Author Topic: Cohort - oink  (Read 92892 times)

Save database! Oh yes!

What NWB did wrong- not keep their saves

The truth. I only have a few of NWB's builds, I wish I had more. A save database is an excellent idea, and I'm not really sure it's been done before.

I've been working on a private build recently, and it's coming along well. It's a massive Neo-Gothic mansion (honestly might be the largest mansion on BL), exterior is progressing and is mostly complete. Currently at around 48k bricks, with the planned interior (I think it'll be around 20-30 bedrooms etc.) and grounds, fully furnished it might get to brick limit. Pics when exterior is done.

The truth. I only have a few of NWB's builds, I wish I had more. A save database is an excellent idea, and I'm not really sure it's been done before.

I've been working on a private build recently, and it's coming along well. It's a massive Neo-Gothic mansion (honestly might be the largest mansion on BL), exterior is progressing and is mostly complete. Currently at around 48k bricks, with the planned interior (I think it'll be around 20-30 bedrooms etc.) and grounds, fully furnished it might get to brick limit. Pics when exterior is done.

You should host it:) (Unless you wanted to do this alone completely)

I'm dying to see the pictures.

I will soon post you my idea and the design of a database, i am thinking about it since a long time, but now, i do it! =)

update: website has been updated a little ;)
I also got 131,1 gb of saves lol, i will put all in this =) surprise surprise!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:09:10 PM by Sylvanor »

Wait, you have that much space or there's already that much saves?

I believe he has that much space. 131,1 gb of saves is impossible. A 256k brick build save doesn't take more than 10 mb of harddrive space. So 131 gb would be like 13500 saves.

Okay, I was confused.

But damn, If we have this as well as backups COHORT will live forever!

So are we ready to start something new? Sylvanor, if you used one of your dedis to make like a WIP server where we could brainstorm, that might be cool, because as much good ideas as we have it doesn't do too good if we're just throwing them around.

Alrighty.

I vote gothic steampunk castle. All in favor? Say Yay or Nay. If Nay, please suggest something else.

Il ill set up a dedi soon !

Alrighty.

I vote gothic steampunk castle. All in favor? Say Yay or Nay. If Nay, please suggest something else.

Yay.

Truthfully I do not get this. The most help I got about building something was that you should try to finish the project. In the past I have learned that others learn from example, this is not a good way. Wedge has some really neat post about how people cheat and steal ideas than one day they come up with better ones than they are stealing and this is where we get good builders. The idea of tutoring lessons would be clan members showing people older things they built and asking them to replicate them like learning penmanship. But I have also learned that if we keep teaching this way no new content is introduced. 

Really learning how to build is something a person has to do on there own. One must learn how to quickly use the numb pad and super-shift for efficiency rather than getting use to manually placing bricks like most newer members do now in days. They must than master navigating the brick menu to find the large bricks they need. You can also find newer members using a lot of smaller bricks not for detail but for not having an idea of anything bigger of the same size to fit the needed area. The last thing a person must learn is how to finish what they started. You can have good builders who masters the first two but only great builders come out of the ones who master all three.

Tutoring a person how to build will not work for you are only showing them items to replicate but they will not use the replicated ideas well or find use of them. What you really need to do to teach a new builder is have them master the controls in building. A person could have a great idea but without knowing how to build it they can not. So to really teach the next group of builders they can not be taught how you build, from the best since they are simply copying them. They must learn how to build, so we get more original content.
 With this said I suggest Sylvanor adds to the website a section where anyone with an account can upload building techniques of ways to construct the details and the larger parts of a build. This will circulate and introduce new ideas for more original content, Cohort member items are specially marked. A new guide is also put on the website showing off how to control the numb pad giving examples of what each key does like in learning typing. This will make it easier for people to build and so they will build more and quicker. Navigating the brick menu and patience is something we will all have to learn alone. But I really do not see a future in building classes.
with this

• People get ideas as Wedges thought and we introduce new ideas to others.
  • People learn how to build faster and better making community projects easier.
  • Less stuffty builders as Caribou said.

Any thoughts?

Hey Bester. I've thought about this post for a while now and I finally got some freetime to respond. Well, I've had lots of freetime, but haven't had the inspiration to post. :)

I understand what you're getting at, but I think you're abit off. Of course you're expressing your opinion with exaggeration. If building classes were to be, they would never be done by telling the pupils to replicate an old build. That's just silly to even say. I'd like to refer to my building tutorial. It is in fact just me building a build and telling them that they could do it my way. This way I've maybe spawned multiple replicators, but the intent of my tutorial is to encourage a way of thinking that can ease your building and hopefully inspire to further develop your style. If I were to have building classes (which I really am positive for) I would start building something (something specific of course.. haven't thought it through) and they would see the process of the building and what choices I make in the process. This, I think would be valuable for anyone. I would furthermore explain why I make my choices and hopefully develop a discussion with the pupils thus creating an educative environment for both of us. Association is a valuable resource in bl and I don't think you should be without it.

Yeah I agree that the usage of the tools is an important subject. But really, don't want to sound condescending but, that's more like learning the ropes and I don't feel like I want to use my time to learn out the basics (and maybe more advanced stuff but really.. this barely interest me). I rather want to inspire and encourage the creative sides of bl (I don't mean that navigating the brick menu isn't a part of the building but I rather focus on the aesthetics as it interests me).

I may have missed something in your post.. ehm yeah as you can see I've written very messy but that's because I write on this obnoxious school computer, which doesn't have an english spelling programme and stupid buttons.

I may have missed something in your post.. ehm yeah as you can see I've written very messy but that's because I write on this obnoxious school computer, which doesn't have an english spelling programme and stupid buttons.
With this said I suggest Sylvanor adds to the website a section where anyone with an account can upload building techniques of ways to construct the details and the larger parts of a build. This will circulate and introduce new ideas for more original content, Cohort member items are specially marked.
  With what you said I still suggest this. A bunch of small guides people upload on the website of techniques for building. This is under a new section and not tutorials since the items listed are much smaller like forum posts.

for the castle/city thingy, i was thinking of stuff like this?

we really oughta get started if we're going to do this

The first floor is a bit blank :)
I'll set up a server wednesday, I will be in holidays for 3 weeks so I won't be here for some time. If any of cohort members have an rtb account, pm me please :). Sleven will be on charge of the clan!
Also, I hope Eksi used utopia in his video, otherwise I'll hate this game forever lol...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:15:59 AM by Sylvanor »