Poll

-unused-

Sieg Kaiser
23 (63.9%)
Die Kaiser
13 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: StarMade - On the long road to Beta!  (Read 93478 times)

Keep this stuff drama free, boys.

star-made.org
Steam page

official steam trailer

What is this?
- StarMade is a voxel-based space flight shooter. Ships are made up of thousands or millions of tiny blocks, ranging between regular hull or other functional system blocks.
- Explore: Explore space generated in real time around you
- Design: design you own ship or space station.
- Customize: create customized weapons, harvesting elements, shields and docking stations for your ship. Combine elements to groups to make your modules even more powerful.
- Multiplayer: full multi player: share control of your ship or design a ship together
- Destroy: destroy your enemies with your powerful weapons or just infiltrate an enemy ship. There already is a big arsenal of destructive modules: Missiles (normal, heat seeking and target chasing), Lasers, and Explosive modules that detonate on impact
- Salvage: salvage the ships of your fallen enemies to gain credits
- Physics: fully integrated modern physics engine for real box-on-box collisions
- Stealth: use radar jamming and cloaking modules for a surprise attack.
- Multiplatform: runs on windows, mac and linux
- Share: save, import & export your own ships as blueprints. You can upload your blueprints to any multi player server
- AI: fight your own creations alone or in coop mode
- Tutorial: interactive tutorial to learn the basics
- Game options are fully customizable. Don't like space friction? Disable it!

Current INCOMING FEATURES
  • FTL(Warpgates, Jump drive)
  • Server List
  • Build templates (think duplicator saved dupes)
  • Redone Universe generation
  • Directional Thrust
  • Changes to how ship mass is treated
  • Faction system revamp, including territory system
  • Trading
  • Crew
  • Procedurally Generated NPC Factions
  • Fauna
  • Sound
  • Soundtrack

MUH SPACE ENGINEERS
Comparing the two is inane at best. As far as construction goes, Starmade is lego designer kit to Space Engineer's Duplo. As far as technical goes (i.e. block functionality/complexity) Space Engineers comes out on top. I refuse to compare graphics because they're not even in the same field. You don't compare Minecraft to Crysis, do you?

Quote from: Weapon Info
Weapons are made up of four separate systems. Each weapon system (with the exception of one) can be linked to another weapon system as a "slave". This slave system lends a specific characteristic to the weapon system. Furthermore, a tertiary effect module can also be linked to the master weapon.

The current systems (and their effects) are as follows.
  • Cannons - shoot standard projectiles, penetrates armor. Functionally identical to AMCs. Special effect as slave is ROF buff, damage nerf.
  • Beam - solid laser beam of death, tears up ship systems. Special effect as slave is range buff, projectile speed buff.
  • Missile - Standard version is a dumbfire missile. Adding slaves adds further functionality. Special effect as slave is shotgun effect with slight damage nerf.
  • Damage pulsar - AoE close range damage bubble. Special effect as slave is HUGE damage buff, HUGE ROF nerf.

Effect modules can increase the effectiveness of weapons in several different ways. Current in game effects are as follows:
  • Pierce - distributes damage to multiple blocks on a single entity
  • Punchthrough - conserves extra damage to continue through and possibly hit multiple targets.
  • Explosive - doubles hull damage and lends slight explosive effect.
  • Ion - doubles shield damage, reduces hull damage.
  • Push/pull - replaces damage values with actual kinetic force. Can theoretically be used to tow/stop ships.
  • EMP - Subtracts the amount of power used to fire the weapon from the power supply of the targetted ship.

Also you can link a light/crystal to your master module computer to change the color of the projectile/beam/missile.
screnshuts

Looking for people to play with?
Join the Formiden Colonial Mandate on TAW.net! Speak to dessler for fast-tracking through the recruitment process.
 149.56.20.127:4242
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:48:35 PM by comr4de »

I always thought about trying this game but never really did.

I could never get the hang of building proper ships.

How does one do round planets with cubes. Wouldn't they end up diagonal to the surface in some areas?

I always said I'd come back to this when they made progress, But all they seem to do is balance changes.

I always said I'd come back to this when they made progress, But all they seem to do is balance changes.
hold on hold on I'm getting pics of the new planets and post in info on the new weapons

Oh is there a reason to go to planets now?

MUH SPACE ENGINEERS
Comparing the two is inane at best.

Looks good, but you should fix this.

How does one do round planets with cubes. Wouldn't they end up diagonal to the surface in some areas?
Dodecahedrons.

Looks good, but you should fix this.
No.

I think inane is the correct word to use in this situation.

Oh is there a reason to go to planets now?

Mining/manufacturing will no longer require actually scooping up the physical blocks for use in manufacturing. The crystals present in the new dev build will be found in resource veins on planets. Mining beams will extract the resources but slowly render the crystals useless except for decoration. Basically it sucks up all the useful stuff and leaves the blocks. You'll also be able to toggle mining beams between "pick-up blocks" mode to "drain resources" mode.

wait explain the dev incompetence thing

Dodecahedrons.
So like... every face becomes a seperate set of cubes? What happens at the sides? Wouldn't there be a gap and/or overlap?

So like... every face becomes a seperate set of cubes? What happens at the sides? Wouldn't there be a gap and/or overlap?
There's an overlap at each edge. Probably should've clarified that, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:08:23 AM by comr4de »

I think shields should have like modules for how much shield cap they have so little fighters don't instantly die.

I think shields should have like modules for how much shield cap they have so little fighters don't instantly die.

Little fighters are made to go up against little fighters. This is where strategy comes into play.

It's generally not a good idea to go up against someone who holds the biggest stick when you only have a pebble.

Also, nice OP, comrade.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:25:15 AM by ResonKinetic »

Cool!
Is it on steam?
Is it free?