Poll

Should you be kicked from the server when you die?

Yes
No
I'm 50/50

Author Topic: What Remains - Open World Zombie Survival PvP (Public v1.5)  (Read 10640 times)

Introduction:
This project is highly based off elements of DayZ and Project Zomboid. It also includes ideas from various people throughout the community.
I couldn't have done any of this if it wasn't for the enormous amount of help from all my friends throughout the Blockland community. We did it guys.

Todo List:
Map #1 (Generated/Hand-Built)
Map #2 (All Hand-Built)
Custom Zombie Sounds
Custom Ambient Sounds
Moodles (Emotions): Anxiety, Tiredness, Hunger, Thirst, Sickness, Wetness, Inpain, Passed Out (Moodles/Emotions are based off this)
Bleeding Out?
Vehicles In-Game
Custom Vehicle Handling
Vehicle Gas
Vehicle Locking
Food/Water Items
Medpack, Pills, and Syringes
Blockombat Weapons
Custom Ammo Boxes
Avatar Locker (Can't Change Avatar In-Game)
Disconnect On Death
Hardcore Mode (Death = 1 Hour Ban)
Custom Player Sounds
Port's Footsteps Mod
Possibility To Drop Item On Damage
Damage Popups
Click To Pickup Items
MARBLE MAN's Flashlight and Headlight Mods
Player Persistence
Oxygen Mod (For Underwater)
Sleeping
SMMBlood and SMMBodies
No Self Delete (Ctrl + K)
Local Chat
Anti-Invite Mod
Spawn Invincibility (For 20 Seconds)
Connect-Spam Auto Banner
Impact Damage (In Vehicles Too)
Vignette On Damage
Hidden Kills, Deaths, Join/Connect Messages, and Leave Messages
Vehicle Drowning
Custom Item Spawning System
Custom Zombie Spawning System
TTMelee
Custom Playertype
GSF's Item Storage Mod
Daniel.S' Interior Models
Weather
GUI?
Dream-World Idea
Radio Communication?
Zombies Drop Loot?
Salvage?
Global Containers?
Zombie Variety?
If Infected, Green Vignette?
Better Emotion Info?
Better Zombie AI?
Medication Variety?

Credits:
Nobot - Lead Coordinator/Builder/Ideator/Sounds Designer
I organized the entire project and contacted people for help. Duped every building into city areas. Added support bricks for floating bricks to every house. Placed interiors in every house. Placed zombie spawns, item spawns, vehicle spawns, and player spawns around the entire map. Named every city and edited the picture map. Gathered ambience from various sources, looped them, and exported them to .ogg. Contributed to item spawning percentages. Did majority of the roads and majority of brick deletion.

ZSNO - Lead Coder/Modeler
I coded the entire gamemode. Generated entire map landscape using my own custom terrain generator. Modeled the ammo boxes. Contributed to item spawning percentages. Contributed to placing roads.

Sylvanor + Cohort Clan - Lead Builders
We built most of the buildings. We made most of the buildings enterable.

Tetris - Graphic Designer
I made the What Remains logo based off the Project Zomboid logo.

JamJar - Ideator
I came up with the 'dream world' idea.

Kazami - Ideator
I came up with the name of the project.

Niblic - Builder
I built some props.

Nymph/F1sh - Builder/Aid
I built a mini gas station. Contributed to brick deletion. Contributed to placing roads. Aided in duping.

Navaro - Builder/Aid
I contributed to brick deletion. I built the tents and campfires.

Obnasious - Builder/Aid
I contributed to brick deletion. I built some props.

OrkusBorkus - Builder/Aid
I contributed to brick deletion. I built some props.

Cortunix/Executioner173 - Aid
I contributed to brick deletion. Contributed placing roads.

Conan - Coder
I helped fix the radio communication mod.

Pictures:

Maps:

If you want to make a map of it yourself, feel free to post it on here and I might add it to the OP.

Will keep this topic updated and post on various things we may need to add.
Don't be afraid to post your ideas, as well on how we could make this mod better, although, don't be insulted if we do not use your ideas. They are only suggestions.
Also, feel free to report server issues on this topic. Your reports will help us make the server better.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:27:36 PM by Nobot »

Currently Fixing (09/26/15):

Some of the encumber items being too heavy.
Ammo staying on multiple characters.
Bicycles not getting killed when they go in water.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:36:30 PM by Nobot »

forget anyone who said this project wouldn't get finished

EDIT: you should add some sort of build system
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:20:45 AM by Damp »

forget anyone who said this project wouldn't get finished

EDIT: you should add some sort of build system
Yeah I was thinking of something like salvage, a way to destroy blocks and then add blocks onto the map. Maybe sometime in the future we may experiment with that.

Yeah I was thinking of something like salvage, a way to destroy blocks and then add blocks onto the map. Maybe sometime in the future we may experiment with that.
yaaaaaaaaaaay

i noticed that you lose loaded ammo on disconnect, like if my pistol had 8/22 ammo, if i rejoin it suddenly has 0/22, even if i left it in my active inventory

there's a workaround by placing the weapon in your backpack, which unloads the magazine from the gun, but this should be noted in OP
EDIT: it doesn't work if you put the loaded weapon onto another unloaded weapon in a stack. But now with gun stacking disabled, i guess this doesn't matter.

I also noticed a TON of weapons spawning relative to ammo. Over the course of an hour I picked up like 8 guns but only two ammo boxes, none of which fit the guns I had.
Also food/water spawns are vastly less common than weapons; idk if this is by design or an oversight. i'd expect a survival to contain more elements of survival than just weaponry, which for me only comes into play during PVP

On another note, if you need help with terrain, I can probably help you guys out. pm me if you're interested.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:00:27 AM by Conan »

i noticed that you lose loaded ammo on disconnect, like if my pistol had 8/22 ammo, if i rejoin it suddenly has 0/22, even if i left it in my active inventory

there's a workaround by placing the weapon in your backpack, which unloads the magazine from the gun, but this should be noted in OP
Oh, I didn't actually know that you could place it in your backpack so you don't lose any ammo. Lol. I thought you lost ammo either way.
I guess that's a helpful tip in a way, not sure if it should necessarily be directly in the op.

I also noticed a TON of weapons spawning relative to ammo. Over the course of an hour I picked up like 8 guns but only two ammo boxes, none of which fit the guns I had.
Yeah, we need to change the spawn percentages of guns and switch it around. You should find ammo more often than weapons.

Also food/water spawns are vastly less common than weapons; idk if this is by design or an oversight. i'd expect a survival to contain more elements of survival than just weaponry, which for me only comes into play during PVP
Food and water in general will be less common because they are less needed right away. It takes quite a while before your hunger or thirst is depleted.
Although, I do need to make weapons much more rare it seems.

On another note, if you need help with terrain, I can probably help you guys out. pm me if you're interested.
Right now we have a [WR] Building Server up. If you want to make props or etc you are free to do so, but I don't think we need help with terrain.
You may want to speak with F1sh, he is working on the second map for What Remains I think.

Yeah I can fix that real quick. Basically this system was made so you don't get infinite ammo.

Wow, this looks great
I'll have to boot up ol' Blockland again to give it a go.

I really love these kinds of games. Good Luck on the work!

another issue i just noticed today is if you join the server and appear in a house/town that happens to have a zombie. It can kill you before you manage to ghost the area. Maybe have zombies despawn in a certain radius after player spawn...?

also you can have negative hp...?
http://puu.sh/knSmk/231ba37a07.jpg
I disconnected the server with 1 hp left, then reconnected a couple minutes later and that happened.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:31:42 PM by Conan »

When you spawn, you have (in theory) 20 seconds of spawn protection.
Did you actually die, or did you just think that you could?

so

i just spawned, got hit by a zombie once and apparently got poisoned or sick or something and spent my time wandering from settlement to identical settlement looking for something to cure me (which i'm convinced didn't exist), got a bunch of guns that were all totally useless, some random jackass tried to run me down and i jumped into his car and killed him with a knife and then instantly got kicked from the server with the message "YOU ARE DEAD" in all caps despite obviously having killed him, but when i rejoined the server i got a nice long look at a physics based corpse which implied to me i got killed by a straight up forgetin physics bug

and that entire time i did not fire a single forgetin shot because nothing even begins to threaten you once you get a melee weapon and the cars are garbage and the map is obviously duplicated to the point that you can see the baseplates and i can't even find any documentation or ask questions because server chat isn't on and i haven't found anyone who didnt immediately try to run me down and kill me with bullstuff physics bugs

and now, immediately after this post, i respawned walked 5 feet forward and found another gun

so

i just spawned, got hit by a zombie once and apparently got poisoned or sick or something and spent my time wandering from settlement to identical settlement looking for something to cure me (which i'm convinced didn't exist), got a bunch of guns that were all totally useless, some random jackass tried to run me down and i jumped into his car and killed him with a knife and then instantly got kicked from the server with the message "YOU ARE DEAD" in all caps despite obviously having killed him, but when i rejoined the server i got a nice long look at a physics based corpse which implied to me i got killed by a straight up forgetin physics bug

and that entire time i did not fire a single forgetin shot because nothing even begins to threaten you once you get a melee weapon and the cars are garbage and the map is obviously duplicated to the point that you can see the baseplates and i can't even find any documentation or ask questions because server chat isn't on and i haven't found anyone who didnt immediately try to run me down and kill me with bullstuff physics bugs

and now, immediately after this post, i respawned walked 5 feet forward and found another gun
Yeah, we need to change the spawn percentages of guns and switch it around. You should find ammo more often than weapons.

iirc i don't think anyone ever said this game/gamemode is complete

but yeah there needs to be more info for newcomers, and maybe a radio system to communicate when you find radios in houses or something

also:
http://puu.sh/knTzE/9b1798f90f.jpg
i have three pistol ammo, and two sniper ammo
six shotguns, two battle rifles, two assault/PDR
handcuff keys??
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:53:18 PM by Conan »

hey i just found my own corpse

i died exactly where i had killed the guy who 'killed' me

the jeep was nowhere to be found and my body didn't even tumble or anything from the momentum of being in the car it looks like i just forgetin fell out of the jeep and died

what the actual forget what is even happening