Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 440727 times)

kinda reminds me of this
http://www.nitrome.com/games/changetype/
Oh wow, this is actually really cool :D

Thanks for linking me, I think I found my newest addiction/"study item" for the next few weeks.

the game's plot should be about a 7-day work week, in which a construction worker goes to 7 different sites and has to deal with ridiculous weather bullstuff between point A and point B

I actually really like this

Do any of you build prototypes with cards/game pieces?

Do any of you build prototypes with cards/game pieces?
A lot. The reason I don't build many games is because most of mine fail in the prototype stage*. It doesn't take too long, it's nice and easy and you can take it around anywhere you go, in case you meet a group of people who would be interesting to test with.

*: The ones that were successful worked so damn well, but I've had to shelve them because they're simply too big to accomplish by one guy in the space of a year on a very limited budget. Right now I only have enough time to focus on one small-sized project for my Major.

Anyone else have the skill and want to make games but are too lazy and lack motivation?

i lack a place to start and the motivation to find that place to start

Anyone else have the skill and want to make games but are too lazy and lack motivation?

^

I'm perfectly capable of making games but I just can't find someone who can make graphics for me

make the game with crude graphics then show me

Pretty much.

i have the motivation but i always lose it about a week after working on one, and then i get inspired to make a new and different one. thus the cycle repeats

i lack a place to start and the motivation to find that place to start
explains why bbb never got done

explains why bbb never got done
well that is pretty true yes.
do not ignore that most of bbb is/was? in place still
bbb was just never done all the way :s
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:40:59 AM by Alphadin »

Have I told you guys how nerve-racking it is? Major Project is this year. That's 1 year to make something that gets marked by a bunch of people I don't know with criteria I don't know and that I then get to sell. And instead of thinking "Hey, I just want to make something I can learn from which is personally cool", all I can think about is "forget, I have to make something loving incredible that's going to outdo games like Super Meat Boy and Braid, and if I don't I'm going to be so disappointed with myself." Goddam narcissism.

I did a feasibility study on my Cluedo variant. I have to bin it for later. It's too big, and there's not enough time or people.

It's horrible since I'm not even a programmer, and yet I'm still better than everybody else at my college. And now I'm torn between doing something gameplay-oriented or story-oriented.

I think part of the reason I'm stressing over this is because this my career; there's no major studios to turn to, and I can't just move to America or Sweden. I'm pretty much locked into be an indie in a place where the market is stuff.

Let's just hope this alcohol gets stronger soon.

you've demonstrated here that you're p passionate about game design; i'm sure you can make some great stuff. the market needs good devs to help it develop too.