How do we force darkness on people without shaders?

Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 29435 times)

I don't believe that a stuff ton of people know how to counter client add-ons.

I do believe a stuff ton of people would get taught by others who found out on how to counter that, if it was ever to be put in effect.

I do believe a stuff ton of people would get taught by others who found out on how to counter that, if it was ever to be put in effect.

I'm willing to take that risk.

I don't believe that a stuff ton of people know how to counter client add-ons.
Someone publicly releases an add-on that does that once and the method will be ruined forever.

I can easily tell if someone is blind as a bat or is successfully navigating through a dark area by cheating,

The whole game, it makes it so that you don't lag to hell by not loading bricks you can't see basically
more specifically, it hides the faces that are covered up by another brick. I think it also combines faces that are side by side?
but it doesn't just hide bricks that are not visible to you, like if you're in a house, the bricks outside of the house in front of you are still being rendered, even if there's a wall between you and them

more specifically, it hides the faces that are covered up by another brick. I think it also combines faces that are side by side?
but it doesn't just hide bricks that are not visible to you, like if you're in a house, the bricks outside of the house in front of you are still being rendered, even if there's a wall between you and them
I was just giving a quick explanation because I didn't know for sure if what you just said was true or just something that someone said unknowingly, didn't want to misinform
but yea

The point is to optimize box searches and raycasts, and combine several close-together bricks into larger vertex buffers. It actually doesn't have anything to do with hiding covered faces.

For example:

You can see how it doesn't go down to individual bricks, the smallest cubes are 4 TU wide and contain about 50 bricks each.

If you want to run a raycast from the camera to the skyscraper, it's completely pointless to check collision for bricks in cubes that the ray doesn't intersect. The same goes for box searches. Without this structure you'd have to test collision for every single brick!

Another use is that if a cube is out of your view, the bricks in it aren't rendered. Unfortunately the nodes are way too small and you end up with thousands of them for large builds like blockoseattle. Now blockland checks whether 10000 nodes are visible on your screen, every frame... this is why rendering many bricks is so CPU intensive.

Is server side fog even possible?

it's called environment visible distance

it's called environment visible distance

And that does what? I just showed the difference between off and minimum.

Standard:

Minimum:

You can have the visible distance shoved right in their face but it doesn't matter because without fog builds will still be as bright as ever

unfortunately for you visible distance is the closest thing to "fog" you can get

except for spamming fog B emitters