, unless you are an elitist starfish, so don't start posting about "OMG RKY U ASS U SAID MAC USERS ARE starfishS" unless you really feel like an idiot.

Sheezy is turning into an "elitist starfish." Maybe not even the elitist part. He's been getting pissed off at people and other meaningless stuff recently just to get a flame going.

Post to get the topic back on topic.

I bet the best defense would be having a river flow through tunnels, and in the event of a lock-in, open flood gates and have the water channeled out the opening of the fortress, making it impossible to get inside.

This defense was awesome.

Haha larem, that's one hell of a flukey seed.

There's going to be an update on the game soon, not exactly sure when but word is it will be out sometime next week.

Update stuff includes smoother worlds and island adventures!

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-618-anislandfromjune2008dev

Hm, what if you had an "water/lava fall" defense? when active, water/lava would begin falling out above your entrance, into channels(with grates on them for walkability) where it is pumped back up to fall again. I think it would work for lava(enemies would walk under to get into your base and burn up), but what about water?

Also, awesome with the island adventures and such. Although I'd rather just go to an aquifer and unleash endless amounts of water around my mountain.

Well, if you have a river above the entrance of your fort, and a chasm, you could have the water flow from the river through a pipe system, and fall in front of your fort and through grates and out a tunnel into the chasm, you could have one that doesn't require effort.  Also, if spend enough time making it so that your dwarfs don't need to go outside for anything (with the possible exception of wood.) you could just get all your dwarfs inside during a siege, and turn on the defense system and go about on your daily life will all the invaders get mad and leave.

Also, lava would potentially be more likely to have a place above your fort that you could channel it through, but magma takes time to refill, so you'd have to use magma proof pumps in order to channel it back up and keep your defense active, but result would end with a bunch of free goods (and blood and body parts, can't forget those.)

This defense was awesome.
Haha, yeah.
Kind of like my last fortress. I got tired of cougars and other dangerous animals appearing so I decided to mine/channel the brook off of the cliff (Three Z-levels, it was one Z-level below the land I had started on and on the same Z-level as the rooms in my fort).
I had to abandon for two reasons:
1) Water lag.
2) If I let it build up to the same Z-level as my rooms it would flood because of ONE single wall I couldn't build over a floor tile or else my sheriff would drown himself.

Diagram:
  !!!!!!!!
  ####
  ####
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

! = My home-made waterfall.
# = Channeled out place for the designated waterfall
0 = Wall that got flooded over.
~ = Flooding water.

Oh my.

My new fortress has easy access to
+Hematite
+Platinum
+Bituminous coal
+Black sand
+Running water

I'm set!(until I get ambushed by goblins)

Oh my.

My new fortress has easy access to
+Hematite
+Platinum
+Bituminous coal
+Black sand
+Running water

I'm set!(until I get ambushed by goblins)
I would kill for some hematite right about now, and some flux. I seem to have everything else except for those two things.

I also caught my own fireman, I wonder if I'll be able to tame it and have it as a pet. Do they ignite anything they come into contact with?