Author Topic: People trying to increase the minimum wage  (Read 5440 times)

I really am tired of people trying to increase the minimum wage in the U.S, its already a little too high. If we increase the minimum wage, workers will have to be laid off because the company simply can't afford to employ that many workers. Also with the increased wages, the cost to produce will increase, therefore causing the companies to increase the prices of their products.

Fast Food workers want 15 dollars an hour. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. You work in a fast food restaurant, and they think the way to get out of poverty is to increase their wages to 15 dollars an hour? Companies can't afford to do such things, they hire you for the same reason you work there; to make money! If you increase the wage to 15 dollars an hour, you cause even more unemployment then there already is. Also its a ridiculous amount of money for the job you do! So you should be making 31,000 dollars a year, because you are in poverty? And it is more than likely one of your decisions that got you there? It really grinds my gears, because they are not even thinking about the effects of increasing wages like that. All they care about is having spending money so they don't have to spend it all on food.
  No I do not like to see people in poverty, but when someone thinks increasing wages is the solution, it makes me want to call them an idiot.

Just a little rant I had, discuss people being stupid and not understanding the effects of increasing wages.

It also raises taxes. :S

while it is ridiculous to raise it to $15/hour, the reasoning is that you can't live or sustain you/your family on minimum wage due to rising living costs (food/housing/etc.)

but then again if you're actually living off of minimum wage you should be on whatever moneybags the gov't hands out anyway

the way i view it is pretty much if you think you can get through life working in fast food or as a cashier at walmart then you need to really reconsider some stuff
you should try to get a better job as soon as you can, those positions are more for experience than to make a living

living wage estimate for the us is almost twice the minimum wage, you have to work two jobs to live
you can't get a better job because the education is stuff and you cant go back to school because you can't afford it

Companies can't afford to do such things
Actually they can.
While I don't exactly agree with the protest, the companies could theroretically pay their workers an equal wage.
They just won't, and shouldn't be expected to.

Actually, I'm pretty sure somebody ran the numbers and McDonalds could keep all of their employees even if they paid them 15$/hour.

minimum wage needs to go up to match inflation rates. $7.25 in today's money is like $5.00 in 2003.

do you think this is tumblr or something? try coming up with an argument instead of just posting a stupid reaction image in place. this stuff contributes nothing to the topic at hand.

Apparently depending on location and situation, you can get more than minimum wage via welfare

Also
http://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact-2?g=2

So you should be making 31,000 dollars a year, because you are in poverty? And it is more than likely one of your decisions that got you there?
it isnt always someone's fault they're in a stuff situation though

we do need those 'minimal wage' jobs to have people though. we cant just say "wow you should get a better job" cuz they do matter.
without them, who would do the dirtywork? we wouldn't have clothes, a PC and all that good stuff manufactured. as much as it may be a stuffty job, we cant just throw them out to the bin and say it sucks because its kinda needed.

Actually, I'm pretty sure somebody ran the numbers and McDonalds could keep all of their employees even if they paid them 15$/hour.
iirc they could easily do this by increasing the prices of their foods by a dime each
or, maybe, it was only the price for one sandwich by a dime, and everything else could stay the same? idk for sure