Author Topic: 2012/09/05 - Blockland r1728  (Read 43202 times)

Could you compare my card to one that should run shadows?

Also it still doesn't explain my garbage desktop being able to run shadows while my gaming computer can't.
If "HD" is 720... then it would be hard not to have HD.

If "HD" is 720... then it would be hard not to have HD.
what?

what?
What I'm saying is that anything above 800x600 is considered 'HD'.

so wait

my monitor is 1920x1080

so do i have super HD plus or something

uh, sure? i don't get what you mean. my monitor is 1300 by 1000 something

Mobility Radeon 5730 should be more than enough to run Blockland's shaders.  It sounds like a driver issue of some sort.  If you're using a dual/hybrid/virtual/etc GPU system, try forcing it to using the higher end one if possible.

Also, how's about an option for pixel/depth buffer/whatever fog.  With close visible distance settings, the vertex fog can look pretty butt.

I am on my six-year-old home computer (I have a much better one in my college dorm but I'm home for the weekend) and it can't even run minimum, even though all the requirements are met. According to the console, it's some sort of shader compilation error. Just look at the console.log I've attached and see if it's my computer's fault.

I have an nVidia GeForce 7300 LE (256 MB, latest drivers) GPU, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz CPU, and 2GB of RAM. Quite crappy by today's standards, I know.

Did you try updating your driver?

(22:35:50) TheBlackParrot: WHAT
(22:35:51) TheBlackParrot: WHAT
(22:35:54) TheBlackParrot: I HA VE SHADERS
(22:35:56) TheBlackParrot: IN WINE
(22:36:01) TheBlackParrot: WITH AN INTEL GMA965
(22:36:09) TomTheGeek: THE forget

im stunned.
using wine 1.5.12 if anyone else is running linux.

EDIT: crashes on low, will post a console.log if needed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:31:10 PM by TheBlackParrot »

So my HD Graphics card is the reason why I can't run shadows? It's far, far better than the graphics card my desktop uses (which is also many years older), yet it can run shadows just fine on high settings.

I got my gaming computer just two years ago. I don't possibly see how it can already be "outdated". As if everyone goes out and buys a new $1,000 gaming computer every 6 months.

I don't know why it can't run shaders, I'm just correcting you when you said it was a high-end card, because it's not.

And sadly yes, your parts are likely outdated, as your GPU is as I said earlier - 2 generations behind, and not even the top model of it's generation. I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm just saying it's not considered new anymore. Technology changes very fast. I have a 580, it was only a handful of months ago that it was the most powerful single GPU card on the planet. It's now outdone by many new cards.

I don't know why it can't run shaders, I'm just correcting you when you said it was a high-end card, because it's not.

And sadly yes, your parts are likely outdated, as your GPU is as I said earlier - 2 generations behind, and not even the top model of it's generation. I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm just saying it's not considered new anymore. Technology changes very fast. I have a 580, it was only a handful of months ago that it was the most powerful single GPU card on the planet. It's now outdone by many new cards.
Again, Blockland doesn't need anything particularly high end to use the shaders, as has been said several times.  It's more likely a configuration or driver problem on his end (software problem), than an actual hardware incompatibility, as his system is more than capable.  Don't try to spread misinformation about people needing crazy expensive crap.

There's absolutely no need for the latest and greatest at all times, unless you just want to feed in to their marketing crap and end up paying way too much.  Just get a $200-300 card every like 3-5 years and you should be fine for running anything at good to "console" quality.

Again, Blockland doesn't need anything particularly high end to use the shaders, as has been said several times.  It's more likely a configuration or driver problem on his end (software problem), than an actual hardware incompatibility, as his system is more than capable.  Don't try to spread misinformation about people needing crazy expensive crap.

There's absolutely no need for the latest and greatest at all times, unless you just want to feed in to their marketing crap and end up paying way too much.  Just get a $200-300 card every like 3-5 years and you should be fine for running anything at good to "console" quality.

You missed the point. He said his card was high-end. It's not. That's all I said. It's not about shaders or needing the best GPU possible or marketing.

I never said his GPU wasn't good enough. I informed him it wasn't a high-end card. Not trying to offend anyone or start arguments, I'm just saying, it's not a high-end card. He thought it was, so I corrected him.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:02:51 AM by SpreadsPlague »

You missed the point. He said his card was high-end. It's not. That's all I said. It's not about shaders or needing the best GPU possible or marketing.

I never said his GPU wasn't good enough. I informed him it wasn't a high-end card. Not trying to offend anyone or start arguments, I'm just saying, it's not a high-end card. He thought it was, so I corrected him.
okay, i get the point! thanks.

anyways, do you think my graphics card is powerful enough to be able to run shadows, spreads? even though it's not high-end? my lame-o windows XP desktop with junk graphics card can run shadows on high with no problem or FPS drop, yet my gaming laptop which is supposed to be far more powerful can't even run it!

okay, i get the point! thanks.

anyways, do you think my graphics card is powerful enough to be able to run shadows, spreads? even though it's not high-end? my lame-o windows XP desktop with junk graphics card can run shadows on high with no problem or FPS drop, yet my gaming laptop which is supposed to be far more powerful can't even run it!
There's your problem
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:57:28 AM by Treynolds416 »

shaders are apparently active - but they don't show. everything in shaders is okay except one thing