Poll

What is your favorite type of terraining?

Basic Cubescaping
60 (27.4%)
Unaligned Cubescaping
27 (12.3%)
Normal Brickscaping
39 (17.8%)
Rampscaping
12 (5.5%)
Platescaping
17 (7.8%)
Mix
64 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Author Topic: ██ Terraining - How-To Guide ██ Updated 3/20/13 - Rampscaping  (Read 36129 times)

Add a way to fix these [][][][]
                                       [][]
The [] is a 4x4 cube.
I run into them alot.
Fix what? I don't fully understand.

A picture would be better.

These I run in to these alot.

Small question, where does GSF's Mod Ter Bricks fit into all of this?

These I run in to these alot.
What is the problem?

Small question, where does GSF's Mod Ter Bricks fit into all of this?

They would go as a supplement of aligned cubescaping, but at the time of writing I hadn't the time to learn how to use them, and nobody offered to help.

Bump cause I think this is quiet impressive.

Bump cause I think this is quiet impressive.
Good job! This IS quite impressive. This is the reason that I am a good terrainist

Good job! This IS quite impressive. This is the reason that I am a good terrainist

average the way i see it
always room for improvement

average the way i see it
always room for improvement
What terrain are you looking at of mine? My Terrain River? That isn't as good as the terrain I'm doing for the Blocking Dead.

Rampscaping

Rampscaping is pretty much adding ramps to Brickscaping. Using it correctly, however, isn't as straightforward. I recommend that you develop your own style for this technique and only use what is here as a guide to develop your ideas.

Flat/Sloped Terrain
There are two ways to doing this, each with its own overall style.

The first method is to use duplicated ramp stacks of any height, 2x to 4x bricks wide. You can choose to either vary the ramp angle, or keep it the same. If used with brickscaping, the resulting effect tends to emphasize the maneuverability of the ramped regions over the flat areas, and draws people to walk over it, unlike normal brickscape which emphasizes the change in elevation.

The second method is to use small, 1x wide ramps. This is arguably the most difficult terrain to master, as I have only seen one terrain to-date (pictured below) that uses this idea effectively. The "maneuverability" of ramps is lost in this style, instead emphasizing how each level rises out of the lower one.

Steep Terrain

Ramped Steep terrain usually takes on two forms:

• Idealistic Terrain: Extensive use of overhang ramps, and mainly consists of high-angle ramps.

• Realistic: Used mainly to slope down existing cliffs; may or may not be made up of just ramps.

Technically there is a third form, inverted ramps without the main body of terrain consisting of ramps, but I have yet to see a build that utilizes this form.

Both designs are pretty straightforward; to use them nicely just stay consistent with your ramp usage and randomnization. The second design is best used to slope down terrain to riverbeds that have carved out a ditch.

The parts that are bold-ed are the ones I find just plain stupid. The reason I quoted this is since I hate how Conan tried making a rampscape guide yet he fails at making rampscape himself.

Terrian From cave build I made a few months ago. All default. All made by hand. The best way to make rampscape is not to over use the 1x thick or duplicate. The trick is to make it by hand and use the 4x thick ones. Then you go down to the 2x and 1x ones for more detail. So yeah. This guide bothers me.

The parts that are bold-ed are the ones I find just plain stupid. The reason I quoted this is since I hate how Conan tried making a rampscape guide yet he fails at making rampscape himself.

Terrian From cave build I made a few months ago. All default. All made by hand. The best way to make rampscape is not to over use the 1x thick or duplicate. The trick is to make it by hand and use the 4x thick ones. Then you go down to the 2x and 1x ones for more detail. So yeah. This guide bothers me.
finally someone who actually wants to contribute/fix something

thanks for the input, it does make sense. I had no real experience with rampscaping when I wrote the guide and just put down what came to my mind and logically made sense. I didn't have examples of what you have posted here so I couldn't say that would be a good method as it would lack support

also note that this guide accomodates every skill level so yes, even though duplicated ramp stacks suck, newbies have to start somewhere. Its quite intimidating for them if the only guide available states "you gotta do complicated terrain or else you suck." If I only kept what's really "good," there wouldn't be any cubescaping as brickscaping obviously outdoes it in every way. Your method is kinda the in-between between the simple method and the 1x ramp method which in some ways looks good. We all have different opinions and I'm not going to cut out material because someone thinks it is bad.

I always loved Cubescaping.  One of my personal favorites.

finally someone who actually wants to contribute/fix something

thanks for the input, it does make sense. I had no real experience with rampscaping when I wrote the guide and just put down what came to my mind and logically made sense. I didn't have examples of what you have posted here so I couldn't say that would be a good method as it would lack support

also note that this guide accomodates every skill level so yes, even though duplicated ramp stacks suck, newbies have to start somewhere. Its quite intimidating for them if the only guide available states "you gotta do complicated terrain or else you suck." If I only kept what's really "good," there wouldn't be any cubescaping as brickscaping obviously outdoes it in every way. Your method is kinda the in-between between the simple method and the 1x ramp method which in some ways looks good. We all have different opinions and I'm not going to cut out material because someone thinks it is bad.
Its not that I think it looks bad its that the 1x rampscape is highly spammy and duplicated looks somewhat like the person was lazy. The methods could be used to make it look good but I do not suggest it.
EDIT: I would appreciate if you used my in game name in the op of Phantom Knight.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:23:21 AM by Bester Bageler »

Its not that I think it looks bad its that the 1x rampscape is highly spammy and duplicated looks somewhat like the person was lazy. The methods could be used to make it look good but I do not suggest it.
EDIT: I would appreciate if you used my in game name in the op of Phantom Knight.
Done.

Might add update this week, stay posted if you have no clue how to design terrain (not build it, that's covered already)

nope too busy
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:02:26 PM by Conan »