Author Topic: Euclideon Island Demo 2011: Say Goodbye to Polygons  (Read 4116 times)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4
Now discuss because I'm horrible with making topics.

bullstuff until something actually happens with it? edit: i mean yeah its cool, im just not going to believe it yet. i mean if it was really this amazing you think something would have happened by now.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:10:16 PM by Fredulus »

then all of our graphics cards melted

good job euclideon

bullstuff until something actually happens with it? edit: i mean yeah its cool, im just not going to believe it yet. i mean if it was really this amazing you think something would have happened by now.
They did say the technology isn't yet totally complete but they will be releasing it in a few months.
If it's as good as they say it is then wow.

still dont see how itll be implemented in games lol. i mean, current hardware couldnt run that.

still dont see how itll be implemented in games lol. i mean, current hardware couldnt run that.
It's a totally different rendering technique, we don't know what it will run on.
edit: on top of that, if it is as they say it is and it really kicks off when it's launched, in the coming years GPU hardware may be tailored for this stuff.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:35:00 PM by blaman »

What a scam! Just search for Sparse Voxel Octree. Wonder why they don't show any animation? Because it can't be done. That's why this technology that exists for more than a decade can't be used in gaming.
BCEMCOCATb 27 minutes ago
If this Youtube comment is correct, which it most likely isn't because it's a Youtube comment and all, it seems like this would not work out for gaming. But the way that man was talking in the video made it sound like it was completely possible and even almost ready for games, which require animations. I can imagine if that actually can't do animations, maybe they could combine that software with polygons and make animations? That would look odd though and bring back the limitations of polygons.
This is differently going to be very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes to it. A lot of people said it was fake, which would be very disappointing, but I'm not very sure how they would even fake something like that. I wish I could see it in person.
But also I'd like everyone to keep in mind that this is not complete at the moment. What you are seeing in the video and what you're also hearing in the video can possibly change in the months to come before release.

Oh boy I can't wait to waste processing power on overly-detailed landscapes
Polygons are just AWFUL

Oh man i cant wait to stare at trees without those evil polygons mucking everything up.

Oh man i cant wait to stare at trees without those evil polygons mucking everything up.
He was using trees and other objects as examples of what can be done with this software.
Oh boy I can't wait to waste processing power on overly-detailed landscapes
Polygons are just AWFUL
Just because it can have unlimited detail does not mean they will always create such overly-detailed landscapes. There is a good chance that until an average computer can run such an overly-detailed landscape they will be limiting the amount of detail seeing as it's not very necessary.
Although, this is going to be in the future so I' just guessing as how it's going to go. I could be wrong.

He also said that their environment consisted of roughly 21 trillion voxels. I've heard of this kind of thing being done in the range of billions on modern hardware, but not trillions. Which suggests they have done significant optimization.
Also it's possible to animate sparse voxel octrees but it's much much different then conventional animation.

Also it's possible to animate sparse voxel octrees but it's much much different then conventional animation.
I'm glad to hear that but it sounds a lot more tough than doing it with polygons.

Quote from: joeker566
I CANT WAIT TO LOOK AT ROCKS
pretty much this until they can prove animation can be done in this

pretty much this until they can prove animation can be done in this
You are an idiot auuuggh do none of you understand what can be done with this it's not just about loving ROCKS and god damn TREES those are just the examples they're giving ARGH

Also, they posted the video twice for some reason THIS one has a description:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
In the description they plainly state that they have animation but they still haven't proved it so I'll be waiting
(Yes grumpy forum people, we do have animation, but you'll just have to be patient.)

Real or not, I can't wait to see what comes of this.