Author Topic: So, what've I missed?  (Read 124337 times)

I'm just annoyed vehicle physics are still really buggy. That's it.
Like tears.. in.. rain

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Magic Carpets exploding off the surface of Slate Aurora. I watched rocket trails soar in the sky over the kitchen sink. All, those, moments, will be lost in time...
Like tears... in the rain.

blockland with its great mod support. has no way of sharing mods.
wr use to have a guy do it for us for fun. but it was unofficial and bound to come to an end.

all that cool stuff in the videos that sell this game. people cannot use. they get a vanilla blockland and the only way to addon is to instantly be a dedicated forum member and dig and dig and beg.

i can see people getting frustrated and bored very easily.
You're right, the game really does need a new mod loader pronto. It's the one thing missing from the mod support.

unlike garrys mod, which doesn't have a specific style, blockland has one. its legos, you are lego people using lego guns living in lego houses driving lego vehicles
have you ever seen one of bushido's guns? look at one of those and compare it to an actual gun for a lego minifigure
another excuse people try to use is that they're supposed to look like toys. that style they made up and started to claim was blockland's style may look toyish. but you know what else toys are? model cars, for example!

that does not look bulky, and blocky, like bushido's guns, or khain's, or any of those. yet it's still of a moderately fitting size for a lego minifigure
one great example of a GREAT idea was an old army man addon. like, the little green army men. I haven't seen it in years, but it was so cool. definitely fits better with the concept than some fat guns with brick sounds

Lol

Iban comes back and things go to stuff

How many people were banned in this topic?

but you know what else toys are? model cars, for example!

that does not look bulky, and blocky, like bushido's guns, or khain's, or any of those. yet it's still of a moderately fitting size for a lego minifigure

I really doubt a minifig would fit in there

i agree with night fox, get rid of the style bullstuff, or at least expand it. all it does is restrict modelers and discourage others.

but stuff like what miga's talking about keeps people from sharing their stuff. that's harmful, definitely. what's the point in having fun game modes and stuff if they're just gonna be exclusive to one server? or building a nice house or something. sure, pictures of it are nice, but I wanna play with it. not just look at it

I have no problems with saying I was responsible for doing this back in the day and that I definitely was one of the idiots in the community that berated Badspot for the way he did everything involving this game and his actions here on the forums, and I feel bad for all of it because he's just a game developer trying to work on a very open-ended project he's been working with for around 10 years now, and people are choosing to not take advantage of the customizability and then having others blame him.

Badspot, outside of this game, has much more to deal with and can't devote absolutely all of his time to Blockland. Plus, if he has children screaming in his ears all the time, that's not encouraging at all and from what it sounds like, it's starting to discourage him from doing anything.

I would like to add that the one thing I do like about bushido's guns is the way they reload. if some kid was playing with legos, what better way to pretend they're reloading a gun than to make some vague reloading-ish motions
that particular example is a little small but I'm certain you get the point

the only way that would work is if there were other things there to make it look normal, like a big addon pack full of model cars in a more toyish looking town

however, as is not the nature of the game. no matter how you mod the game, you can't get away from the lego building aspect of the game and unless you managed to completely rework the building system to make it viable. stylistically it just wouldn't work at all, and while i understand that maybe that doesn't matter too much you have to realize that blockland is a very stylistic and consistent game. you could deviate if you want but people wouldn't adopt it unless it was really good

The point                           

-snip-
Maps were definitely more popular than you say. People don't put effort into large-scale terrain in their builds today, so that part of Blockland (loving around on Slopes or exploring the Bedroom or playing Jorgur's dogfight) is severely lacking now. People aren't able to make large-scale terrain easily enough that it would revive this kind of play.

Hence the term modding. Modding has limits, and half the challenge/fun is trying to bend those limits without relying on dev support. To have total creative freedom would require you having the source code, and by that point you're pretty much making your own version of the game.
I'm not asking for unlimited possibilities. What is currently possible is really restricted, is all.

QA SESSION #1

What about physics?
Vehicles and bricks?

Not having to deal with interiors + terrains makes it a lot easier to make brick and vehicle physics really good.

What about using new engine?
We can't afford to not put out updates for 18 months while we rewrite everything. We can make incremental changes and get big improvements in the short term. Killing interiors + terrains is a big step towards a brighter future. Bigger than buying a copy of Unity.

How about using height maps to generate unbreakable bricks as terrain?
I think something like this would be really smart.

Official BLB tools?
Less work on interiors/terrain == more time to spend on stuff like this.
This post definitely implies certain developments, like vehicle physics, tools and engine changes. (it doesn't technically imply terrain bricks, just calls it "smart") None of this was delivered on. It would have been cool to see at least some additions to the game that would enable users to replace terrain easier. (like improved vehicle physics or floating brick support) Simple things like workshop supports would enable users to obtain mods easier (especially in absence of RTB) and give modders incentive to keep doing what they're doing.

Also deleting Heedicalking's posts was uncalled for, even if he's been a richard over the past few months. (which IMO he hasn't) I saw nothing inflammatory in either post, in fact I remember he specifically said he wasn't going to pull any punches.

i think i've listed this before..

suggestions list:
WaterPhysicsVehicle class
Helicopter Class
packet size increase (playertype downloads corrupt because more than 1kb of animation names/causes ghosting lag)
.ifl download support
vehicle physics improvement
turn the terrain mission editor into a brick terrain mode. make it so you can use brushes to sculpt terrain out of a 4x4, 8x8, or 16x16 cubescape plane.
setNodeColor for items
can we even remove/move the groundplane?
more images slots/ability to mount multiple images to one slot
environment zones
water improvement (still no waves!)
buildable vehicles
technics bricks/moving parts
moving objects support (if I stand on a moving platform, I should move with the platform)
better light effects ie spotlights
raise projectile speed
better light effects ie spotlights
raise projectile speed
player turn limit (like 45 degrees for mounted turrets) and player turn speed cap
projectile collision models
increase brickcount
anti water zones/bricks
bigger than a copy of unity

i don't care about hats as long as we get some new gameplay features and fixes.
You claim that these suggestions are "brilliant never before seen stuff" but honestly, a lot of them don't seem that unreasonable. A lot of these suggestions would actually help improve the game. For example, the helicopter vehicleclass would allow players to create functional helicopters that don't risk crashing the server.

I don't understand why heed's post was deleted. He was trying to be level-headed. Apparently opposing views are not allowed? I must've missed this rule.
forgot to include this

What in god's name is this thread?

I can't tell if it's an uprising or a tarpit.