So, what've I missed?

Author Topic: So, what've I missed?  (Read 124061 times)

ok kalphiter is watching us
Update (6 August 2014):

The owner of the game (Badspot) has silently banned "Heedicalking" from the game's official forum. Heedicalking is an important person in terms of the servers he hosted and his contributions to the community. Heedicalking often talks about the lack of game development on the forum in the most mature way possible. Development has in fact been lacking recently: in fact, there hasn't been a major update in the last 2 years. Many people were expecting him to be banned for simply criticizing the game's development, and voilà, he has finally been banned. The owner of the game is getting extremely defensive towards anyone who dares talk about the game's lack of development.

For reference, here are the kinds of things he says:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=264261.msg7761486#msg7761486
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=264261.msg7760949#msg7760949

This is what he responded with on a new account after he was banned:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=264261.msg7761486#msg7761486

the thread's probably gonna get locked soon since it's been derailed and badspot doesn't like listening to valid arguments
you sound like a forgetin moron right now do you realize this

Kalphiter
HMMMMM... I vote for Heed :)
He has no game development experience if I recall.

someone post badspot's "might does not make right" quote to tezuni pls

If someone didn't already post this,
Badspot changed his avatar, unknowingly releasing a strain of "Khanflu"
It spread throughout the forums, infecting 2.5/4ths of the forums.

If someone didn't already post this,
Badspot changed his avatar, unknowingly releasing a strain of "Khanflu"
It spread throughout the forums, infecting 2.5/4ths of the forums.
i am immune

...because no matter what i try i cant change my avatar

Badspot

• Administrator
Modders are still complaining about a lack of features/documentation.
This is total bullstuff.  Almost all gameplay features are open source and use the same add-on system that is exposed to modders.  The add-on system is easy to use, reasonably compartmentalized, the gamemode system provides accessibility for uninformed users.  There is no game that has better mod support than Blockland. 

I'm interested in hearing the motivation behind some of the developments, like SpeedKart or the Xmas gamemode or the gamemode system.

The idea behind the gamemode system was to provide a way for creative people to package their gameplay creations and share them with other people.  One of the central complaints by new users is that you just get an empty box and it's hard to know what to do - you can join a server and see some really cool game mode or build, but how do you run something like that?  Well with gamemodes, the people who know what they're doing could package up their cool server config and release it for other people to use. 

However, that's not what happens.  There is this toxic concept of "idea stealing" that is deeply engrained in the community so that no one ever releases anything that they've made.  They run a server, then they stop and their creation is never seen again.  No one is allowed to play with their ball without them. 

I don't know if there isn't enough glory in releasing a game mode or if Blockland just appeals to the wrong end of the psychological spectrum or if there some other flaw in the system, but this is the problem.  It's not technological, it's sociological. 

I remade speedkart to show people the potential of the gamemode system and to make a fun game based on community creations, and all people do is stuff on me for "stealing" it. 

I can't think of any other games that have better modding support, though

that doesnt mean they dont exist
there are so many more games that have better modding support you have to be extremely ignorant to say that your outdated game has the best

that doesnt mean they dont exist
there are so many more games that have better modding support you have to be extremely ignorant to say that your outdated game has the best
Find one that has better modding support and we'll happily agree that you're right

ive never been worried about someone taking my build/game and using it for their own fun, it's flattering

Boulder dash has something north of 700 downloads by now? accumulated from boink's filehosting and the rtb file. i'm always glad to see it on the server list.

people just don't know how to share

gee i wonder why he hates the game now lol

you guys really are starfishs to him, seriously
wow you are such a rooster sucker jesus christ.
Badspot doesn't seem to understand that if your game has a community and it's dependent on the updates (as blockland is) that it needs to be updated atleast once a month or something. But what i don't seem to understand is that badspot traded dirt for stuff. Yes maps looked bad, and yes they caused some bugs. But v21 is worse because before v21 i didn't get any problems. And now blockland is buggier than before. The only reason he updated it was because he hated maps (also he wanted more money). But what i dislike about him the most is how, lets say i get perma'd once or twice. Then i am offically a problem user i should be banned on sight even if i had changed.

User was banned for this post
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:54:15 AM by Badspot »

Gmod has okay mod support