Author Topic: Why RTB going be Shutdown?  (Read 72431 times)

However in my opinion the Steam launch was underwhelming, badly co-ordinated and still has a number of non-trivial problems that haven't been resolved a month and a half or so later. Honestly I expected game development to be taken a bit more seriously given the potential for a much wider audience but it's just not materialised and I got bored of putting more effort into the game than the guys who make it.
hearing this from ephi is giving me a really weird feeling

Um, Return to Blockland did add those in...
Are you being sarcastic or something?
confirmed troll, avoid this user at all costs
Except that Port is right.
I'm not sure if you guys were around before RTB was made for retail, but auto-admin and changing your colorset are default features. Just less convenient to access default than through RTB.

The colorset was changed through config/server/colorSet.txt
Auto admin was through two server prefs, $Pref::Server::AutoAdminList and $Pref::Server::AutoSuperAdminList, which took a list of IDs separated by spaces.

thank you for clearing things up for us ephi. I understand your situation. It would seem like a good idea to hand RTB over to badspot thought. This service provided a lot to the community and it would be sad to see it go.
oh and just out of curiosity,  what company do you work for?
Badspot wouldn't take it. Most likely.

Oh many people know how little effort the guys are putting into the game. After T&I were removed, updates were supposed to come faster. All we got since was shadows and shaders which were done at the same time T&I were removed, then several months later, an fov slider, an almost instant fix to impersonations, and steam support.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:56:20 AM by Chrono »

just stop, what are you trying to acomplish?

What? People in this topic keep saying "what will happen to colorsets" and "what will happen to auto admin" and I'm just trying to point out that nothing is going to change in regard to those default features.

What? People in this topic keep saying "what will happen to colorsets" and "what will happen to auto admin" and I'm just trying to point out that nothing is going to change in those default features.
Not only are they default features, but you can still use those features of RTB even when the RTB service shuts down.

oh and just out of curiosity,  what company do you work for?
Ephialtes works for a pie factory. An anagram of ephialtes is "Please Hit" and "Lathes Pie"

New saying
"Please hit ephialtes"

why?

"I got bored of putting more effort into the game than the guys who make it. I offered to develop community features and services for free as an official part of Blockland but there wasn't much interest or follow-up on that"

Thanks you for that Badspot! ...

ephi should make a goodbye server on RTBs last day
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:32:36 PM by Brickmaster »

T&I were the downfall of the game to be honest.

T&I were the downfall of the game to be honest.
I think it started with greenlight
the shaders update didn't actually do any harm

Almost all the great servers died. One of my favorites was Jorger's RPG

No it definitely started with Shaders - They were incredibly disappointing. I dont believe Ive played with them on in months because theyre so ugly, and as a return for the update we ended up losing Terrain and Interiors. Had the game actually ended up looking as nice as it did in the screenshots it wouldnt have been that bad but instead were stuck with awkward looking blob shadows.

Im at the point where I can assume any major update Badspot announces will be incredibly disappointing. Physics? Awesome we can do so much with that! Oh wait theyre client-sided. Shaders? The game will look amazing! Oh wait it actually managed to look less attractive than it already did. Steam? Wow think of all the new players, think of the workshop integration, oh wait absolutely nothing changes.

Almost all the great servers died. One of my favorites was Jorger's RPG
I guess that could be a problem but it depends on how you play the game. I never really played on those servers

and you have a point too colt. similarly, the actual shaders never really affected me because I couldn't play with them anyway. but I was still able to enjoy the new environment settings, which I was happy with

I guess that could be a problem but it depends on how you play the game. I never really played on those servers

and you have a point too colt. similarly, the actual shaders never really affected me because I couldn't play with them anyway. but I was still able to enjoy the new environment settings, which I was happy with
Yeah the environment settings are awesome, but they were separate from the shaders. We couldve still had day/night and enviro settings with interiors I believe.

We did have a large boost in players when first on steam though