Author Topic: The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion  (Read 32039 times)

I still don't like the idea.  If someone is a rogue and then they have a high bounty, they'll probably go into hiding for a bit.  So it's really not fair if they lose skill levels because they decided to do something else for a little/needed to hide.  And what about if they're mining resources?

It doesn't have to go down by a ton. Just a little. Maybe every level they gain that doesn't apply to being a rouge makes it go down by 1/10. It's not going to affect them very much, but it does.

But whatever. If it won't affect them very much, maybe there isn't a point to do it at all.

Maybe in skills that are opposites.  So if you level up in your restoration skill, your destruction level goes down.  Yes, using TES skills for examples.

That would be a good way to balence it.

My server is up, password is still "asswor".  You can check out the fishing system I made and the loom while you're there, and also check out the little progress I've made on the RPG so far.  The NPCs are coming along quite nicely, you can actually hold some form of conversation with them.

It's up intermittently.

Perhaps "The Ultimate Blockland RP" could be a 'respect' system of sorts. Users vote on each others builds. More positive votes grants the owner of the plot access to more building supplies per day. The community gets to decide what builds are worth keeping, and what are better off being demolished. Players already enjoy showing off their building talents in the gallery and on their own servers; why not capitalize on that desire for attention and positive reinforcement?

A vote can be awarded once per day, per player. More active players will thus wield more voting power. Players have the simple choice of: giving the build no rating, giving the build a negative rating, or giving it a positive rating.

The overall rating of a build will impact how many bricks the player may add to the particular plot each day. The rating could be a scale from 1 to 5. 1 being the poorest kind of structure, almost destined for demolition, and 5 being the highest rating signifying a structure the community deems valuable or worth keeping. An "average" rating of 3 yields no penalties and no rewards; all plots start at this rating. A higher rating would yield access to planting more bricks per day onto the plot, and could also enable the use of special bricks (JVS content for example). A lower rating wouldn't impact the kinds of bricks you can use (you'd never lose access to the bricks you started with) but the player may no longer be able to build as much in a single day.

The calculation of the rating of a plot could consist of more than just an average of the number votes given. Building efficiency could be encouraged by reducing the benefits of a higher rating for builds with more bricks. Perhaps the rating of a build could be more difficult to influence as a structure ages.

The attributes, ratings, and abilities would be unique to each plot. A player could own multiple plots, but each may have entirely different ratings and brick choices available to them. In this way the value of a single plot doesn't lend the player an abusive level of unchecked power. A global rating of sorts could be visible to players showing who owns the most plots, the average rating of those plots, and perhaps a total brick ownership count.

The system I am suggesting:

• Does not rely on a fake currency
  • No grinding involved
  • The focus is on building
  • Player creativity is rewarded The reward being the respect of your peers and the ability to build more per day.
  • Daily participation is encouraged Active players have more say in the community. Also, bricks are awarded on a daily basis, any not used in that day are wasted.
  • Fewer opportunities to grief Weapons and vehicles aren't necessary in this game mode. The goal is to earn respect, not an arsenal.

hey wait whoa slow down

that's not really an rp OR an rpg anymore

it sounds like a great idea but still it's more like a new way to freebuild or a citybuild system

I agree with Bushido, it's not an RP or RPG anymore and looks more like a freebuild or citybuild.
But i think it would do very good!

It could be a good element for house construction in RPs. The only problem I see with it is people going "Trading positive points!"

hey wait whoa slow down

that's not really an rp OR an rpg anymore

it sounds like a great idea but still it's more like a new way to freebuild or a citybuild system

I'm not entirely sure how one might define an "RP" or "RPG". If "RPing" truly means giving a player some arbitrary title and doling out lumps of fairly useless currency every few minutes then perhaps the concept should be dropped altogether. I've witnessed players role-playing as children and pets and such in servers not even intended to be RPs and they appeared to really be enjoying themselves, so perhaps a hard-coded system isn't needed at all.

The only problem I see with it is people going "Trading positive points!"

That is a possibility, but I think such an occurrences would rare at best. Players would only get one vote per day, so you'd probably have a difficult time sustaining any kind of group-voting, at least for more than 2 players. The only negative scenario I can foresee is if two malicious players joined the server and collaborated to vote up each others builds (presumably offensive or "spammy" builds) but this would hopefully be counteracted by the rest of the players down voting their two builds. Another possibility, although this further obfuscates the system, would be to implement a "law of diminishing returns" so that votes cast by the same player for the same plot each day become increasingly useless. Such a method, were it obvious to the player, would encourage users to spread their votes around, and thus everyone gets a chance to have their build rated.

Tom

I'm not entirely sure how one might define an "RP" or "RPG".
Your thing wouldn't be an RP because you don't really play the role of someone in a fantasy universe.

What if there was a game-master system? A person (the host and/or a few other super admins) could be game-masters. They would be responsible for keeping the RP flowing, like making a story unfold (which encourages people playing roles) or keeping order (well, the admin part is there).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:50:53 AM by Barnabas »

What if there was a game-master system? A person (the host and/or a few other super admins) could be game-masters. Thex would be responsible for keeping the RP flowing, like making a story unfold (which encourages people playing roles) or keeping order (well, the admin part is there).

Perhaps the players could be guided through a pre-built, linear, adventure by the GM. A Cooperative campaign as it were.

Their fame was short lived, but that's pretty much a boss battle server.