So, what've I missed?

Author Topic: So, what've I missed?  (Read 123639 times)

maxx said he had rabies and hasn't posted since

Quote from: Maxx's Profile
Last Active:  Today at 06:51:24 PM

I don't know if you were here for "The Storm," (I think you were) but a bunch of people got hijacked and stuff. evidently they might make a comeback this 21st. (Whoever "The Storm" was messaged a bunch of tumblr users something along the lines of "A storm is coming on the 21st.")

I don't know if you were here for "The Storm," (I think you were) but a bunch of people got hijacked and stuff. evidently they might make a comeback this 21st. (Whoever "The Storm" was messaged a bunch of tumblr users something along the lines of "A storm is coming on the 21st.")
what's annoying is how stupid they look but they can actually pull it off

what's annoying is how stupid they look but they can actually pull it off
even then i dont think it'll make them look scarier or something

nothing has changed in the game and ephi left after realizing how lame the development is.

In the years I spent developing stuff for Blockland, Badspot never responded to any of my emails except one. I was asking about the parameters for miniGameCanDamage and if the order held any significance. He replied with the function declaration and added nothing.

(direct quote)
function miniGameCanDamage(%attackingClient, %victimObject)

See, this makes me sad more than anything. I can't understate how much learning TorqueScript, and then making the CityRPG website, did for me. I learned object oriented programming, a lot of concepts I'd never of picked up just by browsing websites or going to classes. I discovered MySQL, PHP, the combination of CSS/HTML/JS, all in the pursuit of making a mod that'd people would want to play.

Badspot never really cared about the modding community, when the biggest selling point of his game was the mods. Ephialtes did way more to make development fun and enticing and he did way more to support people by sharing his knowledge. All Badspot had to do was reach out to people. Making a wiki with commonly overridden methods and functions would have been immensely helpful to everyone.

Instead, he sort of despised modders. He constantly stuff talk how low quality add-ons were. He acted like having to make add-on packages easier to install was a bad thing that shouldn't be expected of him. He made accessible features harder to utilize because of things like people spoofing his name and constantly showed contempt for his own user base.

I respect Badspot's success in his industry, but I my personal feelings towards him are negatively skewed in the same way that you might feel about a neglectful father. I feel he let his community down, and I feel he never really cared. The game was a business to him and nothing more.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:15:15 PM by Iban 5s »

Instead, he sort of despised modders. He constantly stuff talk how low quality add-ons were. He acted like having to make add-on packages easier to install was a bad thing that shouldn't be expected of him. He made accessible features harder to utilize because of things like people spoofing his name and constantly showed contempt for his own user base.

I respect Badspot's success in his industry, but I my personal feelings towards him are negatively skewed in the same way that you might feel about a neglectful father. I feel he let his community down, and I feel he never really cared. The game was a business to him and nothing more.
if you're looking for a good read, try this and then this. i think that's the most badspot's talked about the 'future' of this game.

if you're looking for a good read, try this and then this. i think that's the most badspot's talked about the 'future' of this game.
Badspot's gonna do what he wants to do. I empathize entirely with his point about not wanting to continue work on Blockland just because it's not fun anymore. That's how I felt about CityRPG which is why it never reached the polished state I desired of it. I also don't want to pick sides in any sort of long-standing feud. I got my $20 out of Blockland.

Though if you're looking for something Blockland-ish to invest time in, look up Space Engineers. loving awesome little game in alpha that actually gives the early access system a good use. I hope to see a lot come out of it.

Badspot's gonna do what he wants to do. I empathize entirely with his point about not wanting to continue work on Blockland just because it's not fun anymore. That's how I felt about CityRPG which is why it never reached the polished state I desired of it. I also don't want to pick sides in any sort of long-standing feud. I got my $20 out of Blockland.

Though if you're looking for something Blockland-ish to invest time in, look up Space Engineers. loving awesome little game in alpha that actually gives the early access system a good use. I hope to see a lot come out of it.
well i linked it because you mentioned about badspot despising modders, when he says right in the topics that he wants the game to feed into itself through mods and continue growing that way. he also talks about how instead of looking for updates, people should work with what they have. i don't agree with it at all, but i think it's interesting how he says the opposite of what you think he thinks.

well i linked it because you mentioned about badspot despising modders, when he says right in the topics that he wants the game to feed into itself through mods and continue growing that way. he also talks about how instead of looking for updates, people should work with what they have. i don't agree with it at all, but i think it's interesting how he says the opposite of what you think he thinks.
My opinion comes from what I've seen. I can't say he loves the modding community, but he does recognize its value to the game. I just don't think he now cares, or ever has cared, enough to cultivate that into something thriving. A great place to start would be a wiki.

I think the biggest problem with the relationship between modders and Badspot is that the majority of them are very young and Badspot doesn't like interacting with children.

An anti-Blockland subreddit was made.

Is Titanic done yet? Are we going to end up with a Titanic server with the bounty hunter game mode any time soon? Maybe super murder mystery on it so it'd be like "The Ship".

Are you even working on the Titanic anymore?