Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 53458 times)

awww fluffy wamblers are gnawing on my food barrels :3

Update:
I has ready supplies of
+chalk
+magnetite
+bauxite(searching for rubies and such in it)
+olivine(only shows up in gabbro, and so does kimberlite, which contains diamonds, so im searching around this cluster of olivine.)

as well. So I'm doing pretty dang well. I was able to farm in the white sand I found without irrigation, so that's going well :3

Update:
YEY! I caught a hole bunch of the things!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:41:20 PM by rkynick »

Update:
YEY! I caught a hole bunch of the things!

Can you tame those things and keep them as pets? Cause you know, fluffy :3

You can, their exotic though so its gonna have to wait until dungeon master or whatever the noble is called.

Also
I FOUND RUBIES! YEY!

PUT ALL THE FUZZY ANIMALS IN ONE CAGE.
AND THEM DUMP IT INTO LAVA.

PUT ALL THE FUZZY ANIMALS IN ONE CAGE.
AND THEM DUMP IT INTO LAVA.
I did that with the donkeys.

For some reason it caused an explosion.

its "fluffy wamblers", not FUZZY ANIMALS, and I don't have access to lava, nor would I want to put them in it >:O

Also, I've gotten a bit paranoid... I'm doing... too well. Expecting goblin ambush any second...

I've started placing cage and weapon(wooden menacing spikes) traps in my entrance tunnel(designed to be very long so I could fill it with traps) as well as making sure I could survive inside for long periods of time(storing up on wood, making sure my fortress could produce enough food/beer to survive)

as for the weapon traps, I plan to have 10. Each one has an increasing number of menacing wooden spikes. right now I have 1, 2 and 3. I plan to do the same with iron spikes once I have metalsmith capabilities. After that I will be making pitfall type traps using channels and floorhatches connected to levers. I will be training my dwarves with corkscrew pumps used as exercise equipment.(last time before the ambush my pump operator was superdwarvenly tough.

I will have the fortress separated by strong metal doors into sections which can be locked off if necessary. I have a steady supply of dogs now which I will convert into fearsome wardogs who will wreck havoc on my malevolent enemies, tearing them limb by limb. The idea is that I will trap invaders in my entrance tunnel(by closing off strong metal doors) and then pull a lever, opening floodgates that let out my vicious wardogs. Any caged enemies will be stripped of their equipment and kept in a zoo as a testimony to our prowess.   

For this is Hammerflag, Bane of all evil!

I got an idea for another defense:

Have a bunch of grates over a three deep pit at your entrance all hooked up to the same lever.  In the pit, have a complex system that fills in water two deep, and will drain out once triggered.  Then have an access door on the bottom floor (but make sure to keep it closed when water is in).  Then when pesky goblins come, simply wait until there pounding on your front door, above the grates, and have a trusty dwarf pull the level.  Watch as they all fall into the pit and drown.  Then repeat until all the goblins have fallen in.  Once the attack is over, drain the pit, and have a bunch of dwarfs go in and loot the bodies.  Make sure it fill it up with water again (second time it should have some blood mixed in...how nice) and wait till your next siege free items day.

That's a good idea, I'll set up part of my entrance tunnel like that.

Hammerflag shall be impenetrable!

Toady seems to be working on that update to make it so you can unpack your wagon and work completely underground and never touch the surface. Should be interesting.

Sounds cool, but dwarfs would still be drawn to the surface by the ever growing need for wood...

Sounds cool, but dwarfs would still be drawn to the surface by the ever growing need for wood...
Underground caravans  :cookieMonster:

Is there a way to reset the place F1 takes you?

h is the hotkey menu. You can set that one and more.

Current fortress is in spring 3rd year

It'd doing pretty well... too well...

Hammerflag has been blessed with its first wave of migrants!

all in all these new workers joined our ranks:
2 peasants(hauling duties and farmwork for you guise.)
1 furnace operator(good, I just made a smelter)
1 jeweler(perfect, I'll put him to work on my gems, then let him tackle the rubies!
1 planter(more farmhands is always useful)
1 bone carver(not sure what to do with this guy, I guess I'll put him to work carving bones, but we don't have many)
a groundhog
1 woodcrafter(see above(bone carver), replace bones with wood and we dont have many with we have a lot)
1 fish dissector(not useful at the moment but possibly later)

All in all our numbers rose to 15.
I plan to make one of the peasants a miner and the other a farmer. I'm working on an indoor lake by rerouting the river, so I'll make the fishery worker a combination fish dissector/fisher.