Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 433023 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOuHn_Wg2sg

New update, in typical fashion adds almost nothing anyone would notice, but there's a billion things happening in the code that you'll never see. Every time the player climbs up a ledge or jumps across a pit, it displays a second, larger sprite with the animations in it. The player becomes invisible for as long as the animation takes. It's kind of weird but it makes it so my player sprite doesn't need to be huge in order to have tile-spanning animations.

Also I don't like how I sound as the maker of grunts. They sound dumb.

That game looks pretty cool, what did you make it in? Also, all of the sound FX are kinda bad :( i'm sure you can find some better ones.

That game looks pretty cool, what did you make it in?
javascript, I think. I can't actually figure out where I saw that but I swear 2 god someone said it was made with javascript. and if that's the case it's probably a browser game

ya in da comments squidward said
Quote from: squidward
I'm using Phaser, an HTML5 javascript framework. That means it can run in the browser with no extra plug-ins.

Pretty old thing I modeled a while ago. Guess what game it is from. (It's old)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUhPeom5tk

AI without using pathfinding. It's possible but not without its quirks.

Perhaps use other climbable things besides just ladders (vines, rock walls, etc)

Perhaps use other climbable things besides just ladders (vines, rock walls, etc)
Vines and ropes need to have specific climbing animations and sounds, but it pays off to pay attention to detail.

I'm looking to develop a game (in the future of course) with some elements from Destiny, Borderlands, and No Man's Sky. (Mostly) Everything would be randomly generated. And I mean everything. (The weapons, the items, the characters, the gear, the landscapes, the quests, etc.) The game would be focused on adventuring, looting, and collecting. This is as far as I've got but I'm looking to develop it further in the future.

(Destiny for the general aesthetic feel, Borderlands for the randomly generated weapons/gear, and No Man's Sky for the space battles and random planets.)

Oh, and did I mention that it's going to (probably) be an MMO?

you realize that's sort of like saying 'im looking to develop an mmo sometime in the future'

you realize that's sort of like saying 'im looking to develop an mmo sometime in the future'
i really should've said that it's just a concept at this point

come to think of it I have this idea for a game that on first glance seems to be a basic platformer with only 8 levels, but the weather of each level is randomized, and this affects the types of tiles/enemies that would be around (in hot weather a lot of flying insects would be around, in rainy weather some dirt tiles would turn into mud, which slows down the player, etc.) Each time you beat all 8 levels a day passes by, and the weather randomizes again (the type of weather is dependent on the season, which changes every 5 in-game days) On the level select, you can see the weather forecast for each level for the next 3 days. Sometimes, natural disasters can happen, such as tornadoes where you need to run through the level as quickly as possible before you get sucked up, and floods, where half the level's covered in water which blocks off access to certain parts of the level.

That's all I really have for the game, I haven't thought of a goal for it, and I'm not sure if anyone here's willing to do art for it so that's it.

the game's plot should be about a 7-day work week, in which a construction worker goes to 7 different sites and has to deal with ridiculous weather bullstuff between point A and point B

Hey guys, I could use a bit of help shifting me one way or the other. Ultimately I'm going to use playtesting to decide, but for now I just want some general thoughts.

I'm about to start work on my major project. I can either do:

• A unique, modern digital version of Cluedo that has far more gameplay options.
  • A point-and-click adventure based on a book that murders people which (gameplay-wise) has multiple solutions to each puzzle.
  • A puzzle game where, in order to solve each test chamber, you must modify the properties of objects and essentially hack the game (Basically, a 3D version of "Hack 'n' Slash" with a better story.

What sounds the most interesting to you guys?

What sounds the most interesting to you guys?
A puzzle game where, in order to solve each test chamber, you must modify the properties of objects and essentially hack the game (Basically, a 3D version of "Hack 'n' Slash" with a better story.

A puzzle game where, in order to solve each test chamber, you must modify the properties of objects and essentially hack the game (Basically, a 3D version of "Hack 'n' Slash" with a better story.
kinda reminds me of this
http://www.nitrome.com/games/changetype/